Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time flyer-Help!

So I'm headed to Seattle next week, and I've never flown on a plane. I bought my ticket online already, but after this I'm lost. I don't know anyone that flies...my friends and family prefer to drive. Can anyone give me pointers? Also, super crazy dumb question...I have a confirmation number for my ticket, but what do I do with it at the airport?

As always, thank you in advance. Any tips and/or help is greatly appreciated!
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    So I'm headed to Seattle next week, and I've never flown on a plane. I bought my ticket online already, but after this I'm lost. I don't know anyone that flies...my friends and family prefer to drive. Can anyone give me pointers? Also, super crazy dumb question...I have a confirmation number for my ticket, but what do I do with it at the airport?

As always, thank you in advance. Any tips and/or help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.skyscanner.com.ph/news/9...rst-time-flyer

https://flyfright.com/firstflight/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJ4Irwr0uY

Lots of advice online; google is your friend. Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by ThomGault; 07-26-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Machines at the airport will allow you to print your ticket. Get there two hours ahead of flight. If you check a bag it costs additional money but your liquids can go inside with not limits. Carry-on only, your liquids need to be 3 Oz or less and in a separate clear bag you'll need to pull out at security. You'll also need to take off shoes belt and jacket, suggest you dress accordingly to make things easier. Also, suggest you pack an empty water bottle and fill it once through security. They have water bottle filling stations. Best recommendation I can give is read up online for first time Travelers, leave yourself plenty of time and pack as light as you can. Best of luck in your travels, don't panic!!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you checking a bag? Always always pack a change of clothes and any really important stuff in your carryon (unless it's liquids over 3oz or anything else that's prohibited in carryon, of course). The reason for this is that your checked bags may accidentally get lost and you'll be in your destination with only your carryon for however many days it takes to find your luggage.

Keep a written copy of any important info like hotel address, important phone numbers, in case your phone fails. A photocopy of important ID documents hidden securely will help you replace those items faster if they are lost are stolen.

Have an amazing time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use that confirmation number to check in 24 hrs in advance from home and print your boarding pass. Otherwise, when you arrive at the airport you’ll see kiosks that’ll print a boarding pass for you. If you are not checking luggage you can head directly to the security line.

As @meiminimalist suggested, pack and dress to make the security line experience easiest. That’ll likely be the most stressful part of the trip!

Once through security, fill your water bottle, browse the airport shops and have fun!

Once you’re comfortable flying, the world’s yours to explore!!!

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice and links already given. Look at the website for your departure and destination airports and they will almost certainly have practical information or map of airport layout, reminders on security, etc. consult your airline website for info on baggage.

Don’t panic and avoid the risk to over-think it! You won’t be the only novice or unfamiliar traveller, so allow yourself a good amount of time to not be under more pressure, read the signs and ask if unsure. Enjoy your experience and your trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to bring an ID, that's critical.

Make sure you have an assigned seat, if possible. If you don't, see if you can get an assigned seat via the airline website using your confirmation number. Not having an assigned seat and not having good airline status (measured by how many miles or how much money you spent the past year) increases the probability of getting bumped off the flight if it's oversold (airlines usually oversell planes because a certain number of people tend to cancel or move around among flights).

Do not put any liquids in your bag because the TSA will notice and then take your bag and manually inspect it. This will slow you down through security dramatically.

Download the airline app. Generally, airline apps will send you a notice on the gate and terminal assignment for the plane and notify you of any delays and gate reassignments.

If you are checking in luggage, make sure you allow time to check in the bag. You need to do this with an airline agent sitting at the counter before security. If you try to check a bag within 1 hour of flight departure, you can encounter some problems as they may not be able to get your bag onto the plane if there is less than 1 hour.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the airline personnel know it's your first time and that you don't know what to do. They will help you. If you do not find them helpful, then do not fly that airline again. Also, chat up your fellow passengers.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying can be intimidating even for the well-traveled, but you've got this! I trust you'll have a great trip, and enjoy Seattle. (And, maybe, get to visit the TB factory store?)

Lots of great tips and advice in this thread already.

Once you're through security, hopefully you have time to look around the airport, browse shops, and grab a snack or two for the flight. Personally, I love airports, so I recommend taking the time to look around. Don't let that distract you from getting to your gate on time!

Nowadays, boarding passes usually include the boarding time, instead of the flight departure time, which helps. Note that that is when the boarding process will begin. Most airlines offer pre-boarding for people who need extra time getting settled on the plane, before they start the main boarding process. Check your boarding pass for a Zone number, and follow the instructions in announcements from the airline staff (gate agents) at your gate on when to line up to get on the plane. You can definitely stay seated nearby until your zone number is called--don't let the many people crowding the gate before that make you nervous, just go up when your zone starts to board.

As someone mentioned, the airline's app will send notifications if your flight is delayed or canceled, and most airlines also let you sign up for one-time text alerts for your specific flight (in case you don't have a smart phone or don't want to download the airline's app). There will also be signs by each gate, and those will list delays, too.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check if the airline you're flying has an app. Often times you can avoid paper boarding passes and check in with your phone. It's just one less thing to fiddle with. Also, in my experience the app will also direct you the correct gate, update flight status and any changes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to all the great advice above, I'd second checking out a map of the airport online. Having a general idea of how the airport is laid out and how to get (approximately) from the front door to your particular gate beforehand will make it feel less scary on the day, especially if it turns out you'll need to take a monorail or some other system to get around. Just knowing that your airline generally departs from, say, the left side of the terminal rather than the right can help you feel less disoriented, avoid surprises, and make it easier to follow the signs. You can usually find out what food/drinks and restrooms are like in that area as well. (I've been surprised before when it turned out coffee was available before going through security, but not after.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with the great advice above, I would suggest that you check in online, then print the ticket at the kiosk when you arrive at the airport. Personally, I prefer to get a printed boarding pass at the airport so that I can keep my phone securely tucked into my bag while going through security. (But I ALSO use the app on my phone.)

When you are at the airport and have a current boarding pass, it will have your gate on it. You can find one of the monitors which lists all the flights to double-check that it's correct. Once you know that, use the airport signage to find the security line corresponding to that gate.

My advice for TSA (security):
    (1) Have your boarding pass and ID out. After they get checked, place them securely in your bag. It's great if you have a pocket ready for this.
    (2) Have all your metal (watch, keys, coins) removed from your pockets and wrists; stash them in your bag to put on post-security. Google 3-1-1 for the rule on liquids so you can understand what is allowed to be carried on and what needs to be checked. Any water bottles will have to be empty for carry-on.
    (3) When going through security, the TSA agents frequently shout instructions at everyone at top volume. Don't take this personally.
    (4) Be aware you might have to remove your electronic devices and place them separately in the bin. There might be other things too, like snacks, that have to be removed from your bag. Your shoes will have to come off your feet and go in a bin as well. If you are slow, it's ok! Don't let anyone rush you. Smile and tell them they can go around you. I've seen people throw cash, wallets, and other valuables in open containers. It seems to be ok most of the time, but personally I prefer putting it all away before it leaves my sight. Keep all your stuff together on the belt, secure any valuables, push it all through, and then get in line for the scanner.
    (5) Collect your stuff at the other end!
    (6) Congrats! You've just completed the most annoying part of your day. Now find your gate and get a nice coffee.

What airline are you flying?
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-26-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the advice above.

The more you read up ahead of time (believe it or not TSA's website has good advice) the more prepared & calmer you will be.

As folks said: smile, admit you're a first time flier, and ask for help if needed...

Allow plenty of time - you can always read, eat, or shop if you're through security and at your gate with lots of time to spare.

You're not allowed to stand up and use the bathrooms in the plane if there's major turbulence, take off & landing, etc., so go to the bathroom before you get on the plane.

Be careful of alcohol consumption (if you do) because it hits you harder at altitude/low oxygen environments...and you have to use the bathroom more, lol!

Try to not wear lots of perfume or bring stinky snacks - be considerate and those around you will appreciate it and hopefully reciprocate.

Bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones if noise bothers you - planes are noisy.

Bring a book, Kindle, magazine, or game/movie/electronic device so you won't be bored.

Try to get a window seat so you can appreciate what a cool view it is from up there!!!!

Most importantly, relax, have fun, and consider how astonishing it is that you can be at 35,000 feet in the air and everyone else around you is bored - it's not often in our busy world you get to try a completely new experience as an adult!

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    (And, maybe, get to visit the TB factory store?)
    Yup. It's actually a big factor in why I picked Seattle. I've gotta see the mothership...
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    What airline are you flying?
    Delta. I've not heard good things, but they're the only carrier for my route.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast