Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Observations from a 45 day trip to South America

Just got back from a trip to South America where we visited Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls and took two cruises from Lima, Peru to Bueno Aires and then from BA to Rio and back to BA.

Here is the gear that worked very well for me.

First, the Daylight Backpack, DLBP. This became my personal item on the plane and my every day carry bag, EDC. Originally, I had equipped my S19 and S25 with padded belts and back panels for the journey but restrictions at Mach Picchu forced me to reconsider and I opted to bring the DLBP instead. Eventually, I ditched the waist belt as I am 6' 1" and it really didn't do anything. This pack did everything well. It easily fit under airline seats and was easy to carry even without padded shoulder pads. At 16.5 litres, it was hard to overpack and also to make it overweight.

For the plane, it carried a sweater, my meds, an ereader, sudoku book, all travel docs, and my side kick. The sweater worked best being shoved into the bottom of the pack next to my meds in a travel cube ( non TB). Ereader and book fit easily into the bottom pouch, while passports and docs fit easily into the upper pouch. When going through security, I would shove the SK into the DLBP and have a single item. In a pinch, I could also place my 411 bag in the pack as well.

For shore excursions, it would carry a sweater, rain jacket, a side effect with photo gear, the SK as my "murse", and I could still stuff 3 small water bottles into the pack. It was heavy, but since we were on buses, it was fine for a few minutes. For walking, I would drop the number of water bottles.

The outside pocket always had the same gear; small first aid pouch, some readily available meds such as gravol, antihistamine, and imodium, and a set of point cards in case I needed to communicate without a translator. I speak English and French, but not Spanish or Portuguese. It also has a spare house key on a tether.

My second favorite item was the Side Kick, SK, as my catchall. It carried copies of my passport and travel insurance docs on the outside pocket along with a TB wallet on a tether. The outside pocket can be secured with a nite-ese S-biner caribiner to make it a little more difficult for pick pockets. In the main compartment, I had tissue packs for the toilet, sun glasses, cell phone, pen, notebook, lenses for the phone and cleaning gear for the lenses. I used my cell phone as a camera and equipped it with lenses from a US company called moment. On travel days, I would carry my passport, boarding pass and second wallet in place of the camera gear. It was super easy to stuff it into the DLPB when going through security or at the gate.

As I am reaching the age of 60 this year, I come from the generation of men who shoved everything into their pockets. That simply doesn't work any more. I find that the Side Kick in black is a great catchall for thin items that can be stored vertically. Fat and thick items will be awkward.

The final item was the side effect bag. To be honest, I bought my first SE with my S19 and it stood unused for years. It got repurposed to carry photo gear for my camera phone. The first SE carried movie gear; a mini-tripod, a cell phone hand mount from Shoulderpod, and a microphone with wind sock. The second SE had a case for extra SD cards, a cleaning cloth, and an Itripp battery bank in case the phone ran low. Phone cables and cleaning cloth was stored on the outside pocket.

For the future, I have a 38L soft side carryon that was partnered with the DLBP but, as I have a birthday coming up, I might replace it with an A30, as it is very easy to over pack the 38L bag. We were under tight weight restrictions for both the regional airlines and the trains for Machu Picchu. They had a 9kg (19.8) limit on the carryon. Since I have finally relented and travel with a checked bag, I only need a carryon for 1-2 days emergency clothes. This is important as on our first cruise, a couple from Britain arrived without their checked luggage due to the drone incident. Their luggage arrived 4 days later. As I am not getting any younger, I want to limit the amount of hauling from place to place in the airport. An A30/DLBC might make a great combination.

Hope this was useful.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed reading your post. I just ordered the Moment wide angle & 58 tele yesterday, and I'm planning on using my phone for an upcoming trip to Scotland/England as my only camera. It's a little daunting to think of leaving the camera gear behind. What fabric is your Daylight Backpack? I'm considering adding it to my gear and debating between Halcyon & the ballistic.

Did you have any regrets on leaving the camera behind?

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Observations from a 45 day trip to South America

Great review. The Daylight backpack and A30 combo is excellent. I have been on many trips with just those two bags, carrying computer and plane stuff on my back in the backpack, and the a30 by shoulder strap. Or sometimes, DLBP in strap compartment of a30 so I only have to carry 1 bag in the airport.

I agree that a smaller bag like the sidekick or side effect is ideal to put inside the Daylight backpack to contain stuff. I usually carry a side effect in my Daylight backpack as a container for the most vital stuff (wallet, passport, money).

Which of those Moment camera supplies did you order? How did they work out? They look very cool. I have heard good things about those lenses. I like the tiny bright lights too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Amy; 02-05-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had an amazing trip. South America is fantastic.

I too have used a sidekick as a man-bag. It's great for that and light enough not to get in the way. Lately I've been traveling with an A30 for my clothes, and a Daylight Briefcase as a day bag / laptop bag. It works well enough, even if it's a little cramped with the laptop.

Forum Member
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmeriwe View Post
    I enjoyed reading your post. I just ordered the Moment wide angle & 58 tele yesterday, and I'm planning on using my phone for an upcoming trip to Scotland/England as my only camera. It's a little daunting to think of leaving the camera gear behind. What fabric is your Daylight Backpack? I'm considering adding it to my gear and debating between Halcyon & the ballistic.

Did you have any regrets on leaving the camera behind?

Thanks.
    The daylight backpack is 525 Deep Blue / Grass 210. I like colors that stand out. The fabric is very durable and I would definitely buy more bags with that material.

My wife is the photographer in the family so she carries the SLR. The phone with lenses replaces a small handheld camera. On this trip I only had 2 electronic devices, my phone and ereader and both charged via usb. I used an ikitts usb charger with battery to charge them both. If my phone ran low on juice, I could top it up from the charger. The charger also came with travel adapters, but I only had to use the plugs for one night. Most places had North American plugs running at 220v.

The phone could do double duty as a still and movie camera.

For me, I was sacrificing high quality for lightness and flexibility. No regrets, most of my pictures turned out fine and in some cases it was easier and quicker to take the shot with the phone. My wife also uses her iphone for those shots that are too quick to setup the camera.

Forum Member
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Sounds like you had an amazing trip. South America is fantastic.

I too have used a sidekick as a man-bag. It's great for that and light enough not to get in the way. Lately I've been traveling with an A30 for my clothes, and a Daylight Briefcase as a day bag / laptop bag. It works well enough, even if it's a little cramped with the laptop.
    Because I travel with a checked bag, I am starting to realize that all I need is a couple of days of clothes. The daypack holds the electronics, documents and other important stuff. It never leaves my side. The 38L bag was almost too big because in South America, baggage is restricted by weight. We had to get our carryon to under 20lbs (8kg = 17.6 lbs). A smaller bag like an A30 or WF is much harder to overpack. The 38L bag started at 4lbs empty, so it was a bit of a challenge.

It is a great bag, but just a bit too big.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I've never had Latam or Avianca weigh my carry-on, but maybe I got lucky.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your story! Appreciate hearing how you use the bags.