1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning some new things at IAD this morning

I'm at IAD, waiting to board a flight to SFO.

United just announced that boarding groups 1 - 4 may bring a carry on bag and personal item. Boarding group 5 may bring only a personal item. This is the first time I've heard this announcement (what you experience when you don't come running to the gate after everyone has boarded .

I don't know if this is related to a less expensive ticket, or how one ends up in boarding group 5. I have a United credit card which always gets me into boarding group 2; I remember ending up in boarding group 5 once, I forget how. But I don't recall such an announcement for that flight.

The other new thing I experienced today was that security scanned just my ID, not my boarding pass.

My Brain Bag is packed pretty full, but I can pull out my Daylight Briefcase and cut it's depth in half if its size is an issue. I plan to do that once I get to my seat anyhow. It's just easier to board with the one backpack on my back.

What did I pack?

Rear main compartment of the Brain Bag has:
    * my Daylight Briefcase with my MacBook in Cache, iPad in Cache, notebook, power adapters, earphones, and pens inside.
    * Birkenstocks in a packing cube
    * Nano Puff Jacket
    * Small Cafe Bag to use at my destination

Front main compartment of the Brain Bag has:
    * Packing cube with 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of underwear, and a pair of socks. And I just remembered that I packed one t-shirt and underwear too few. Lovely!
    * Packing cube with a pair of shorts and yoga pants
    * Deluxe Spiff Kit with toiletries

Lower front pockets:
    * One has hat, gloves, protein bars
    * The other has wipes and tissues

Top pocket:
    * Wallet, lip balm, mints

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maverick; 04-13-2018 at 03:15 AM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is correct on the cheaper tickets with no carryon.
    The boarding pass think is odd. Did you have a paper boarding pass. Mine is always on my phone and the phone goes on the scanner and they match your name on the ID to the boarding pass.

Brain Bag is the next bag I want to get. All my big bags are Original Halcyon and for this I wanted to mix things up with Alphaviolet. It went out of stock while I was deciding and is the one color that is not scheduled for new production. Sigh.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH MY! YEAAAAAAAAAAH
    After making my reply I decdided to check out the Brain Bag page and magically an Alpha Violet has appeared. Perhaps a return. Done!!!!!!

Each day I’d been checking to see if one was returned. It had been long enough that I gave up. Must have only been one because now back out of stock.
    Last edited by tebnewyork; 04-13-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same announcement on JetBlue last week. I don’t know that it was a cheaper ticket or just that they anticipated running out of room.

And we had the same “only ID” check in Boston.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 04-13-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Luminary with a MCB Freudian Slip or Cache, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, multiple PCSB and OP in lots of pretty colors

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On United, the last boarding group is "Basic Economy" that it doesn't include a full-size carryon bag. As for being cheaper tickets... when United and the other major airlines rolled out Basic, ostensibly to compete with ULCCs, they simply made the lowest existing fare bucket into Basic and the next rung up into regular econ. So, yes, they're likely the cheapest seats on the plane, but those unfortunate folks are paying the same as price they would have paid for regular econ with seat selection, carryon bag, etc. before the advent of Basic.

I don't think Jet Blue has rolled out a Basic Economy product yet, so it's likely that the announcement Traveltech heard was because overhead bins filling up.

Interesting to hear about just an ID check at IAD. My most recent home airports, DTW and MSP, still check both boarding pass and ID. Maybe it's a REAL ID thing??

Hope your flight was uneventful, and enjoy SF!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the passengers affected by the announcement seem surprised by it?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly JetBlue a lot. Probably four times a year because I visit my family in Maryland, and prefer flying to driving. One of the reasons I like them is that they don't have an insane number of "classes" and options. But they do run out of overhead space sometimes. At least the seats are generously sized and I've never had trouble fitting my Western Flyer, Smart Alec, or even A30 under the seat in front of me. (Though these bags are relatively small compared to rollers, and even when the overhead bins are 'full' they frequently slot in.)

Another Jet Blue tip: Since it does not cost extra to choose a seat, you can always select one near the back to get on early. (They board back to front, though recently they tweaked the system so that if you have a window seat you are also more likely to be put in an earlier boarding group. For years, I sat in row 21, because that always gave me early boarding; now you can sit slightly further up if you are in a window seat and still board early.)

I tried to figure out the system exactly, but no one who works there seems to be able to tell me the precise algorithm. But at any rate, I switched strategies and now sit up front so I can be among the first to de-plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Same annpuncement on JetBlue last week. I don’t know that it was a cheaper ticket or just that they anticipated running out of room.

And we had the same “only ID” check in Boston.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you are referring to the TSA process in front of the terminal and still needed a ticket to board at the gate? It would be strange if the airline at the gate didn't want to see an electronic ticket on your phone or a paper ticket.

I only very rarely fly United, but American has a lower tier fare (group 9) that allows only a small personal item. American ranks boarding by type of person and then class. Usually, active military and handicapped board first (they had an entire cheering group for someone going on a Make a Wish trip to Disney, which I thought was really nice). Then they board first/business. Then they let in people with higher status (groups 2-4). People who pay for premium economy or something more upscale within coach get group 5, and then everyone else is groups 6-9. I believe only groups 6-8 are ranked by position in the plane. Delta is very similar, although their process breaks down a bit as every Delta terminal I've been in is crammed with stores, leaving very little room for the line, and it ends up being a jumble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Did the passengers affected by the announcement seem surprised by it?
    I didn't notice any looks of surprise. They announced a few times that they wanted 15 volunteers with roll aboard suitcases to check their bags, but no one volunteered. So they eventually said that the rest of the roll aboards would need to be checked. Interestingly, there was plenty of empty space in the overhead bins, at least in the part of the cabin where I was sitting.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I'm assuming you are referring to the TSA process in front of the terminal and still needed a ticket to board at the gate? It would be strange if the airline at the gate didn't want to see an electronic ticket on your phone or a paper ticket.
    That's correct -- it was at the entry to the security check that only and ID was required. The boarding pass was still required at the gate.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    That's correct -- it was at the entry to the security check that only and ID was required. The boarding pass was still required at the gate.
    I flew both domestically and internationally this week. Boarding pass and ID required for TSA for both flights. ID (passport) required only at international gate. An announcement was made that we could put our ID away when boarding domestic flight. No need to show it.

Domestic flight said they needed to check 16 carry on bags due to full flight. Mentioned last boarding group--group 9-- would be affected if not enough volunteers.

The flights were on JetBlue and British Airways respectively.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    THey're testing this system in a few places. Basically the scanner is tied into the airlines' reservation systems, if you're on a flight from that airport that day, they'll clear you in. Makes it harder to forge a boarding pass.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I'm flying JetBlue out of Boston next month, and am bringing a carry-on instead of my beloved checked bag. I'll be a bit annoyed if I have to check my bag anyway.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished another round trip Jet Blue flight from Boston this morning. I would just change your seat to be closer to the back of the plane. That practically guarantees overhead space. I was happy to tuck my Western Flyer in front of me and ignore the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Interesting. I'm flying JetBlue out of Boston next month, and am bringing a carry-on instead of my beloved checked bag. I'll be a bit annoyed if I have to check my bag anyway.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the TSAPre check at SFO this morning, both the boarding pass and ID were requested. Boarding pass scanned, and the ID just visually inspected. At IAD, the ID was run through a machine. As Frank II mentioned, they appear to be testing this at select airports.

We stayed at a hotel near SFO (Westin) so that we wouldn't have to deal with traffic getting to the airport this morning. I was surprised that parking at the hotel was $30 for self park / $40 for valet. So I returned the rental car last night, and took the hotel shuttle to the airprt this morning. I think this was a good idea regardless of the parking fee, as it meant one less thing to take care of this morning before the flight.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    -m

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast