Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with 2 bag carry - Backpack and Shoulder bag

I just purchased a pilot with absolute strap to go as a personal item along with my osprey Fairview 40 carry-on. Maybe it's just me, but I can't figure out how to comfortablely carry both on my shoulders.

My initial thought process was that the pilot would act like a purse that I could easily do across my body over the backpack straps. Unfortunately, in my tests, the strap keeps sliding off my shoulder and wraps around my neck instead which is not comfortable. If I try one shoulder, the backpack straps eventually slip off the pilot strap completely.

I could try putting on the pilot and then the backpack, but then I'd have to take everything off to take off the pilot.

For anyone that does this type of carry, what is the trick? Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the same basic thing... only with a Smart Alec or an A30 on my back and the Night Flight or Co-Pilot with the strap.
    Didn't work for me either, the shoulder straps and cross body strap interfere too much for me. A much smaller Side Kick is mostly ok with the lighter/smaller strap...

But in general, if I can't fit everything into one bag, I put the heaviest/most awkward bag on my back and carry the second bag by the handle. The Pop Tote is great for this.

Even when I single bag, I often use a Small Shop Bag as my under the seat in-flight bag... I just ensure I have room in my single bag for the stuff in the SSB and pull it out to carry on just before boarding.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    For anyone that does this type of carry, what is the trick? Thanks!
    Disclosure: I've never actually done this with a backpack, but I *did* do this while baby wearing (which is pretty much like a human backpack).

Unclip one end of the strap on the pilot, and lift up slightly on your backpack to release the tension and you can take the pilot off without removing the backpack. Getting the pilot back on will probably require taking the backpack off though.

OR you can put the backpack on and then the pilot, then "tuck" the shoulder strap of the pilot under the strap of the backpack. The weight of the backpack should help keep the strap on your shoulder instead of on your neck.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    Disclosure: I've never actually done this with a backpack, but I *did* do this while baby wearing (which is pretty much like a human backpack).

Unclip one end of the strap on the pilot, and lift up slightly on your backpack to release the tension and you can take the pilot off without removing the backpack. Getting the pilot back on will probably require taking the backpack off though.

OR you can put the backpack on and then the pilot, then "tuck" the shoulder strap of the pilot under the strap of the backpack. The weight of the backpack should help keep the strap on your shoulder instead of on your neck.
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I tried the same basic thing... only with a Smart Alec or an A30 on my back and the Night Flight or Co-Pilot with the strap.
    Didn't work for me either, the shoulder straps and cross body strap interfere too much for me. A much smaller Side Kick is mostly ok with the lighter/smaller strap...

But in general, if I can't fit everything into one bag, I put the heaviest/most awkward bag on my back and carry the second bag by the handle. The Pop Tote is great for this.

Even when I single bag, I often use a Small Shop Bag as my under the seat in-flight bag... I just ensure I have room in my single bag for the stuff in the SSB and pull it out to carry on just before boarding.
    Thanks! I originally had the idea to use a packable backpack for my flight, but I couldn't get the packed bag into my backpack (my mistake, should have piecemealed my stuff into the big backpack and thrown the compressed backpack on top) so I resorted to just carrying the whole thing outside of my backpack. It wasn't comfortable to carry it around, so that's where I got the idea of getting the Pilot to just carry it on my shoulder outside my main bag at all times. I could try the packable backpack idea again and see if it works on my upcoming trip. If it does, I'll have to return the pilot because I only bought it to use on flights.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had decent success with wearing either a Pilot or Co-Pilot cross body over my Smart Alec on trips. Then the Pilot or Co-Pilot rests in front of my body rather than on the side. I will see if I can find either an old post or photo, just in case that would help to visualize.

Let's see if I can link to my post with photos:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...html#post65493
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 05-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this with a Pilot/Maker's Bag and SA/A30 but prefer the Standard Shoulder strap over the Absolute strap. It can be a bit bulky but it is comfortable.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    I could try putting on the pilot and then the backpack, but then I'd have to take everything off to take off the pilot.
    This is how I always do this type of carry. Put on crossbody bag first, then backpack. I'm much more likely to want to take the heavier backpack off first anyway, and then the valuables in the crossbody bag are still on me while I deal with taking off the backpack. Also, I use a standard strap (with any strap pad taken off, actually) when I have to combine bags like this--the Absolute Strap is nice on its own but too bulky and sticky to move freely for me when backpack straps are involved.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    This is how I always do this type of carry. Put on crossbody bag first, then backpack. I'm much more likely to want to take the heavier backpack off first anyway, and then the valuables in the crossbody bag are still on me while I deal with taking off the backpack. Also, I use a standard strap (with any strap pad taken off, actually) when I have to combine bags like this--the Absolute Strap is nice on its own but too bulky and sticky to move freely for me when backpack straps are involved.
    Thanks! Unfortunately, when you order the absolute strap, it doesn't come with the standard strap. I do have the crossbody strap that came with my osprey though and it has no pad. I could give that a shot.

And you're probably right about wanting to take off the backpack before the pilot since the pilot has the more important things and won't be as heavy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case this helps, I tend to use a mini SOS strap https://www.amazon.com/TECH-USA-Mini...mini+sos+strap with my Pilot or Co-Pilot - like a small version of an Absolute strap. That way I get the same cushion and grip without the bulk. While I have found it be more comfortable for me to wear my crossbody bag on top, so the weight rests on top of my backpack straps, whatever works best for you is the way to go, since other folks prefer the opposite. Good luck!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this all the time. The key is to wear your shoulder bag as a crossbody. While you COULD wear this over the backpack straps, it will likely be considerably more comfortable if you don your crossbody before donning your backpack. This is also more secure; you'll experience less bounce, and nobody will be able to steal your shoulder bag.

By the way, the Absolute Strap is too much for a Pilot or Co-Pilot. I'd use the simple strap instead.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I do this all the time. The key is to wear your shoulder bag as a crossbody. While you COULD wear this over the backpack straps, it will likely be considerably more comfortable if you don your crossbody before donning your backpack. This is also more secure; you'll experience less bounce, and nobody will be able to steal your shoulder bag.

By the way, the Absolute Strap is too much for a Pilot or Co-Pilot. I'd use the simple strap instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried out putting on the pilot before the backpack last night and it was comfortable. Unfortunately, it's too late to try the standard strap. They seem to include one or the other depending on if you decide to upgrade. The absolute strap didn't seem to get in the way though, and especially if the weight of the backpack is going to put more pressure on it, I'll be glad to have more padding. I'm going to be carrying 5 to 7 lbs of stuff in the pilot, so I wanted some more support with the shoulder bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I have had decent success with wearing either a Pilot or Co-Pilot cross body over my Smart Alec on trips. Then the Pilot or Co-Pilot rests in front of my body rather than on the side. I will see if I can find either an old post or photo, just in case that would help to visualize.

Let's see if I can link to my post with photos:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...html#post65493
    Thank you! I can't quite see where it rests on your shoulders though, that's where I was having issues wearing it over the backpack straps. I tried it under and it seemed comfortable enough, but time will tell on whether the extra weight of the backpack straps will cause the shoulder bag to dig into my shoulder too badly.