1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lot of the walking in italy occurs after the sun goes down and the temps drop too. you should look at Buffworks pants. i love them. tried many pair on but they did not fit my body correctly (5'5" and a 36" waist) but the construction and function is perfect for italy summer and i wanted to fit them better. I bought thunderbolt jeans in black, absolutely the most comfortable pants i have ever owned (they stretch 4 ways, not just 2 ways like most pants) have a nice lining and they just do not stain or get dirty. i can't explain that part but i wore 2 pair most of my 3 week trip to Naples last year and loved them. the black pair with a jacket and went to the opera and felt perfectly dressed. so comfortable you will want to sleep in them. don't be fooled by the "jeans" part, they are fantastic travel pants that drape well. I have the regular version of the pants and a newer "lite" version is available but i don't have any hands on experience with them. $200 each but in short order i realized they were perfect and bought the second pair. I never looked back and still use them on every trip we take. fantastic product, yes, zipper on back pocket.
    PS im 60 and the only jacket i take to europe is a sport jacket, italians do not walk around in mountain climbing gear.
    Last edited by xnykid; 09-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Bluffworks. I wear their Originals daily for work and took two pair of their Chinos to Italy a few years ago. Very light weight, no wrinkling and easy to hand wash.
    --------------------------------

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Bauer has a nice line of breathable pants, similar to Lulu Lemon. My fella has both brands, and they work pretty well for hot weather. What about Nike golf pants? I know they're out of the golf clothing industry as of last year, but you can find some for decent prices, and their DriFit are comfortable and tailored.
    delight in the making

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalei View Post
    Eddie Bauer has a nice line of breathable pants, similar to Lulu Lemon. My fella has both brands, and they work pretty well for hot weather. What about Nike golf pants? I know they're out of the golf clothing industry as of last year, but you can find some for decent prices, and their DriFit are comfortable and tailored.
    Aren't those typically polyester/non-natural fabric?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Aren't those typically polyester/non-natural fabric?
    Yes, but there was no stipulation that it must be natural fabrics, and many of the others referenced are blends.
    delight in the making

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalei View Post
    Yes, but there was no stipulation that it must be natural fabrics, and many of the others referenced are blends.
    Oh. I was confused by your statement...synthetic fibers generally don't breath well compared to natural fibers. Has he compared them to truly breathable fabrics?
    Last edited by ThomGault; 09-14-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Oh. I was confused by your statement...synthetic fibers generally don't breath well compared to natural fibers. Has he compared them to truly breathable fabrics?
    That was true a generation or two ago but materials have moved on. If you look at workout clothes, for instance, it's all synthetic.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    That was true a generation or two ago but materials have moved on. If you look at workout clothes, for instance, it's all synthetic.
    Agree...

I love my merino blend socks & shirts for travel, but for my workout clothes and work polo shirts, etc. are all synthetics and work really well in hot & humid factories and travel. They tend to be less expensive and physically more durable as well. They sink wash & dry easily.
    One of the issues with some synthetic blends is that they may retain odors after a while, in which case you can occasionally use one of the laundry detergents designed for workout clothes.
    Steel/Island A45,WF,Pilot; Steel/Solar CP; Blk/Solar TS; Blk/Canyon S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former Roman archaeologist (working in Rome and various sites in Israel), many of us moved to and preferred synthetic tech materials as they became available, both for the ease of handwashing and drying and their ability to last in harsh conditions (nothing sucks more than the clothes rotting off your body toward the end of a hard season). And they still looked good enough to wear to churches and other public fora. Wool was a good choice for socks, but we tended to bring more numbers of socks than other clothes so the washing and drying wasn't as much of a drag.
    delight in the making

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Interesting---that's not my experience at all for trousers. Wool trousers have always been much more breathable and comfortable than any non-natural material I've tried.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2