Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimal packing trip planner, a tool

Inspired by @melminimalist’s post on the “Always Carry” list I thought it would be fun to share this tool I developed to help streamline my packing. I showed it to my colleague who is traveling with me for our next work trip and she was all starry-eyed disbelief. It feels really logical to me. Maximize outfitting, minimize on-the-go decisions, reduce the fluff from my stuff. With a look I’ll describe as, “I want a shiny pony, too!” She asked me to send it to her. Attachment 20334

Depending on the length of my trip I do 2-4 tops, 1 fewer bottoms than tops, 1-2 shoes. I do plan on laundry but wearing each item 3 times (maybe 4?) is more than ok by me. This... formula... means I never repeat an outfit and ensure that my total travel wardrobe makes solid outfits. I have some futzing to do on this upcoming trip since I would also like to take a dress for business dinners. We’ll see though! I’m working on an all-dress list, too. I’ll add it to the link below when it’s ready.

I’m excited to share this but it feels weirdly vulnerable, too. I hope you enjoy the tool and if you are interested in downloading a copy for yourself, here’s the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...599Uv31iyylZoE

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SarahJaneMakes I'm super curious to see this tool, and thanks in advance for sharing your thinking! I'm afraid the attachment link comes up as invalid, though, and the Google Doc requires a permission request. Might you be able to open up the access there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SarahJaneMakes, I tried to download the link too. I'm really struggling to pack for a short flight this week to visit my son (Th-Sun). I'm determined to use my NFTD for the first time and either an Imago or Maker's Bag. I've got other choices (S25, SA, WF), but I'd like to make the NFTD work. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Google docs link opens for me.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awsome! Thank you for sharing it. I've seen "ultralight packing lists" mention things like 5 tops 3 bottoms, but I didn't know how this would work in practice.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve gone in and readjusted the the permissions. Anyone with the link should be able to view now!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your spreadsheet, thank you for sharing. I do the same planning but with small drawings in a notebook. If I change my mind, I need to redraw all outfits Smilie I was wondering, the cardigan is your “warmest” layer? No jacket, coat, etc?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's really cool! I like that idea a lot. I'm offering a tweak in return: I've made a modified copy where if you enter the items in sheet 2 in the "individual items" column, they'll fill in automatically on sheet 1. That way you only have to enter each item name once, and don't have to keep track of whether it's top 1 or top 2 when you're entering it, etc. Here it is: https://goo.gl/MmXvcd

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    I love your spreadsheet, thank you for sharing. I do the same planning but with small drawings in a notebook. If I change my mind, I need to redraw all outfits Smilie I was wondering, the cardigan is your “warmest” layer? No jacket, coat, etc?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
    Thanks for the kind words! I see the outfitting grid as seasonless and then add a jacket or coat if needed, it’s in the other items list below the grid on the right.
    This next trip I’m debating a jacket or a rain jacket simce we’ll be visiting just before the big rainy season starts... any jacket has to pack small enough to fit on or get strapped to my bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's excellent, @SarahJaneMakes! (and nice efficiency tweak, @aedifica!) I like that the formula means you can be flexible but also efficient. Thanks for sharing!

It's silly, but whenever I work out my general list of clothing for travel, I find I have to draw the list (with my sad, childlike drawing skills) because I can't quite visualize the clothing in words somehow. So I end up drawing, say, 5 shirts in one row, 2 pairs of pants in the next row, etc. Helps for repacking later, too, but looks utterly ridiculous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use either Closet (iOS) or Stylebook and make packing lists from there. I end up with printable things like this to work off of or and image to glance at on my phone/iPad.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahJaneMakes View Post
    I hope you enjoy the tool and if you are interested in downloading a copy for yourself, here’s the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...599Uv31iyylZoE
    Thank you so much! This is a really great idea and super helpful. Smilie

Pasadena, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredlet View Post
    I use either Closet (iOS) or Stylebook and make packing lists from there. I end up with printable things like this to work off of or and image to glance at on my phone/iPad.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    This is super helpful! I’ve been needing something like this for ages. Thank you!

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar system, though it's directly visual. I'll settle on (say) 2 long-sleeves, 2 short-sleeves, and 2 bottoms as a good amount of clothes to bring. Of course I adjust it for season, activities, etc.

I then lay my tops/shirts out on the bed, shoes on the floor, and sort of do a cross-diagram to figure out whether everything I'm packing matches most of or all of everything else. Here, her's a little diagram.

Shirt shirt shirt shirt

Pants pants shorts

Shoes

Then I'll also have out any hats, sunglasses, accessories. Socks go on top of the pants.

I can just see at a glance whether everything goes with everything else. Over time I've more or less developed a system where pants/shorts are gray or blue, shirts are complimentary to that, but with patterns. Then I match the sock colors to the shirt colors, shoes to belt, and sunglasses to pants.

My wife is proud. Wink