Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so weird that we're all coupled with the same person.

I'm not making this up. My wife's toiletry stuff is substantial enough that on a solo trip she did, she used my Aeronaut 30 just for toiletries. Her trip length? 10 days. She had a maximum sized checked bag for it.

Her travel style vs my travel style are sort of why I go on solo trips or with my own friends sometimes. 30 liters was enough for me on a recent trip to Colombia, Peru, and Mexico City for 6 weeks.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, here.

Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions-img_20171220_121352-jpg

This is for a road trip, so her toiletries are separated out on the right there.

Send help.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your in good company. I pack a sandwich bag of toiletries, my bf packs a bag with three kinds of shampoo. Also, he never cleans it out, pretty sure there are a bunch of empty bottles in there. And yet, he never has Tylenol, something which he knows he needs EVERYTIME! Apparently, it's just easier to assume I have some (which I do, just because I know he never takes any), ahhhh!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife does the same thing. It's a bit ridiculous. Although I think our upcoming trip to Mexico is going to force her to cut it wayyyyyy back.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bouncing, my mom does that with the same type of bag and everything (hers is red) LOL

I once had a suitcase about the same size as the purple one in your photo. It was a pretty nice Samsonite hard-side spinner that I bought it on sale because I thought: I've always traveled really light, maybe I am missing something. I should give traveling heavy a try just in case I've been really misguided all these years. I lasted through ONE trip like that, and gave the suitcase away to my sister-in-law. It was literally anxiety inducing to me to even have it in my closet.

Now, at least, if anyone says don't knock it til you've tried it re: a big checked bag, I have a solid answer.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to see how I evolved in my travel packing in the last 20 years, with my husband and now family of 3. On our first trip as a couple (it was the Yucatan peninsula on a penny, before the Riviera Maya was named that way... a long time ago) my then BF said "you will have to carry everything you pack, that is all I ask of you" (basically his only request in 20 years). It gave me pause and I adjusted my "plans". I kept improving in the following years. Now that our son is 13 and can carry his stuff himself (since he was 10 I would say?) when we travel we each have one bag and one personal item. The boys have 38 liters rollers, I have my aeronaut 30. And I was the overpacking girlfriend 20 years ago
    Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions-onebag_family-jpg

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Actually, here.

Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions-img_20171220_121352-jpg

This is for a road trip, so her toiletries are separated out on the right there.

Send help.
    You need to post a picture of how fabulous she looks with all those toiletries applied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím wondering if thereís a correlation between being organized TB packers and planning trips in general.

I am currently super frustrated with my husband as we just found out a trip heíd hoped for has sold out. Our traveling companions booked the trip 6 weeks ago and sent us all the info. As this was HIS bucket list trip and he was always fussing over my uber-planning, I decided to let him take the lead. Unfortunately he stalled and now the trip is gone.

Heís the last minute packer whoís always missing something at the destination. Iím the one who has that Ďmissing somethingí (anticipated) in my bag...

Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be the exception that proves the rule. I basically never plan anything and pack at the last minute. Generally, I find "missing something" to be a good sign, I'd rather buy something on the road every once in a while than carry a bunch of stuff I probably won't need "just in case".

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    I'd rather buy something on the road every once in a while than carry a bunch of stuff I probably won't need "just in case".
    Agreed... Plus, looking for toiletries in foreign drug stores is an adventure!

I do a fair amount of "just in case" but it's really stuff that I carry with my EDC anyway like ibuprofen and bandaids. (Though being prone to headaches and a klutz, I think these things get used more often than not.)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of planning before I pack, but that doesnít mean taking lots of things. Iím just making sure that everything works out like itís supposed to, for my own peace of mind. But my packing gets faster each time! Iím also not a fan of taking things just in case. I found that even if having something might be nice in a specific situation you often can do without it. In three weeks Iíll be going on vacation to Majorca for one week and both me and my travel buddy will make do with cabin baggage because weíre used to packing light. Iím looking forward to it!

Btw, weíve also been together to Italy a few times, always for a week and only with cabin baggage. All the others in the group had huge suitcases (including the men). And one of my male friends had so many toiletries with him that he could have gone half a year without buying new...

Forum Member
    Central Kentucky
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh, some of these posts make my anxiety flare. I am the super-organized, way-in-the-future planner. Our vacations are usually arranged at least six months in advance, and packing begins no later than three weeks before the trip. Not that we carry lots of stuff; I just want to MAKE SURE that what we have is exactly what we need. I still get a little overzealous in the cosmetics department, but I've found that if I convince myself that I really CAN only use one eyeshadow for the whole week, I end up much happier on our trip. I pack for the both of us. DH is brought in about a week prior to departure to approve/disapprove what I have for him to wear, and then I get it all put in the packing cubes, and into our cases.

I also have control issues, if you hadn't already guessed.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím with you @barks - love the planning and packing so much that I begin months before the trip.

Just returned from a two week biking trip in Europe. Great trip, wonderful people, but we were shocked when we saw the luggage being hauled onboard. I could do a round the world trip with some of the suitcases.

Hereís a picture of the group leaving the barge. Note my carry-on with the TB zSSB on top. (zSSB carrying my bike helmet and SE),You can use that to estimate the size of some of the other bags. Yikes!!

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always fascinated by travel stories and packing strategies. I start packing 20 mins before I leave for the airport. I check for the approximate weather and know exactly what Iím taking, the perks of a capsule wardrobe and a travel toiletry bag that stays packed at all times. A lot of my gear and packing strategies are from this forum. At this point If I pack more than an A30 itís because I decided to adopt a ďIf you can beat them, join themĒ mentality for a particular trip.

I donít judge the packing of others but Iím always grateful that Iím not a slave to carrying stuff. Very grateful.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím generally prepared in a ďgo bagĒ type situation. I have clothes that I use for travel and these are stored in packing cubes in the cupboard. When I am going somewhere they get out into the bag. My travel wallet and various organiser pouches and first aid kit etc is all in the same place and get put into bag in its place. Maybe at most 5 minutes.

Toiletries and electronics is a 2 minute job after that.

End packing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast