Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Packing socks and undies

Are you using a 3DOC? A stuff sack? Putting them into a larger packing cube with your other clothing items? Just wondering...

Theresa in Indy

P.S. I'm loving my NFTD, a lot for the shock value! No one believes I can travel for 4-5 days with it! I've figured out a rolled pair of jeans and my clear 3DOC/311 bag fit well in one end pocket. Trying to balance the other end with a sweater/hoodie rolled in the bottom and something else on top...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use Eagle Creek Specter cubes since I have them from pre-TB days and a separate Bagallini thin laundry bag...

Recently I bought one of the new TB A30 laundry cubes and have used it for one trip so far... I liked how it worked for socks & stuff, so I'm contemplating buying one in the other colour.
    I used the cube in a Smart Alec and it worked well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the Eagle Creek Specter cubes. I also have Tom Bihn cubes, but the EC ones fit particularly well in the NFTD. Stuff sacks work too; it depends on what else you are packing and how they fit in conjunction with everything else. The nice thing about the EC's is that they are so light, I can use as many as I need to subdivide my clothing.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 05-21-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use an eagle creek packing cube. Or I pack them in outfit sets, one outfit per packing cube. Or I leave them loose and stuff them around in the corners of the bag. It depends how many I have and the bag's shape.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Ditto on the Eagle Creek Specter cubes. I also have Tom Bihn cubes, but the EC ones fit particularly well in the NFTD. Stuff sacks work too; it depends on what else you are packing and how they fit in conjunction with everything else. The nice thing about the EC's is that they are so light, I can use as many as I need to subdivide my clothing.
    Which EC cubes work best in the NFTD? I am often a bit overwhelmed by the many different ECs on offer. I have considered the half cubes but I think I would have to leave an inch free on one end, is that right?

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Ditto on the Eagle Creek Specter cubes. I also have Tom Bihn cubes, but the EC ones fit particularly well in the NFTD.
    You're using the small cubes? Or extra small?

I have one of the small REI Co-op expandable cubes. The last time I put t-shirts in it, and then added socks to fill up the space. Might work better to use it as a compression cube?

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I've been using boxer shorts and undershirts, rolled up long and thin, around the corners of packing cubes to counteract "footballing". Same with socks, though if I have an extra pair of shoes then I'll put the socks in the shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Which EC cubes work best in the NFTD? I am often a bit overwhelmed by the many different ECs on offer. I have considered the half cubes but I think I would have to leave an inch free on one end, is that right?
    As described by @kkintea, the ones I used were called EC half-cubes at the time I bought them. However, the EC line has changed, and with it, possibly, the sizes, so it's worth testing out the cubes in-store before purchasing. If that's possible. But they are so thin and crumply that I'd guess anything close in size would work. The smaller ones (quarter cubes) should be ok too.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a CQPC for undies and socks. Fits perfect in the end pocket of the NFTD.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mini Lewis and Clark expandable cube or small snake charmer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been known to stuff my socks into my extra pair of shoes (when I have to take some)...

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I've been known to stuff my socks into my extra pair of shoes (when I have to take some)...
    same here. otherwise (or when Iím not taking an extra pair of enclosed shoes), iíll usually use both socks and drawers to fill in gaps between items in the bag to even out any lumpiness, and then corral them in a lightweight net bag once theyíve been worn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Are you using a 3DOC? A stuff sack? Putting them into a larger packing cube with your other clothing items? Just wondering...

Theresa in Indy

P.S. I'm loving my NFTD, a lot for the shock value! No one believes I can travel for 4-5 days with it! I've figured out a rolled pair of jeans and my clear 3DOC/311 bag fit well in one end pocket. Trying to balance the other end with a sweater/hoodie rolled in the bottom and something else on top...
    I love. My NFTD...went a week in it pretty easilySmilie . http://fredletstravels.com/category/bags/nftd/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently flew with my NFTD and Imago combo for a four day trip and put a Superga sneaker (size 40) in each NFTD end pocket and used a small Snake Charmer packed with small clothing items on top of each shoe. That was a pretty efficient use of those end pockets. I also pack socks in shoes.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredlet View Post
    I love. My NFTD...went a week in it pretty easilySmilie . http://fredletstravels.com/category/bags/nftd/
    I've read your reviews, and love the original halcyon/UV combo! Since I'm so late to the TB game, I got one of the last NFTDs in black ballistic with the NWS lining. I'm waiting for the small snake charmer in UV. (All the other colors showed up yesterday...)

And if you think you can pack a lot into your shoes? We met my son at the airport after he graduated from bootcamp, with his computer, his phone and his cowboy boots! We had socks, rolled up t-shirts, joggers and a L/S pullover packed into them! It saved room in his big backpack and helped keep his boots from getting squished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast