Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb I did it. I solved charging.

This is a big day for me. I travel with:

• Laptop - Thinkpad X1 Carbon
    • Phone - Google Pixel
    • Powerbank
    • Bose Quietcomfort 35ii headphones
    • iPad (sometimes, to watch movies with my wife on the plane)
    • Kindle [edited to add; I forgot it!]
    • Various doodads

I wanted:

1. Just one charger
    2. Minimal cables
    3. Easy to plug-in, anywhere in the world
    4. No worries about heavy power brick falling off wall

And here it is, folks, one charger to rule them all.

I did it. I solved charging.-power-rules-png

I declare victory. The Kikkerland power adapter doesn't fall out of any walls because the attached charger has a lead to a power bank I just put on my desk/nightstand/whatever.

The power bank will charge 4 devices at once, including the laptop, which it will charge at a full 60W via USB PD. The other USB ports support fast charging, with (attached) short cables for 2x MicroUSB and 1x Lightning. Packed up, this configuration is incredibly small -- smaller than many laptop charges are alone.

As an added bonus, I also pack this 1-to-3 grounded plug strip, also small enough to hang on the global adapter.

I did it. I solved charging.-img_20190218_164603-jpg

So I can charge anywhere, from any outlet, at any voltage, basically all of my devices, simultaneously. With just one power brick, just one adapter, 1 full-size USB C-to-C cable, and 3 miniature USB cables.

I hereby, declare: charging is solved. I've tested this configuration on 3 international trips now, and it has made me a hero at the airport with that 3-outlet plug strip, I've been able to plug in anywhere, for any purpose, and it takes less space in my bag than my OEM laptop charger.
    Last edited by bouncing; 02-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume non-referral links are okay? I don't see any rule against it.

Here's the list.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a version of that USB-C charger that Anker makes (it has 4 regular USB ports instead of 3), and I LOVE it. It's really nice for work because I don't have to hog 2 or 3 power strip ports in our staff workroom onsite, and I can share the USB charging ports if anyone forgets their phone charger. I haven't brought it abroad yet, because I pretty much never bring my laptop on vacation, and my work travel is all domestic.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I have a version of that USB-C charger that Anker makes (it has 4 regular USB ports instead of 3)
    I think I looked at that one, but I wanted to avoid the glowing LED because my wife finds it distracting on a night stand.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bouncing, what type of USB-C device do you charge with this? I'd love to know if it can work with a Google Pixel and a Macbook, the two type C devices I happen to own.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I think I looked at that one, but I wanted to avoid the glowing LED because my wife finds it distracting on a night stand.
    That's a good point--I have black electrical tape over most of the LEDs and webcams in my home.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Bouncing, what type of USB-C device do you charge with this? I'd love to know if it can work with a Google Pixel and a Macbook, the two type C devices I happen to own.
    Hi, bchaplin! It should work perfectly with both a Pixel and all but the most powerful USB-C Macs. If you get your Macbook's charger and look at it, it should have a wattage number on it (35 watts, 60 watts, 87 watts, etc). The number might be hard to find, but I'm pretty sure it should be there.

This charger supports up to 60 watts. That's more than enough for a Pixel, and it's more than enough for most Macs. The Macbook Pro i8, however, has an 87 watt charger. 87 is more than 60, so this charger won't be enough for that powerful of a laptop.

Here's how this works, since Tom Bihn forum users are usually interested in technical details.

Every "USB-C PD" (PD means Power Delivery) charger has a list of "profiles" it can output. Here are a few standard examples:

• 5 volts at 2 amps = 10 watts
    • 12V @ 1.5A = 18W
    • 12v @ 3a = 36W
    • (etc...)

When the charger and your device connect, they communicate. The charger announces what it can provide, and the device communicates what it wants. From there, they find out what they have in common (if any) and that power profile is used.

Your cell phone will probably ask for 10 or 18 watts at most; while your laptop will ask for more power. This negotiation happens continuously, as both availability and needs change on both the charger and device. (For example, a battery pack may be able to supply less power as it discharges)

Additionally, if a device requires more energy than a charger can provide, it may be able to still charge or run, but less rapidly. That depends on the device and how it operates. For example my own laptop will charge on any wattage, but requires at least 30 watts when running.

In terms of making sure everything is safe to use, the most important thing is to make sure both your charger and cables are USB-IF certified -- which is to say, they follow the standard set forth by the standards body that controls the USB standard. The standard is designed to let any device safely plug into any charger, but on sites like Amazon, there are sometimes counterfeit chargers or cables that do not comply with the standard and can be dangerous to use.

That's why I made sure to buy a charger that is USB-IF certified, such as this one.

So, TL/DR; It will definitely work well with your Pixel phone. It will probably work with your Macbook, unless you have a high-powered Macbook, in which case you should get a more powerful charger.

Also, you can absolutely use your Macbook charger on your Pixel. That's perfectly safe and will work well.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to do this, but my lappy draws over 100W on it's own, so I was going to have trouble with all devices charging. At least I get 3 USBs to charge from on the proprietary adapter, it's really not so bad compared to the setup you have.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I wanted to do this, but my lappy draws over 100W on it's own, so I was going to have trouble with all devices charging. At least I get 3 USBs to charge from on the proprietary adapter, it's really not so bad compared to the setup you have.
    Must be a powerful machine.

FWIW, I've also taken the attitude that the laptop itself can act as a powered USB hub. At least on mine, the second USB C port will quick-charge my Pixel and one of the USB A ports has USB A fast charging.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be a powerful machine.

FWIW, I've also taken the attitude that the laptop itself can act as a powered USB hub. At least on mine, the second USB C port will quick-charge my Pixel and one of the USB A ports has USB A fast charging.
    Yeah, that's what I kind of do with mine as well. My total charging solution is:

1) Apple branded Lightning Cable
    2) Apple branded Apple Watch Cable
    3) Dual Lightning/Micro-USB third party cable. I don't see it online at the book store where I got it, but it kind of looks like this:
    I did it. I solved charging.-51bgycs2msl_500x500-jpg
    4) Native Union flat 2 port USB charger (https://www.amazon.ca/Native-Union-S.../dp/B01MYLTPID)
    5) My work provided Lenovo with it's 65W travel brick (the 90W brick stays attached to the dock on my desk). One of it's USB A ports is constantly powered when plugged in even with the laptop off, so I use it as a very large charger when needed.

And occasionally I may bring along a USB battery pack and/or a 12v USB adapter, all depending on the particular trip that's planned.

But those 3 cables tend to provide everything I need for charging during a trip. My always with me are:

1) Work provided laptop (on work trips) - dedicated cable
    2) Apple Watch - dedicated cable
    3) iPhone - only the apple branded cable
    4) iPad Mini - either the apple cable when it's not in use, or the dual third party cable when I need to charge both at the same time.

And my occasionally with me are:

1) Battery pack - charges using the dual cable
    2) Blu-toque (Bluetooth toque) (https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gifts...ey/p/108075939) - charges using the dual cable.
    3) Folding bluetooth headphones (Sony DR-BT22 - So old I can't find a reference photo) - these take a proprietary charger with a built in power brick, so when I do bring them, I just charge them up at home, and if they run out before the trip is over, so be it, I switch to my earbuds.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    3) Dual Lightning/Micro-USB third party cable. I don't see it online at the book store where I got it, but it kind of looks like this:
    You know, I got one of those (similar) and found it couldn't charge an iPad. What's your experience on that?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I got one of those (similar) and found it couldn't charge an iPad. What's your experience on that?
    Works fine with my iPad mini. You just have to orientate the 'lightning' side of the cable down, i.e. away from the home button. In the pins are facing up then they don't contact the pins in the iPad/iPhone.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works fine with my iPad mini. You just have to orientate the 'lightning' side of the cable down, i.e. away from the home button. In the pins are facing up then they don't contact the pins in the iPad/iPhone.
    Yeah, I did that. I have an iPad Pro -- maybe my cable just can't sustain that much current. At any rate, carrying an extra 3-inch cable works for me. Personally, I often travel without a tablet anyway.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I did that. I have an iPad Pro -- maybe my cable just can't sustain that much current. At any rate, carrying an extra 3-inch cable works for me. Personally, I often travel without a tablet anyway.
    I still travel with it, but since I got my X, my Mini's been seeing less and less use. If the X Max was available at the time, there's a good chance that would have completely replaced my Mini. I like the form factor of the Mini, but just find it easier to grab the phone out of my pocket with it's "good enough" size vs going to grab my Mini for whatever it is I'm doing.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still travel with it, but since I got my X, my Mini's been seeing less and less use. If the X Max was available at the time, there's a good chance that would have completely replaced my Mini. I like the form factor of the Mini, but just find it easier to grab the phone out of my pocket with it's "good enough" size vs going to grab my Mini for whatever it is I'm doing.
    Yeah, I hear you. As phones have gotten bigger, the use case for tablets has really diminished, at least for me. If foldable phones really become a thing, where you can open them like books into twice the screen size, I think that'll be it for the iPad mini, especially if Apple makes a folding iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast