Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Guelph, Ontario Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Aeronaut 45 and Norwegian Airlines minimums

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well! Just have a question. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in late April flying with Norwegian Airlines.
    This is my first time travelling with a budget airline.

I've checked their minimums and the Aeronaut 45 fits their restrictions just enough on the size, it's another 5 cm wider than their guidelines. My biggest concern is their carryon weight is restricted to 10 kg.
    It doesn't sound like a lot and should I consider taking another bag or the Aeronaut 45 should work?

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy the Aeronaut 30 instead....
    I also have the Synapse 25 backpack to consider using but maybe a bit TOO small for a 9 day trip.

Thank you for all your answers / responses.
    Colin
    (Proud owner of Navy/Solar Synapse, Linen/Steel Large Cafe Bag, and Olive/Wasabi Imago)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of the 10 kg restrictions I'm carry ons. I've done it before on short trips with the A45. Just gotta make sure you wear your heaviest things on the plane and you have a way to check the weight of your bag on the way back. The mini luggage scales are pretty cheap on Amazon. Have fun in Scotland!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrien View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've checked their minimums and the Aeronaut 45 fits their restrictions just enough on the size, it's another 5 cm wider than their guidelines. My biggest concern is their carryon weight is restricted to 10 kg.
    It doesn't sound like a lot and should I consider taking another bag or the Aeronaut 45 should work?
    Regarding bag size, personally, I would just under-pack and take the chance, but only you can determine if the extra bag width is an acceptable risk.
    10kg is quite a bit. I would definitely try to stay under 7kg. Pack your bags and with 10kg and carry it for 30 minutes to see how it feels. I guarantee you'll pack less when you go on your actual trip
    Last edited by ThomGault; 02-23-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick: Take your heaviest items, (toiletries, small tech, etc.) and isolate them in small containers such as 3D cubes or cubelets. Then stuff them in your coat pocket right before weighing if needed. Also, weigh it all before you go so you're prepared rather than being surprised at the counter. Even if their scale is different, it's good to have a ballpark idea of how close you are to the limit.

The A45 should work, but the A30 is not a bad thing to add to your travel arsenal.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bchaplin's idea of carrying heavier items on your person is a great one. A pocket for your battery pack, a pocket for your charger, etc. Of course you can also weigh your bag at home using a luggage scale (they're cheat at Target, etc).

I would be a little concerned, however, about the 5cm it's allegedly over. I've heard of European budget airlines that turn you away even if your bag fits in the thing because it's squishy. That could be rough.

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We flew Norwegian Airlines and my son took an A45 with no problems whatsoever. We are all light packers so the A45 was not stuffed to the brim. I have a handheld bag scale at home so we test-weighed our bags prior to leaving just to make sure we didn't go over the weight. No one asked him to put it in the bag size checker I think because he wore it backpack style (and no request to weigh it either).
    Of course, if you just want an excuse to buy an A30 go for it - the A30 is my most favorite bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to remember, 10kg is basically 22lbs. Thatís actually quite a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Guelph, Ontario Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

Thank you for all the fantastic advice and feedback! I've bought a digital luggage scale from Amazon and I'll use the A45 for this trip but I do see a A30 in the future.
    All the tips are great especially with packing heavier items onto your coat, not your pack. I believe Norwegian allows for a personal bag which I will bring my daylight pack from TB as well.

I've been travelling as carry-on for a while - this is just the 1st airline I have flown with the 10 kg limit.

Cheers!
    (Proud owner of Navy/Solar Synapse, Linen/Steel Large Cafe Bag, and Olive/Wasabi Imago)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they do weigh your bags, it will be both the personal item and the carry-on. But you should be fine.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrien View Post
    Hi guys,

Thank you for all the fantastic advice and feedback! I've bought a digital luggage scale from Amazon and I'll use the A45 for this trip but I do see a A30 in the future.
    All the tips are great especially with packing heavier items onto your coat, not your pack. I believe Norwegian allows for a personal bag which I will bring my daylight pack from TB as well.

I've been travelling as carry-on for a while - this is just the 1st airline I have flown with the 10 kg limit.

Cheers!
    I am also going to Scotland this summer and we plan to fly Ryan air to come back to London from Edinburgh to fly back on this side of the pond. I am thinking of using my Aeronaut 30 and I think it will help keeping everything under the weight limit. I once did 4.5 kg with the A30 for a 2-week trip by being very very careful (after hurting my back on an earlier trip with an over-full (for me) A30.)

Have fun on your trip!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When flying the discount airlines, you need to be careful and read the procedure for each airline. Carry on bag limits will be different for each one. Many in Europe care about size and weight.

You also need to read everything about what to do on the day of flight. Some airlines insist you print your boarding pass before you get to the airport or they charge you. Some only allow one bag. Some only allow a bag the size of a personal item. If you want something bigger, you pay for it. A reserved seat is extra. If your bag is slightly overweight, they will charge. If it is too big, they will charge. Some care about the main carry on only when it comes to weight, others combine the two allowed carry on bags. Food is extra. Drinks are extra.

When flying between Edinburgh and London, there are many choices. Did you consider which airport in London you arrive--there are six--and what it will cost to get into town? Sometimes, when you add all the extras when flying a discount carrier, it isn't much less than the more convenient mainstream airlines.

And remember, a soft sided bag, unless packed to the gills, will have a little bit of give here and there.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing, 10kg is 22 lbs. That is quite a bit for most people to put on their back without a true support system. Theoretically, you shouldn't put more than 10% of your body weight on your back without a way to truly distribute the weight.

Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We flew Norwegian from LHR to Bergen, Norway this past September. I had an A45 that wasn’t overpacked or underpacked, pretty much “exactly” packed to its dimensions without any stretching or stuffing. (This particular A45 is halcyon). I walked onto the plane with it using the Absolute strap in cross-body mode. No one even glanced my way. I also had my pilot as my personal item, on one shoulder.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can travel with a carry on, restricted to 7kg.

I did it with one Halcyon A45 with plus size clothes and an Halcyon Tristar with one pair of jeans and other medium size clothes.

If you are a medium size person, invest in an A30 in Halcyon, which is great for domestic trips and weight restricted European* airlines.

Bring your scale with you, so that you can weight your bag, on the way back.

Limit yourself to fabric souvenirs, Scotland is great for that.

The other great experiences are foods/drinks, hikes/visits and pictures taken of all the experiences.

The good thing is, the second activity cancels the weight gain from the first.

Head over to useful websites, now, to have a better idea of the lay of the land at your destination: Frank II's , Scotland Tourism office, as well as the webpages from the cities and sites you plan to visit.

Websites that must be bookmarked and consulted often: your airline, the departure and arrival airport.

Do you have accommodations already planned? Once in Scotland, are you traveling by train, bus or car?

* I don't know if other continents/regions have airlines with weight limits for carryons.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-01-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One correction.....Norwegian has a 10kg weight limit (22 lbs) but this is a combination of both the main carry on and the personal item.