Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one of those bags. I always thought those were more of a gimmick that just added unnecessary weight compared to just carrying a regular backup battery in an external pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    Oh, one of those bags. I always thought those were more of a gimmick that just added unnecessary weight compared to just carrying a regular backup battery in an external pocket.
    I agree. Smart luggage is a total gimmick.

Batteries only have so many charge cycles before they lose significant capacity, so you're tying your bag's longevity to your battery. Plus you can't move the battery comfortably into another, smaller day bag. And just overall, you'll get a superior battery with newer technology just by buying them separately. Maybe with rollie bags in particular, there's a case to be made for having a conduit for the cable to make its way outside of the bag, but I still think that's mostly unnecessary. I know some smart bags have "tracker" features, but those require a critical mass of mesh networking to work which isn't and probably never will exist.

A combined battery/bag merges two completely unrelated things, needlessly so, thus complicating everything. It's a bad idea IMO.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably get the kind that would end up exploding or becoming some kind of accidental electromagnet or something anyway...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they were a gimmick as well. I always had a backup battery. But, while waiting in a few airports I easily plugged my phone into the backup battery and charged it. No need to dig inside my bag for the battery. Just open the battery compartment and start charging.

During a long flight when I had to charge my phone, I've been able to pop the battery out without having to open the bag. (All batteries must easily be removed for flights in case the bag is checked. Mine pops out and pops back in.) Dual port 10,000 mah. Good quality.

The mechanism that holds the battery only weighs a few ounces. I keep a retractable USB cord in my pocket during travel. Sometimes I luck out and the plane has a USB port.

As an example, a few weeks ago I had a long layover. No charging ports just regular plugs and none near seats. If I wanted to charge my phone and use it, I'd have to sit on the floor while charging. Or, I could have opened my bag, dug out the battery and connected it. Instead, I just flipped open the battery compartment and plugged in. Easy.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you carry any TB bag, up to and including a full sized Aeronaut, you wonít be asked to check it at the door to the plane unless itís really stuffed and you look like youíre struggling. Just tell them youíll put it under the seat. My large Aeronaut fits under the seat of a Ryanair 737, an EasyJet A300 and a FlyBe Dash 8.

But, be careful, because the sizes for RyanAir carry on bags have reduced recently. Iíve not used them since, so watch out! However, youíll still get your bag under the seat; that hasnít changed!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been travelling for several years now with a little nylon reusable shopping tote that folds up into its own pouch. I usually have it tucked into my purse/shoulder bag for exactly this scenario, which happened to me the first time I flew carry-on only (using a maximum dimensions hard-sided roller bag). It has never happened to me since (I've been travelling with a backpack, and now a TB A30 that fits in those teeny little overhead bins), but I like the comfort of my backup plan. Take batteries and charging things out of suitcase, stow them in the shopping tote, put my purse in the shopping tote, and shove it under the seat in front of me.

It's also nice to have this option when a very frazzled flight attendant is trying to explain that there's just no overhead bin space left around my seat. I just hand her my suitcase and tell her I really don't care where it goes, everything I need during the flight can be put in my tote bag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2