Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Member Duggy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How do you pack dresses?

    Hi all,

    Sorry if this has been covered before but I was wondering how people have been packing dresses for travel.

    I normally just take very casual, wrinkle free clothing when I travel, but I will need to take more formal dresses for an upcoming trip.

    Any advice? Most garment bags seem to be geared for men's suits.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Member Aeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Share
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the dress inside of a dry cleaner's bag and fold/roll accordingly. The plastic will keep the dress from rubbing together and will prevent wrinkling and creasing. You can also use tissue paper if you think there are parts to the dress that will be more prone to wrinkling or you can use the tissue paper to stuff any portion of the dress that needs to retain its structure. Keep the dress as the top layer of whatever else you are packing. Hang the dress as soon as you get to your destination.

    A garment bag isn't necessarily needed, but you can most definitely pack a dress in one.

    Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

  3. #3
    Forum Member marytattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fold and roll. I roll a lot of my clothes. If they are especially prone to wrinkling, add some tissue paper. You might also search packing on YouTube. And then, the old tip of hanging in the bathroom during showers works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Hi all,

    Sorry if this has been covered before but I was wondering how people have been packing dresses for travel.

    I normally just take very casual, wrinkle free clothing when I travel, but I will need to take more formal dresses for an upcoming trip.

    Any advice? Most garment bags seem to be geared for men's suits.

    Thanks in advance!
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Put the dress inside of a dry cleaner's bag and fold/roll accordingly.
    Seconding this! I've never had to pack a truly formal dress for myself, but I used this for the dress I wore at my bff's destination wedding. I also used it when I packed my aunt's suitcase for a trip that included a formal ballgown. She said she was shocked at how wrinkle-free it arrived. 🙂
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Share
    Deep South, USA
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the fold/roll in the cleaner's bag too. For a dress of more "substance," I've used the Space Saver bags. (The kind where you roll out the air- not the vacuum cleaner kind.)
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

  6. #6
    Forum Member Duggy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone!

    I will give the rolling a go (this is how I pack my regular clothes), but I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the linen dress. Smirk

  7. #7
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    I will give the rolling a go (this is how I pack my regular clothes), but I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the linen dress. Smirk
    Think of it this way - whatever you use, you're trying to minimize the size of the item whilst not creating creases, so the execution of the folding or rolling is more important that the exact materials.

    You can use other clothes you're bringing, tissue, towels, whatever... the trick is to have the item very flat/neat to start with and when you fold or roll, use other materials so that the item is bending around something, not folding sharply to itself. The other key factor is that once it's reduced in size, give it space - don't super flatten/compress/jam it into your bag - that will cause wrinkling.

    Depending on where you're staying, you may be able to have it steamed/ironed before you wear it...

    Probably not your prefernce, but choosing a different dress that will pack better (linen is a bear) would obviously help

    In any case, best of luck and have fun on your trip!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some LONG garment bags that came with full length coats and medieval costumes. But they're not really travel bags. I use them when driving, but they're not appropriate for air travel.

    For Linen items or long dresses, I would bundle the dress around other flat packed items, so that it's "folded" around a thick item, and there are no creases. So, a form of rolling. I like the Eagle Creek packing folders. After folding each item and stacking it, I would wrap the linen dress around the other items. Be careful about wrapping around the outside of the packing folder, because you don't want to snag anything on the velcro.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-10-2018 at 07:13 AM.

  9. #9
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,616
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Think of it this way - whatever you use, you're trying to minimize the size of the item whilst not creating creases, so the execution of the folding or rolling is more important that the exact materials.

    You can use other clothes you're bringing, tissue, towels, whatever... the trick is to have the item very flat/neat to start with and when you fold or roll, use other materials so that the item is bending around something, not folding sharply to itself. The other key factor is that once it's reduced in size, give it space - don't super flatten/compress/jam it into your bag - that will cause wrinkling.

    Depending on where you're staying, you may be able to have it steamed/ironed before you wear it...

    Probably not your prefernce, but choosing a different dress that will pack better (linen is a bear) would obviously help

    In any case, best of luck and have fun on your trip!
    I had to combine 2 weeks of personal and work travel very recently, including formal wear (dresses and shoes) for the personal part.

    As @G42 suggested, I opted to bring a silk dress - both because it would be easier to pack and to wear in possibly warm/humid conditions. I also used my Tri-Star, so I could use the Medium (18) Eagle Creek packing folder (with slips and nylons around the dress), and the center compartment for shoes.

    While weight could have been a factor on some of the airlines (8 kg for carryon, including Asian carriers), it turned out not to be.

    Going back, Lufthansa checked the Tri-Star weight before boarding the cabin, and it was 7.4 kg.

    moriond

  10. #10
    Forum Member Duggy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have some LONG garment bags that came with full length coats and medieval costumes. But they're not really travel bags. I use them when driving, but they're not appropriate for air travel.

    For Linen items or long dresses, I would bundle the dress around other flat packed items, so that it's "folded" around a thick item, and there are no creases. So, a form of rolling. I like the Eagle Creek packing folders. After folding each item and stacking it, I would wrap the linen dress around the other items. Be careful about wrapping around the outside of the packing folder, because you don't want to snag anything on the velcro.
    Ah! I have Eagle Creek packing folders! So you wrap the dress around the folded and stacked items INSIDE the packing folder?

  11. #11
    Forum Member Duggy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to save some money, but maybe it is a good excuse to buy a new non-linen dress! Wink

  12. #12
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Trying to save some money, but maybe it is a good excuse to buy a new non-linen dress! Wink
    Remember, this is a group of enablers, so not only should you get a new dress, but if you find a good one, buy it in ALL the colours!
    Big Grin
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  13. #13
    Forum Member Duggy'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Remember, this is a group of enablers, so not only should you get a new dress, but if you find a good one, buy it in ALL the colours!
    Big Grin
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Ah! I have Eagle Creek packing folders! So you wrap the dress around the folded and stacked items INSIDE the packing folder?
    Yes, I put it inside the folder, but wrapped around the other stacked items. Because the outside of the folder has Velcro, I'm always cautious about what sits up against the outside of the packing folder. Besides, the silnylon is slippery, and I don't want the dress to slide around as that makes wrinkles. Putting the dress inside the folder, means it won't move / no wrinkles.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-11-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •