Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't specifically ask this question, but I am naturally interested in the luggage situation (this being a forum for basically discussing luggage).

Generally (I haven't flown Delta recently; I don't know their baggage policies), domestic airlines will allow a small piece of luggage and a "personal item" to be carried on. Usually, this will be a combination of backpack/duffel/wheelie for the first and purse/briefcase/tote/backpack for the second. Airlines have varying policies on checked baggage, and many charge fees for checked bags. I'm not aware of any limit for checked bags, other than the fees. You'll see people who have checked mountain bikes, snowboards, etc...

In determining whether to carry on or check luggage, you will need to balance any anxiety you may feel about the possibility of a checked bag getting lost (not likely, but possible) against any anxiety you may feel about the possibility of holding up passengers in the aisle while you try to fit your overstuffed carry-ons into the overhead bin. On the other hand, if you can pack all of your stuff into a Western Flyer (or smaller) and an S25 (or smaller), you should be all set for easy carry-on!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among the big three (American, Delta, and United), Delta is pretty good aside from constantly being slightly late. American is very consistent but less friendly. United is the worst in my experience as they aren't consistent and aren't friendly. I avoid United as much as possible.

Across the carriers, carry-on size limits are generally 22x14x9. Most luggage labeled as carry-on compliant fit into this size restriction as it's the same for American, Delta, and United. I've taken a S25 as my personal item on Delta many times, and no one seems to care, but it's borderline too big. Delta and American have a 50lbs limit for each check-in bag and the three dimensions can't exceed 62 inches when added together, but I've never seen anyone actually measure the dimensions for checked luggage and I've been slightly overweight a few times on Delta and American and they just checked it in anyway. There is a limit to the number of checked bags, but it's pretty high (I seem to recall 10? but I'm sure it's smaller for really short haul flights). Most of the airline apps allow you to track you checked-in back, which helps with the anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out the airport maps beforehand, but also make sure to check the gate listing when you are at the airport. Things change pretty often, and you want to allow enough time to move to the new gate. I find that most airports have things pretty well signed, and it's not too hard to figure out where to go, but you can always stop and ask someone if you aren't sure!

Also, if you are taking more than one flight, make sure you have plenty of time between the two flights. I usually go for an hour at least, but even that makes me a bit nervous.

And lastly, be prepared but be flexible! Minor things always seem to come up, but you just have to roll with it!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delta isn't bad. Their planes are nice and the staff are usually decent. The only problem I have with them is that have a lot of boarding groups, and if you have no status or upgrades you will usually board towards the last. No big deal, but it's best if your carry-on bag can fit under your seat, so you will not be anxious about overhead space.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh View Post
    You didn't specifically ask this question, but I am naturally interested in the luggage situation (this being a forum for basically discussing luggage).
    So I'm planning on packing very light in my S19 for my carry on. Essentially just the clothes and toiletries for my 5 days there. My inner debate is whether to pack my large swift or my maker's bag for my personal bag. I'm planning on visiting the TB shop, so a little (ok A LOT) of wiggle room for a new bag or two is being accounted for too.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    So I'm planning on packing very light in my S19 for my carry on. Essentially just the clothes and toiletries for my 5 days there. My inner debate is whether to pack my large swift or my maker's bag for my personal bag. I'm planning on visiting the TB shop, so a little (ok A LOT) of wiggle room for a new bag or two is being accounted for too.
    Please post pictures on your return! Have fun!
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely recommend signing up for flight updates via text. It can be very handy if your flight is delayed or there are last minute gate changes.

I also recommend hanging out near the gate. At some airports I have a hard time hearing exactly what they are announcing over the PA.

If the flight is under 2 hours, I plan on using the restroom before the flight.

Do download a map of the airport.

If you have any inkling of motion sickness, plan accordingly. I have very severe motion sickness, so I take Dramamine about the time I get to the airport (1.5 - 2 hours ahead). I eat lightly that morning and generally will buy a Sprite or Ginger Ale at the airport after going through security.

If you're not used to flying, your ears will probably pop. I bring some gum or hard candy to suck on to help with the pressure.

Be sure to turn your devices to airplane mode when asked. Download a movie to watch before you go or have music on the device.

You will have to remove your shoes when going through security. There may not be a comfy place to sit and put them back on. I try to wear shoes that can easily be slipped on and off.

Also a no-brainer, never leave your bags with anyone or allow anyone to leave bags with you. When you're traveling alone, it's only a pain when you need to use the restroom. Many airports have updated stalls to a larger size to accommodate baggage, some have not.

If you're parking at the airport, note where you left your car and note hours that shuttles may run. I ran into this last year when we parked in a certain companies parking lot. They have free shuttles, but we neglected to note the time they stopped scheduled running. Our flight was late and it was about 15 or 20 minutes before we realized that automatic shuttles stopped at 10pm, we had to call for a special pickup.

If someone is picking you up from the airport, have them sign up for flight updates as well. That way, they'll get any change information while you're in flight and they can adjust accordingly.

Have fun. Flying can be a great experience. Yes, please post pictures of your experience and your shopping!

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delta. I've not heard good things, but they're the only carrier for my route.
    Once upon a time Delta was awful, but they've come a long way since I started flying and I'll take them over every other legacy carrier without question. It'll be fine.

(1) Are you flying direct or do you have a connecting flight? Connections and layovers will introduce more complications into your travel.

(2) If you are flying from a small airport, you may be on a small plane; you can find out on the Delta app or website exactly where your seat is on the plan and what kind of plane it is. Any seat layout that doesn't have middle seats usually has smaller overhead bins, and you may be forced to check a larger carry-on bag at the gate, so make sure anything you need in-flight is in a bag that will fit under a seat.

(3) How are you getting to the airport? Airport parking options can be a trial in themselves, it's always better to get a ride. Also consider how you are transiting after you land, various options for rental cars or transit stations at large hub airports can get confusing and it is worth looking at maps ahead of time.

(4) Google maps has a good level of detail of major airport showing amenities, restaurants, etc., it might be easier to use this if you are accustomed to it than to use airport directories.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While others have reminded you to bring ID, I think it might also be helpful to check out the TSA web site to see which IDs are actually acceptable. You can do that here:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
    Eat well, travel often.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I haven't seen yet is to check in 24 hours before your flight using the internet/phone app. Most airlines allow you to check in 24 hours before, this can save a little time and most people do it, so if you don't do it chances are if you don't have assigned seats already you'll get a worse seat.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    One thing I haven't seen yet is to check in 24 hours before your flight using the internet/phone app. Most airlines allow you to check in 24 hours before, this can save a little time and most people do it, so if you don't do it chances are if you don't have assigned seats already you'll get a worse seat.
    I did just get the email to check in, so there's one check mark off.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    (1) Are you flying direct or do you have a connecting flight?
    (3) How are you getting to the airport?

(
    I'm flying direct from a mid-size airport but it's considered a "Delta connections" flight. I'm very thankful to have a family member giving me a ride. Parking stinks at the airport.

South Pasadena Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Delta. I've not heard good things, but they're the only carrier for my route.
    We flew Delta in June, round trip nonstop Tampa to Detroit. No major problems.
    We always budget extra for extended seats. Regular seats make us feel like sardines even though we are 5'7" and 5'2" and not overweight.

We will travel Delta to Anchorage next Sunday with layover in MSP. Worked Reward Credit cards plus extra funds that allowed First Class for the flight. We are fortunate to be able to afford these little one-time extras when we retired.

Return after cruise from Vancouver to Salt Lake to Tampa.
    Will report experience when I get back.

Have a good time in Seattle. We went in 2010 and was one of our best trips; included the Olympic coast and Victoria-Buchart Gardens.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You're not allowed to stand up and use the bathrooms in the plane if there's major turbulence, take off & landing, etc., so go to the bathroom before you get on the plane.
    Definitely great tip on using the restroom before you board the aircraft. There is a little red lamp that comes on that looks like two belt buckles. When that is lit, it means you need to have your seatbelt fastened. But honestly, unless you're standing up to go use the restroom, always have it fastened. It's a good habit.

Nobody (including the flight attendants) are allowed to stand during takeoff and landing. If you try to stand up to use the restroom then, you will get in trouble! In general, you have to wait until the aircraft reaches cruising altitude (30,000 feet). That usually takes several minutes. Same with landing. The pilot will make an announcement in the PA system to tell you things like put your seat upright and stow your folding table. Once they get ready to land, you'll have to stay in your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones if noise bothers you - planes are noisy.
    And by noisy, it's just a general din that you can ignore (it's not like clunky engine noises). But without earplugs, you'll feel a little more tired.

When you get past security, walk over to your gate. Sometimes it's a bit of a walk. Depending on the airline, the order in which you board will be a little different. For example, Southwest does it differently from most; you board in order of how quickly you went online to check in for your flight on their web site. They let you check in exactly 24 hours before your flight, and if you can do so within the first 15 seconds, you will be able to get a spot in line with the A group. If you wait a while, you'll get a spot in the B group. If you're a true procrastinator, the C group. Within the group, you're assigned a number. You literally stand in a line next to your group and number, and everybody boards sequentially this way.

Most other airlines board you by groups and not by rows or queue spot numbers like Southwest.

When you get inside, you can show the flight crew who greets you, your boarding pass, and they will point you to which aisle to go down. Chances are you will be on an aircraft with two aisles.

If you have a small enough carryon, I recommend putting it in front of your feet in the space under the seat in front of you. You are allowed to stash your carryon in the overhead bins, but here is a SNEAKY SNEAKY THING: That overhead bin space is NOT reserved for the seat right under it! Anyone can put their bags anywhere. It is a pet peeve of mine, but there are people who are sitting in the back of the aircraft who stash their carryons in the overhead near the front of the aircraft (because they're afraid there won't be space above their own seat), and it takes space away from people who are sitting under those bins!
    I've seen people who have seats near the front, have to stash their carryons way in a back overhead bin because the bin space is taken up. How impolite; these people have to wait until everybody else has disembarked so they could o backwards and retrieve their bag at the end of the flight.

A window seat will definitely be a treat! But all the more reason to go to the bathroom before the flight. Since you'll need to step over or more likely, ask people next to you to leave their seats in order to let you in/out.

If the flight is more than a couple of hours long, however, please be mindful by turning down the shade. A lot of people like to rest and not have bright sunlight shining at them, and as the window seat sitter, it's in your control.

Once the plane has reached cruising altitude, the flight attendants will bring a cart out in the aisles and they will start their beverage service. Take a look at the in-flight magazine (it's in the seatback pocket in front of you) for a full menu of beverages. All the nonalcoholic beverages are complimentary so you don't just have to drink water.

Do NOT drink the tap water from the bathroom sink. Make sure you're getting fresh water from a bottle when the flight attendant comes by.

If you want a beverage even after the beverage service is done, you're allowed to walk back to the galley (kitchen) area in the back and ask a flight attendant.

Oh yes, and they are FLIGHT ATTENDANTS, not STEWARDESSES.

Depending on the airline and the length of your flight, they might offer you food you can buy in the form of a snack box or light meal box. Make sure you have a credit or debit card; they don't handle cash for these purchases. Some, like Virgin, let you order using the monitor in front of you (the entertainment system).

Your phone: Make SURE you put it in airplane mode. Some airlines, like Southwest, offer "free" access to their entertainment system on your smartphone. It lets you connect to the wifi to watch movies... but you will be charged for data access. The info will be in the in-flight magazine as well.

The air on a plane is very dry. Consider packing a little thing of hand lotion in your 3-1-1 kit. Make sure you move the lotion (and eye lubricating drops, throat lozenges, etc.) to whatever carryon you'll be able to access without standing up in your seat.

I do NOT have a tolerance for Dramamine. The stuff knocks me out cold and it actually makes me feel ill. Instead, I use ginger candy or candied ginger (both of which I can buy from Trader Joe's). You will definitely want some gum or taffy/caramel to chew during takeoff and landing to help you equalize your ears if you aren't used to that (I assume you don't scuba dive and know how to do it without chewing gum).

Have a great flight!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you go

Visit You local drugstore and buy sample sizes of your toiletry and health products and a box of Quart ziplock bags.
    You cannot have more than 1 Quart ziplock bag.
    Each item, for example, Conditioner, must be (Less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed)

The phrase 3-1-1 is used to describe 1 person, 1 ziplock, containers less than 3oz

The rule also applies to lip balm and deodorant as well as hair gel which in theory are not liquid but are treated the same.

More info here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../miscellaneous

When you arrive at Seattle airport.

To pick up your car, go to Level 3 baggage claim then head to Door 6 or 4, in front of the Delta carousels.

There is a bus that says rental car shuttle and it takes you to the rental car facility which is offsite.

https://www.portseattle.org/sea-tac/maps

SEATAC (airlines name for Seattle airport) has a whole page of info about arrivals
    https://www.portseattle.org/sea-tac/arriving

Seattle is a big and busy airport, make sure you arrive at least 2 hours before the return flight, at security.

Get to the airport, way before that, if you have to drop off your car.

Opt for shipping your Tom Bihn box of goodies, you don't want to have to check it, then not appearing in the carousel. Because you have no status with the airline, you will most probably be on the last group to deplane. Your box could have had several tours in the carousel before you get there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast