Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a photo of what it looks like when Metro is on fire!

Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_0861-jpg
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 01-15-2019 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Photo did something weird...
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! March is a (relatively) long way away - I'm really hoping the shutdown will be long over by then, but if not - definitely check the websites of Smithsonian/National Park sites you're planning to visit, as they may well be closed. (Museums and other Mall attractions; the National Zoo, etc.)

It's been a couple of years since I've been up to NYC from DC. We took the train that time - it was lovely and easy, but spendy on a grad student budget. There are a lot of really cheap bus routes up to NY, as mentioned up-thread. For lodging - maybe AirBnB? I'm seeing at least one place for $99/night, don't know what range you're looking for.

When in March are you thinking of coming to DC? The DC Kite Festival is March 30th this year, it's held by the Washington Monument and it's always a lovely sight. This year's Cherry Blossom festival is Thu, Mar 21, 2019 – Sun, Apr 14, 2019 - of course, it's always a gamble that the trees will be in bloom at the same time as the festival, but you might get lucky!

My personal favorites, museum-wise, are the Freer/Sackler (Asian art) and the Enid Haupt garden next to the Smithsonian castle. If the weather is bad, you can take a break in the underground cafe between the East and West wings of the National Art Gallery. The Botanic Gardens (next to the Capitol). are also a nice warm dry place to get away from cold and wind. (Metro: Smithsonian/Blue line)

A place I keep meaning to go is the Library of Congress map room (https://www.loc.gov/ for general visit info) - I've been curious ever since I read Ken Jennings' Maphead.

Fun view of DC:

- go around sunset for a drink on the W's rooftop terrace: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location..._Columbia.html (Yelp reviews here)

- (caveat: I haven't been on the terrace in years, I don't know how much drinks cost these days or what the line is like. Cool location but not a must-see.)

Here's a DIY architectural walking tour of DC:

A guided tour:

(looks like the site currently has a discount code DCDESIGN50 for tours): https://www.dcdesigntours.com/

Interesting off-the-Mall museums:

National Portrait Gallery - I love the new portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama. If you don't need a selfie with the portraits, you can just walk through the galleries where they're displayed, no need to get in line. The upstairs gallery (the Great Hall) is a beautiful hallway where Lincoln held his second inaugural ball - worth a walk-through for the architectural details. The Kogod courtyard cafe is a lovely place to take a break and have a snack. "Take the Yellow, Green, or Red lines to the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station. The Portrait Gallery is one block from both the 7th and 9th Street Metro exits."

National Building Museum - also has a courtyard cafe in its beautiful 4-story atrium.

"The historic home of the National Building Museum was built between 1882 and 1887 for three distinct purposes: to house the headquarters of the United States Pension Bureau, to provide a suitably grand space for Washington’s social and political functions, and to commemorate the service of those who fought on the side of the Union during the Civil War."

Some quirky exhibits and a fun interactive space upstairs where you can build with small (table-top) or giant (big enough to build a structure you can sit in) blocks. "Across the street from Judiciary Square station on Metro’s Red Line. Alternatively, take the Yellow, Green, or Red Lines to Gallery Place/Chinatown station and walk two blocks to the Museum."

(A pity this exhibit is closed, it was quite fitting for your interests. Maybe you can find someone there who worked on it and can talk with you about it? https://www.nbm.org/exhibition/designing-for-disaster/)
    Last edited by haraya; 01-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Hi! March is a (relatively) long way away - I'm really hoping the shutdown will be long over by then, but if not - definitely check the websites of Smithsonian/National Park sites you're planning to visit, as they may well be closed. (Museums and other Mall attractions; the National Zoo, etc.)

It's been a couple of years since I've been up to NYC from DC. We took the train that time - it was lovely and easy, but spendy on a grad student budget. There are a lot of really cheap bus routes up to NY, as mentioned up-thread. For lodging - maybe AirBnB? I'm seeing at least one place for $99/night, don't know what range you're looking for.

When in March are you thinking of coming to DC? The DC Kite Festival is March 30th this year, it's held by the Washington Monument and it's always a lovely sight. This year's Cherry Blossom festival is Thu, Mar 21, 2019 – Sun, Apr 14, 2019 - of course, it's always a gamble that the trees will be in bloom at the same time as the festival, but you might get lucky!

My personal favorites, museum-wise, are the Freer/Sackler (Asian art) and the Enid Haupt garden next to the Smithsonian castle. If the weather is bad, you can take a break in the underground cafe between the East and West wings of the National Art Gallery. The Botanic Gardens (next to the Capitol). are also a nice warm dry place to get away from cold and wind. (Metro: Smithsonian/Blue line)

A place I keep meaning to go is the Library of Congress map room (https://www.loc.gov/ for general visit info) - I've been curious ever since I read Ken Jennings' Maphead.

Fun view of DC:

- go around sunset for a drink on the W's rooftop terrace: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location..._Columbia.html (Yelp reviews here)

- (caveat: I haven't been on the terrace in years, I don't know how much drinks cost these days or what the line is like. Cool location but not a must-see.)

Here's a DIY architectural walking tour of DC:

A guided tour:

(looks like the site currently has a discount code DCDESIGN50 for tours): https://www.dcdesigntours.com/

Interesting off-the-Mall museums:

National Portrait Gallery - I love the new portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama. If you don't need a selfie with the portraits, you can just walk through the galleries where they're displayed, no need to get in line. The upstairs gallery (the Great Hall) is a beautiful hallway where Lincoln held his second inaugural ball - worth a walk-through for the architectural details. The Kogod courtyard cafe is a lovely place to take a break and have a snack. "Take the Yellow, Green, or Red lines to the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station. The Portrait Gallery is one block from both the 7th and 9th Street Metro exits."

National Building Museum - also has a courtyard cafe in its beautiful 4-story atrium.

"The historic home of the National Building Museum was built between 1882 and 1887 for three distinct purposes: to house the headquarters of the United States Pension Bureau, to provide a suitably grand space for Washington’s social and political functions, and to commemorate the service of those who fought on the side of the Union during the Civil War."

Some quirky exhibits and a fun interactive space upstairs where you can build with small (table-top) or giant (big enough to build a structure you can sit in) blocks. "Across the street from Judiciary Square station on Metro’s Red Line. Alternatively, take the Yellow, Green, or Red Lines to Gallery Place/Chinatown station and walk two blocks to the Museum."

(A pity this exhibit is closed, it was quite fitting for your interests. Maybe you can find someone there who worked on it and can talk with you about it? https://www.nbm.org/exhibition/designing-for-disaster/)
    I'd love to be able to bookmark this post. Super helpful (though I'm not planning on a DC trip soon)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could just cut and paste, then email to yourself! 😊 I find it easier to search my Gmail than my bookmarks.

Another note about train vs. bus to NYC: depending on the bus co., buses have several pickup points around DC, one of which may be more convenient to where you’re staying (vs. Union Station). Since Union Stn is on the Red line - not as many Metro lines that stop there - it can take a long time to get across the city to catch your train.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a bus company which has pickup points in Bethesda (MD), Arlington (VA), and Lorton (VA). Goes to Midtown. I have not taken their buses yet, but I've heard about them from friends.

https://www.vamoosebus.com/

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Lia for the lovely pictures, that really helped me understand the size of the small z-tsb and the poptote. I think I am going to stick with getting the first one because it seems more pack able vs. the poptote. But please correct me if I am wrong!

TheLibrarian, oh my goodness TSNY looks amazing and totally like something I would want to do, thank you!!! And then as soon as I hammer out my exact dates, I would love to meet with your friend for coffee if she would be willing!!!

haraya, thank you for all of the suggestions! I'm really looking forward to my trip now with everything that's been said by everyone.

Other than just getting more ideas, the only thing left to figure out is my day bag. I have a SCB and an SK, but I'm worried that those might be too small. My usual ECD for when I'm home is the SCB and it works well, especially because I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere, but it does take up a lot of room and if I'm walking around or buying things I might need more room. If I'm used to the SCB will the MCB feel/be too big?

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: packability -- the functional difference between PT and ZTSSB is that the PT is basically straight up and down, while the ZTSSB is wider at the top than the bottom. IMO, that makes the PT easier to pack and find stuff in. Also, it has pockets on the outside which means I can put my phone and coffee within easy reach. Also, I like the heavier fabric for its structure.

Then again, I love my shop bags -- I'm chomping at the bit to add more shop bags to my collection as soon as I see what happens with them in the 210 ballistic fabric. Also, the shop bag is lighter weight and more packable and less than half the price of the PT! Can I say the Pop Tote is TWICE as good as the ZTSSB? Nope. So, good call!

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only worry is that I think I saw that the PT was bigger than personal item size technically, but I could be wrong. And then the packability of the PT to compared to the ZTSSB....... I like the fact that, as you said the PT is the same size top to bottom, but then its basically just a cavern on the inside. If I could have the inside of the SSB and the PT on the outside, I think it would be close to perfect.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my PT for a year, and flown with it a dozen times (all that travel = why I'm obsessed with bags) and it fits under every airline seat I've ever seen. Hell, the A30 fits under most seats.

But now I'm curious and I want to try my ZTSSB as a personal item next time. An experiment. Which means I need to buy a black one... For science!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I've had my PT for a year, and flown with it a dozen times (all that travel = why I'm obsessed with bags) and it fits under every airline seat I've ever seen. Hell, the A30 fits under most seats.

But now I'm curious and I want to try my ZTSSB as a personal item next time. An experiment. Which means I need to buy a black one... For science!
    I like using the black ballistic ZTSSB (I tried both sizes) as airline personal items, but this experiment definitely needs more data points, so you do need to do your part!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DC advice: The Metro in undergoing long term infrastructure repair, so be sure to check if the line you need is down for maintenance.

NY advice: I was in NY in December, and enjoyed touring the flagship branch of the New York Public Library (Schwarzman Building). It's got the 2 famous lions out front. There is a free docent led tour, but it sold out when we were there. But the info desk hands out maps and you can do it yourself whenever you want.
    Here's the map with some pics so you can see if this is your cup of tea. This checks the "Architecture" and "Budget" options!
    https://www.nypl.org/about/locations...zman/floorplan

Also, check the rules for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It used to be that if you showed your receipt, you could go back a second day for free. How I love thee, Temple of Dendur!

I am a cautious female, grew up an hour outside of NYC, and there was a time when I wouldn't ride the subway. But I am very comfortable on it now, and have been for years.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bla.... Now after looking at the sizes of the ZTSSB and the PT I don't know which one I want now, I'm worried that the ZTSSB might be too small. Does anyone have pictures that they are willing to post of both bags on them and how small both bags can be folded up?

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    To be honest, I don't like Amtrak. Penn Station is even worse than LGA, which is something really hard to do considering LGA is a construction zone. Also, the Acela is ridiculously expensive, usually exactly the same as flying. The Northeast Corridor on Amtrak or the bus could be good options, and they have the side benefit of letting you stop by Philadelphia, which is a really interesting city filled with history.

I live in Manhattan, and it's extremely safe. I see people walking around with thousands of dollars of camera equipment all the time and no one cares. People in the city are generally too busy to notice. There are bad apples, like everywhere, but unlike other places, New Yorkers are not passive. In the rare instance that something obviously wrong is happening, people won't just sit there with their heads down!

I think everyone made really great recommendations. I would skip Radio City and focus on Central Park, the Met, Rockerfeller Center, Ground Zero, Broadway (TKTS has cheap tickets), Statue of Liberty, and the East Village. Also, Koreatown near Penn Station is really interesting, because I've never seen anything so immersive of a different culture in another US city.
    I would echo most of this. Acela takes about the same amount of time all in and roughly the same cost as flights (maybe a tiny bit less). That said, I've never minded Penn Station because you can show up 15 minutes before your train departs with no issues since there is no security and if you're traveling by subway to 34th, there's minimal risk of a traffic mishap. That said, if you're cost conscious, a bus is probably a better choice and not terrible if you do a pit stop in Philly as recommended.

Manhattan is extremely safe in virtually any part where you'd care to go. Indeed, every where you look, people have expensive camera gear. A bit of common sense and everything will be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternative to Metro - you might try the hop-on, hop-off tourist bus on one of the days you're in DC - might as well see some sights while you're getting from one place to another! Here's a comparison of the different tourist bus options:

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    DC advice: The Metro in undergoing long term infrastructure repair, so be sure to check if the line you need is down for maintenance.

Metro website: https://www.wmata.com/

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
    Bla.... Now after looking at the sizes of the ZTSSB and the PT I don't know which one I want now, I'm worried that the ZTSSB might be too small. Does anyone have pictures that they are willing to post of both bags on them and how small both bags can be folded up?
    I convinced my husband to model for me, and my dogs decided they wanted in on the action. Both bags are stuffed with the same contents: all my grocery bags. Two OLSBs and three canvas bags.

Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_20190118_172134-jpg
    Pop tote has plenty of room left but IMO doesn't look like a Big Bag, the way, for example, a Vera Bradley tote does (and is also better in every other way to VB, but for for common references, you get the idea).

Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_20190118_172218-jpg
    ZTSSB is nearly full.

As for rolling up to pack, this is how I roll them to pack: long and skinny. The PT could be folded into quarters, but I keep a clear pencil organizer pouch in it, so I roll around that. There's images of rolled, folded, and self-pocketed shop bags all over the forums.

I can't close my hand all the way around the PT even without the pencil pouch, and I wear medium (7.5) size gloves. For reference, the squares in the background are 6 inches each.
    Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_20190118_173306-jpg

But the ZTSSB is quite compact -- my thumb overlaps my other fingertips.
    Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_20190118_173244-jpg

Obviously I bought both, and I use them both all the time, but for different purposes. If I had to Sophie's choice them, I'd go PT. But I have yet to try the ZTSSB as a travel bag.

Edited to add: Week Long Trip to DC in March Plus Bonus Trip to NYC-img_20190118_172221-jpghere's the other dog, very confused.
    Last edited by Lia; 01-18-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast