Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a generic, master packing list that has everything I might need to take regardless of time of year. (Everything from a scarf for winter to sun tan lotion for summer.) This will be personal for everyone.

I then copy/paste the list into a new document and title it the name of the trip. As an example, the trip I am on now is titled "Packing List--Spring 2019".

I then go through the list and delete any item that I don't need for that trip. This is continual as I prepare for the trip and packing.

For this trip, I thought it might be interesting to see if I could then organize the list by packing cube/location rather than general categories. I have been using a number of smaller packing cubes so this way has helped me find things rather than just search.

Of course, if use the same bag in the future, I can always copy/paste this new packing list to make my packing more efficient. It also helps with repacking as I know where everythng goes and that it will fit since it fit in the first place.

My master packing list is constantly changing as I find newer items to replace the old. As an example, I have replaced all of my USB cords with retractable versions that work well.

I also have a section at the bottom of my list titled "To Buy". These are all the items I need to get/replace before my trip. I will add to this during m current trip so I know what I need to get before the next one. There is an additional section called "Packing Tips" where I remind myself of new things to do for my future trips. (As an example, last year I tried a new shirt. It wrinkled horribly. I wrote this down to remind myself not to bring it.)

When I do my final pack, I print out the list and cross off items as they get packed. (I do this the day before I leave so if I do need to get something, I have time. )

It sounds complicated and a lot of work but it isn't for me. Some people collect stamps, I arrange packing lists.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also mention that the master packing list is by category: Clothes, toiletries, electronics, etc.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if anyone has used Notion (https://notion.so/) - it's sort of a wiki-esque notepad app - and it has a pretty robust database/spreadsheet hybrid feature. I've just started messing around with this kinda thing and I wanted to measure the weight of everything I might carry. I can make different "views" and turn on and off different items to see the sum of their weight. It's a work in progress!

You can check out my list here and if you want you can duplicate it (and edit to your hearts content) for your own account. https://www.notion.so/justinraymond/...730d93cc853004
    Last edited by toupee; 05-01-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toupee View Post
    I don't know if anyone has used Notion (https://notion.so/) - it's sort of a wiki-esque notepad app - and it has a pretty robust database/spreadsheet hybrid feature. I've just started messing around with this kinda thing and I wanted to measure the weight of everything I might carry. I can make different "views" and turn and off different items to see the sum of their weight. It's a work in progress!

You can check out my list here and if you want you can duplicate it (and edit to your hearts content) for your own account. https://www.notion.so/justinraymond/...730d93cc853004
    Ooh I like the look of that, thank you. Might try it for my next trip!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a really fun program, I've been using it for all kinds of organization - I shouldn't be surprised Tom Bihn fans might like it

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I handwrite every single packing list. Yes, it’s more work - but the act of handwriting makes me think about each trip and what I think I’ll need.

I do have some shortcuts. For instance, I have a Q-kit that contains a couple of AC adapters, cables, and a spare battery for an iPhone or Kindle; that will be listed as “charger kit”. I have a couple of toiletry bags that are mostly packed all of the time, so I can just note “small toiletry bag” or “large toiletry bag” on the list. I also have small kits made up for letters and postcards (I use Lihit Lab organizers for this) so I will also note which one of three (!) in the packing list.

Once the list is done I can just go down the list the night before, pack the bag, and get the satisfaction of crossing things off a list.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is similar to what I do. The most variation is in the clothing needed because of the weather, so that's usually what I focus on in the written list. The general formula is: packing cubes of clothes, chargers in a 3DOC (stays packed), Deluxe Spiff Kit (stays packed), and then any special things like extra shoes and special event clothes or gear.

Quote Originally Posted by allanorn View Post
    I handwrite every single packing list. Yes, it’s more work - but the act of handwriting makes me think about each trip and what I think I’ll need.

I do have some shortcuts. For instance, I have a Q-kit that contains a couple of AC adapters, cables, and a spare battery for an iPhone or Kindle; that will be listed as “charger kit”. I have a couple of toiletry bags that are mostly packed all of the time, so I can just note “small toiletry bag” or “large toiletry bag” on the list. I also have small kits made up for letters and postcards (I use Lihit Lab organizers for this) so I will also note which one of three (!) in the packing list.

Once the list is done I can just go down the list the night before, pack the bag, and get the satisfaction of crossing things off a list.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I really should go digital with my packing lists, but at the moment I write down everything on small lined cards. I use 1 card for each trip/holiday. I mark down what worked, what didnt, ie what I wore and anything that would have made it easier if I had taken it.
    Whenever Im packing for a new trip, I grab all the cards and work out which might work for this trip.
    It’s was an eye opener, when I used to take different outfits for everyday, didnt do laundry, and took lots of shoes.
    The turning point, when I started using a limited colour palate of 4 colours, and would only buy clothing in those colours.Which cut down automatically on the amount of clothing and footwear I took.
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3