Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions

Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions-my-suitcase-jpgTravel brings out the differences between you and your companions-his-suitcases-jpg

Nothing like travel to highlight differences in traveling companions.

I recently returned from a trip to Cape Breton with my spouse. I carefully planned and curated a capsule wardrobe and fit everything other than my outdoor gear into my Aeronaut 30 (and packed a couple of days ahead). My husband packed most of his closet other than heavy duty winter clothes and packed into 3 rolling suitcases (one max carry on size, the other two smaller) the morning we left.

Since we moved every night or two, it was so easy to just carry my bag and my Pop Tote from the car to the room each night, and my husband required at least 2 trips. Yes, I did point this out.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Travel brings out the differences between you and your companions-my-suitcase-jpgTravel brings out the differences between you and your companions-his-suitcases-jpg

Nothing like travel to highlight differences in traveling companions....

Since we moved every night or two, it was so easy to just carry my bag and my Pop Tote from the car to the room each night, and my husband required at least 2 trips. Yes, I did point this out.
    This is hilarious! My husband is similar. He will bring a garment bag poorly stuffed with suits in addition to a half full Tri Star and a Pilot for a 3 day conference, complain about the rumples from the garment bag, and still forget to bring stuff.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha! I think my husband would be like that, too, if left to his own devices.

I pack for my husband, and he likes the way I pack for him. But I would have thought after 35 years, he would have gotten the hang of how I do it, since he actually watches me pack for him. And I make him pick out his clothing, so he's involved in the process. He's just not involved in the actual Tetris - ing of the packing cubes.

On our last trip (1 month in Europe), I told him that we were each taking an A45 and that's it. He actually liked it a lot. It was our first trip with an A45 and a minimal wardrobe, and we were thrilled with how well that bag worked.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-02-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too funny! Though not as funny when his bags require us waiting at the baggage carousel after all.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true. On the same 1 month trip, my Dad and sister both checked their bags, and we had to stand around forever waiting for their bags to show up. If it had just been me and hubby, we would have been done and gone an hour earlier at every airport.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-02-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be the token husband who packs the bags for the Queen. She's tried, God bless her, but invariably gives up before even having picked out all the clothes.

It's not limited to the packing, as we enjoy entirely different kinds of vacations as well. She'll prefer a poolside good book for a week, while I'll take a long weekend overseas to do an ultra-intense sightseeing trip and pass out on the plane home. Understandably she isn't a Bihnion. We even vacation separately on occasion.

She's off to Israel next week with a women's group some friends roped her into, and it is a VERY busy itinerary - just my kind of vacation! - but I suspect she'll find it exhausting. She graciously accepted my packing advice and assistance putting together her kit, so her main bag is a small carryon roller with a backpack for the plane and the first 2 days of clothes, with some laundry provisions. Tried to get her to go wheel-less carry-on only, but the reality is she is going to be yoked to a gaggle of matched-luggage-lugging fashionistas, so checking the bag makes the most sense. Any free time she manages to get will probably not be backpacking the bazaar, but napping off the jet-lag.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    yoked to a gaggle of matched-luggage-lugging fashionistas
    LOL--this phrase so perfectly encapsulates my travel nightmare that I may steal it!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so happy my husband packs as lightly as I do. Although a lot of times he just physically stuffs things in rather than rolling items or using packing cubes. And when things were all going to fit into his Smart Aleck for our two-week trip to South Africa last month, I "encouraged" him to use my Brain Bag... and he did!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I pack for my husband, and he likes the way I pack for him. But I would have thought after 35 years, he would have gotten the hang of how I do it, since he actually watches me pack for him. And I make him pick out his clothing, so he's involved in the process. He's just not involved in the actual Tetris - ing of the packing cubes.
    I do this, too! But I like packing...
    Though if he argues with me over something to bring he isn’t allowed to complain if he needs it eventually and doesn’t have it

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    LOL--this phrase so perfectly encapsulates my travel nightmare that I may steal it!
    I'm imagining it will be AbFab^10

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It drives me crazy, my bf packs all wonky. He brings three pairs of shoes and never wears the third, takes a winter jacket even though he is always hot, packs three pairs of jeans and then wears shorts the entire time. He never pays attention to what he actually wears on vacation and packs wrong every damn time. But then...curses my ear off everytime we have to wait to check his bag and hen wait to get it from the carousel. I wish he would let me pack for him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really interesting that most people indicate their male companions pack more. In my experience, women tend to board airplanes with more luggage than men.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    It's really interesting that most people indicate their male companions pack more. In my experience, women tend to board airplanes with more luggage than men.
    Maybe in most everyday cases, but I believe those that are on this forum and are die hard bihnions, tend to be lighter packers that do more planning.

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Maybe in most everyday cases, but I believe those that are on this forum and are die hard bihnions, tend to be lighter packers that do more planning.

My girlfriend packs light, not because she loves TB (she tolerates my addiction), but because she doesn't want to carry heavy things! And she doesn't plan as carefully as I do either!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I'm single, female, and pack way lighter than anyone else of my friends & family - both genders.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast