Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngypsy View Post
    Two questions: what are the apps you use and what brand of merino do you like? All the ones I find are so technical-looking...
    I've recently been using Cladwell which generates outfits for you based on your travel capsule, but I've been happy with Stylebook too.

Re: merino - many merino items are technical looking, but work well as a layer. I have Icebreaker tees in multiple colors which take up no space in the bag but can be paired with lots of items. A black merino tee is always in my bag.

disclaimer: I am a retired technology librarian. Probably not the best person to advise on fashion...

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I've recently been using Cladwell which generates outfits for you based on your travel capsule, but I've been happy with Stylebook too.
    Greetings,
    Thank you very much for the Stylebook suggestion. It's exactly what I've been looking for! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Thank you very much for the Stylebook suggestion. It's exactly what I've been looking for! elisa
    Hi @AlaskaGirl,

I don’t believe that you have a Ravelry login, but @gochicken, who is one of the mods for the Tom Bihn forum group there, described how she used the Stylebook app to prepare in her Packing for Alaska Cruise thread (June 2016). She also referenced some books that she’s used as general background (like What to Wear for the Rest of your Life, and Marie Kondo’s The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but most of her thread was about making the capsule wardrobe combinations. BTW, I switched the link for Kondo’s book to the Kindle version for $2.99, since it has been discussed on these forums before, and I see it is on sale from its regular $9.99 price.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Marie Kondo’s The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but most of her thread was about making the capsule wardrobe combinations. BTW, I switched the link for Kondo’s book to the Kindle version for $2.99, since it has been discussed on these forums before, and I see it is on sale from its regular $9.99 price.
    Hurries off to buy the book... (I've checked it out from the library 6 or 7 times!)

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Moriond,
    Yes, I'm on Ravelry and a member of that group. I'll check it out. Thank you for sharing that! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Greetings Moriond,
    Yes, I'm on Ravelry and a member of that group. I'll check it out. Thank you for sharing that! elisa
    If you have a Ravelry login, I can give you the link to her post #25 in the Packing for Alaska Cruise thread back in June 2016

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond,
    That was a very helpful read. Lots of books to add to my list. I really appreciate the link. Thank you! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loydchase View Post
    I am going to Europe this summer (June-July) and I need to know some things to pack. I will be there for 20 days, visiting England, France, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. I am only allowed to pack one suitcase and it cannot weigh more than 50 pounds. So, I need tips on how to pack pretty much your life in a 50 pound suitcase and I need a list of things to take with me. Thank you so much for your help!
    The weather is getting warmer everywhere, including Europe. My last times in Europe in July and August (2 weeks in Italy and almost 3 weeks in Czech republic-German-Poland-Slovakia) were very tiring because of the heat (even Germany and Poland were hot). Italy was blistering, especially Rome, even in the first week of July. So you need to think about how to deal with extreme heat (apart from taking breaks in the afternoon, getting out early in the morning to the most popular sites where you wait outside in the sun...). It will affect which clothes you bring and how many. In my case, I sometimes had to change DURING the day as I was soaked and not feeling good about it. To compensate, I did hand washing on a daily basis, but husband and son did not. We did landry once in the 2-week trip in Italy in a laundromat and several times in the other 3-week trip since we rented hotel rooms that were more like flats and had a laundry washer in the kitchen (Berlin and Warsaw). I did these trips with an Aeronaut 30 that weighted definitely less than 15 pounds ( I think I posted my packing lists here somewhere...) so you can definitely indulge if you can carry a 50 pound suitcase.

Another issue is depending where you are from, your usual holiday clothes may feel underdressed in Europe ( I know I did, and there was a thread here on "can we wear shorts or not in Italy" recently...). So if you like nicer clothes and think of bringing several shoes, but want to keep it to one suitcase (I presume not a carry-on), maybe you have to cut somewhere else, or find a way that all your nice looking clothes go well together (or use accessories to change the look of the same dress, like scarfs, belts, a cardigan, a nice hat, etc, have only one pair of sanal, one pair of heels and one pair of walking/training shoes...). I wear very neutral-looking clothes and not really fancy (think merino shirt or blouse with 3/4 black pants), and I definitely do not wear shorts or leggings while in Europe, ever (or Japan, where people on a trip to the corner store look more put together than I do when I give a invited talk for my job).

Also, check https://herpackinglist.com/
    I learned a lot from reading that

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, how you dress depends mostly on if you are in an urban environment or a rural environment and what you are doing. I have been all over the place, and I personally don't think people in a place like Manhattan are significantly more casual versus people in London, Tokyo, Paris, etc. You have a lot of comments on female clothing. If you are male, I think the best idea would be to pack a few non-iron dress shirts, lots of short sleeve shirts, a zipped wool sweater, and travel pants. If you are eating in a lot of high end restaurants, you may need a real jacket and pants. I've seen a lot of synthetic "travel jackets" and honestly they all look strange because they have sheen or are super boxy.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Caldwell app is currently FREE for life. It's a limited time offer, but they don't say when it ends. Usually it's a subscription service. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Caldwell app is currently FREE for life. It's a limited time offer, but they don't say when it ends. Usually it's a subscription service. elisa
    Do you have a link? I can't find it.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Do you have a link? I can't find it.
    Itís actually cladwell

Hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://cladwell.com/
    After entering your clothes into the app, it automatically generates outfit suggestions.

After trying both apps, I find the Stylebook app to be more user friendly and intuitive. elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After trying both apps, I find the Stylebook app to be more user friendly and intuitive. elisa
    I use Stylebook for packing. Hereís my Paris trip info graphic

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't just wear Birken-socks to fit in among Berliners anymore? Aw man...

Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I personally don't think people in a place like Manhattan are significantly more casual versus people in London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.
    I imagine its the vacationers from Dallas or Boise, not the Manhattanites, that are standing out in London (or Manhattan for that matter). And a lot of people dress...weird...when they're on vacation, no matter where they're from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2