Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay attention to the flight attendant's safety speech prior to takeoff. Everybody has heard it so many times they just tune it out, but for your first flight please don't do this. This is a thing I learned from The Oprah Winfrey Show back in the 90s, about the time I took my first flight as a teen: know where the nearest emergency exit is to your seat and be aware that the closest exit can be behind you. The tip I learned that day and have told people ad nauseum ever since is to count the number of rows to the nearest exit. If someone tells me they're leaving for a flight, I say, "Count the seats and have a safe flight!" and they know what I mean.

My eldest sister has flown over 1 million miles and is an old hat regarding air travel, but she's been on two flights where smoke has filled the cabin shortly after takeoff and the oxygen masks deployed, forcing the plane to turn around to land. People panic (and it's one of the reasons why flight attendants are trained to repeat the same instructions loudly over and over again in emergencies), and my sister said that after the initial shock, she knew Exit A was x number of rows ahead, and Exit B was y number of rows behind her and that kept her much calmer than most of her seatmates. Especially so now when many people's first reactions are to make a call or video with their cell phones ...

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Pay attention to the flight attendant's safety speech prior to takeoff. Everybody has heard it so many times they just tune it out, but for your first flight please don't do this. This is a thing I learned from The Oprah Winfrey Show back in the 90s, about the time I took my first flight as a teen: know where the nearest emergency exit is to your seat and be aware that the closest exit can be behind you. The tip I learned that day and have told people ad nauseum ever since is to count the number of rows to the nearest exit. If someone tells me they're leaving for a flight, I say, "Count the seats and have a safe flight!" and they know what I mean.

My eldest sister has flown over 1 million miles and is an old hat regarding air travel, but she's been on two flights where smoke has filled the cabin shortly after takeoff and the oxygen masks deployed, forcing the plane to turn around to land. People panic (and it's one of the reasons why flight attendants are trained to repeat the same instructions loudly over and over again in emergencies), and my sister said that after the initial shock, she knew Exit A was x number of rows ahead, and Exit B was y number of rows behind her and that kept her much calmer than most of her seatmates. Especially so now when many people's first reactions are to make a call or video with their cell phones ...
    +1 for personal safety tips learned from Oprah in the 90s!! I have a few too, from that ex-cop with the giant mustache. For instance: when you walk down the street, don't put your head down like you're looking for quarters on the ground. Look up and be aware of your surroundings.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This helps: pack a small notebook and pen/pencil in the bag that you will keep with you at your seat. (If you take a pen it needs to be in your 3-1-1 bag as you go through security but it doesn't have to remain in there once you're past the checkpoint.) If you get nervous/anxious write your name over and over until you relax. The repetitve nature of writing something familiar (your name) will distract and calm you.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    This helps: pack a small notebook and pen/pencil in the bag that you will keep with you at your seat. (If you take a pen it needs to be in your 3-1-1 bag as you go through security but it doesn't have to remain in there once you're past the checkpoint.) If you get nervous/anxious write your name over and over until you relax. The repetitve nature of writing something familiar (your name) will distract and calm you.
    Unless you have some sort of high volume ink fountain pen that TSA decides to be weird about, normal pens - even metal ones - can go anywhere in your carryon or checked bags... 3-1-1 bag not needed...

I like your zen writing to calm down!

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful about taking food in your carryon. some TSA agents consider some things as "liquids/gels" (go figure), including things like containers of salad dressing, dip, hummus, and even peanut butter jars!

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your tips and info! I'm headed back home tonight, and all the help you all provided really helped me. My first flight was amazing!
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    Thank you all for your tips and info! I'm headed back home tonight, and all the help you all provided really helped me. My first flight was amazing!
    Trip report, please. No skimping on details. And photos, too, if you got'em.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason this board won't let me post pics from my phone. I'll upload them tomorrow from the library. ☺
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3