Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Traveling light and right for Italy: men's pants ideas?

Hello, fellow travelers! I'm going to Italy soon!

Rick Steves (you all know Rick Steves?) tells a story of having a kid pull on his leg hair when he wore shorts because he was so mystified by it. Apparently, men in Italy (in the big cities) do not wear shorts out; they wear pants. Coincidentally, it's really hot there this time of year.

So that leaves me wondering. I want to stay light and airy, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb wearing shorts. Any recommendations? Jeans seem too thick and heavy for muggy Italian days. Light dress pants seem too dressy. I bought a couple of pairs of linen pants, but I'm concerned they'll become a wrinkled trainwreck by the time I unpack.

Any recommendations for staying cool in long pants in hot and humid southern Europe?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe something like Duluth Trading's armachillo or breezeshooter lines? Both of those have long pants. Can't speak to the men's clothes, but I do have an armachillo garment for women, along with a Dry On The Fly item, and both of those are very comfortable in hot weather.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Maybe something like Duluth Trading's armachillo or breezeshooter lines? Both of those have long pants. Can't speak to the men's clothes, but I do have an armachillo garment for women, along with a Dry On The Fly item, and both of those are very comfortable in hot weather.
    Thanks! I'm not normally a cargopant kind of guy, so the Armachillos are out, but the Breezeshooters look right up my ally. They even have a secret pocket for cash -- thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn REI Travel Pants on our trips to Europe. Very light comfortable. I donít see something specifically called that on their www though. Iím experimenting with Goruck Simple pants right now. Very light. Stretchy and seem reasonably breathable.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Jeans seem too thick and heavy for muggy Italian days. Light dress pants seem too dressy.
    I don't know if it's possible to be 'too dressy' for Italy... they have a saying 'una bella figura' ... basically, to have/cut a beautiful figure... presentation is important there, so backpacks, shorts, and super casual clothing will mark you as a tourist...
    Linen pants, dress pants, good chino's, dark color well fitted jeans... whatever you go for, try to have them be nice/sharp looking and you will be better off...

You can also check out this other thread
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post133966
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I just got back from Nevada after two days of meetings wearing Duluth Trading Dry On the Fly pants. I've also worn them to Brazil and SE Asia. They're pretty comfortable both for long plane flights and in hot/humid climates. I might not wear them in a formal business setting, but they're probably well-suited to a tourist role.

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve been to Italy countless times and I always wear shorts. The family I have there, when we go out, also wear shorts. The people in the squares and cafes are often in shorts too. Yes, many are wearing pants as well but there is nothing wrong with a nice, dressy type short (not cargo shorts). You wonít stand out like a sore thumb if you have the right type of shorts and shoes, like a slip-on.

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Lululemon ABC for travel, works for business casual or just ambling around with a t-shirt and backpack. The fit is more 'European' than most pants you see here south of the Mason-Dixon. They are better for dry heat than humidity though. Breeezeshooters definitely look worth a try.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @yeg780: I've seen plenty of people in Italy in more tailored shorts and nice shoes. I think the super baggy denim or khaki cargo shorts are the ones that will stand out.

I think the linen is a good idea. The wrinkly factor is annoying while traveling, but if you're in a hotel with access to an iron that will be less of an issue. Iron once when unpacking, and hang after wearing the rest of the time.

As a side note, when I was in Italy for the first time (study abroad way back in '99) cargo pants were very "in" but the style was to wear them so tight that I cannot imagine any of the pockets were usable. Also, my Italian professor had a blue velvet suit we were all super fascinated by
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    in my opinion you can wear shorts no problem for day time and a pair of pants for evenings when you go out dining.
    My suggestion, if you do not want to stick out, would be not to wear sandals. Wear a nice pair of sneakers instead, of a pair of light loafers.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shorts are worn mostly by tourists in bigger cities. You will see them more in beach areas.

Also be aware that many churches--like the Vatican--will not let you in with exposed knees and shoulders.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Venice this summer and saw many men wearing nice linen shorts with colored suede loafers (my husband was one of them). Also, they were not all tourists; our Italian guides were wearing them as well. It is true that you will not be let in churches in this attire - we saw some people turned away - so plan your attire for the day accordingly.

Forum Member
    Brazil
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Prana pants!
    I've got 3 of the Brion model, and 2 of the Zion Convertible ones
    The fabric is very comfortable, breathable and has a little water repelency
    They're my daily use pants (for work and going out), and I travel with them quite often too
    Last edited by helder_jb; 08-30-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Atlanta, GA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say enough good things about the various Kuhl pants available from REI. They are the perfect travel pants. Light, comfortable, and durable.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a lot of linen items, because I live on the gulf coast which is hot and humid most of the year. If you do the Konmari fold, they never wrinkle. I constantly get compliments and asked how I keep my linen looking fresh and neat

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast