Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who go over the limit on European low-cost carriers: what happens to batteries

Just a quick travel question, especially for Europeans.

Fortunately I've seldom been separated from my luggage, but if I ever am, what happens to the fact that I have several lithium-ion devices in my bag? My laptop, kindle, battery backup, etc are all, on most airlines, considered unsuitable for checked luggage and thus must be carried on. But what if, on RyanAir or something similar, I'm required to check an Aeronaut 30 that has all that in it? Are you actually expected to put your laptop by itself in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you?

Thanks! Plane

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just European low cost, there's some risk, for example with smaller regional aircraft and fully loaded flights, that any large carry on bag could be asked to be checked in. That's why I always pack another empty bag, normally a Zipped Shopping Bag which lays fully flat (and gives me useful bag at destination), inside my Aeronaut.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically, you're supposed to remove medications, important documents, valuables, and lithium batteries before force checking a bag
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Theoretically, you're supposed to remove medications, important documents, valuables, and lithium batteries before force checking a bag
    And just have them floating freely in the overhead bin?

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always have a little bag folded up in case.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    That's on you. I would protect my valuables and important items by having an underseat-sized bag ready.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    You put them under the seat in front of you... in whatever your second bag is
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    You should always have a little bag folded up in case.
    This is a key travel ninja lifehack. Always marsupialize, just in case.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once knew a guy who had to "planeside valet" his laptop bag, and got back a broken laptop screen. When I started my one-bag journey, I went with a Briggs & Riley roll-aboard that had a removable computer sleeve just for that reason. If I had to check/valet the bag, I'd be able to pull out the laptop bag and carry that on instead.

People who go over the limit on European low-cost carriers: what happens to batteries-bryvbu420cinside-jpg

However, now with TB, I've learnt how to travel light enough to never have that worry. My fully packed bag weighs less than that B&R bag does empty. If I was going to be pushing it on the limits, with a budget like Ryan, I'd probably revert to a bag-in-a-bag type solution, so that if I had to check the bigger one, I'd have an easy way to carry my breakables/uncheckables with me. Problem with that approach, is that inner bag adds weight, so if you're close to the limits, adding a bag will just help to push you over. it becomes a bit of a fine balancing act. Do you take the weight hit "just in case" or do you avoid all excess weight "just in case"?

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    People who go over the limit on European low-cost carriers: what happens to batteries-bryvbu420cinside-jpg
    Looking at that, I'm struggling to think of where one's clothes might go!

However, now with TB, I've learnt how to travel light enough to never have that worry. My fully packed bag weighs less than that B&R bag does empty. If I was going to be pushing it on the limits, with a budget like Ryan, I'd probably revert to a bag-in-a-bag type solution, so that if I had to check the bigger one, I'd have an easy way to carry my breakables/uncheckables with me. Problem with that approach, is that inner bag adds weight, so if you're close to the limits, adding a bag will just help to push you over. it becomes a bit of a fine balancing act. Do you take the weight hit "just in case" or do you avoid all excess weight "just in case"?
    Yeah, that is the problem. I've been really thinking about just going to 100% one bag travel, just to simplify. I know a lot of people do it, but to me this seems like the biggest obstacle.

I personally generally avoid the RyanAirs of the world, but sometimes you can't avoid it, especially in Europe.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southwest almost did this to me and I freaked. Thankfully in the end they let me on but I learned fast and this is why I always fly with a DLBP folded inside.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my inner bag is always just a folded grocery tote, which adds minimal weight and which I usually end up using anyway.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delta is big on announcing that backup batteries can not be carried in the bag that goes into the overhead. They don't want lithium batteries in the overhead. They are supposed to go in your personal item under the seat in front of you

True one bag travelers are rare. Most people have some sort of second bag.

On my last two Delta flights the gate agent asked me to remove the battery from my bag as I was boarding the plane (my bag has a battery holder). I did. And as I was walking down the jetway I put it back. Probably not the smartest thing as it was a regional jet and my bag was gate checked.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a battery holder?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some newer wheeled bags have a compartment for a backup battery allowing you to charge a phone or tablet without digging into the bag. The battery also pops out.

They're called "smart bags."

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast