Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 nights, 3 people, 1 NFTD. 3 nights, HsJ

I've got two upcoming trips just me and my two kids, 6 and 3.

The first trip is two nights in a Night Flight Travel Duffel:

I am immensely pleased with myself for managing to pack for all of us in a NFTD!

The secret to this is our travel outfits. They'll be washed and worn again on day 3. I always end up washing everything anyway so I may as well plan for it! Left end pocket has Deluxe Spiff Kit. Main compartment contains 3 NFTD cubes, one each. Right end pocket contains a TSS2 with my down jacket and a 3DOC with chargers. The Scrubba wash bag sits on top of the cubes.

Other secret of this is that I'll have my PU with me. Love that bag. Always has what I need, first aid kit, etc.

The second trip is three nights and I'm packing the Hero's Journey:

It makes me laugh that I am packing Tom Bihn's smallest travel Duffel for two nights and their largest for three.

The difference of course is the type of trip. The second trip is to a beach and pool and we will take a two hour train journey to get there, and those two differences mean I need swim stuff, water shoes, and kiddo entertainment to keep them quiet on the train.

Here you can see the NFTD cubes each in a PCSB next to the additional sun/beach items for each person.

The UV PCSB holds pool gear for all three of us and the nano Coyote Pouch is my dedicated locker coin Pouch. The Pouchkin is there in case I need to take off jewelry before swimming.

The bottom pocket is dedicated to water shoes but I have unsnapped the divider to allow the main compartment to expand as the shoes don't take up the whole pocket.

The top bag is holding entertainment and stuff for the train. A small Snake Charmer holds folding kids headphones and a 3DOC holds snacks. The hidden side pocket of the top bag holds an iPad mini and coloring/sticker books.

I've said it before but the HsJ is so amazing. This is a car-free trip so I have to carry everything on my back from a bus to a train to another bus and then a half mile walk. And it is a self-catering holiday so I have to buy milk, bread, etc and carry that as well. The Shop Bag stuck between the additional side pocket will hold groceries that we need for our stay. The side pocket is holding oatmeal packets and tea bags.

I will post more detailed pics of what's in the cubes later, as months of slowly replacing items with smaller-packing stuff has paid off big time.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-26-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive, and your attention to detail will pay off!! I must confess that even at 3 I forced my littlest to wear a (tiny) backpack to keep stuff like swimsuit and shoes in. A key to this is the sternum strap, which makes it much more comfortable for them to wear and much harder to take off. :P

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Travel outfit. Quick drying travel jeans, quick drying top, wool socks.

The travel outfit will be washed and worn on Day 3, to return home.

My packed clothes are also all quick drying small packing stuff that I have accumulated over the last couple of years: a long sleeved top, a short sleeved top, wool socks and jersey pants that are intended for PJs but in an emergency could be an outfit with the short sleeved top. I've had milk and orange juice spilled on my jeans while traveling before so I would like a backup just in case.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thrilled with my pool setup, I've thought really hard about this and I think it will work a treat.

So, taking two little kids to the pool by yourself is just hard before you even think about having to wrangle a lot of stuff as well as wiggly slippery kids.

I got these little linen towel ponchos from Etsy in custom sizes and this is what we'll have instead of towels. This will keep the towels small and will keep them on their bodies:

The red thing is a dry bag I'll use for wet swim suits.

Here is my daughter's suit and towel, then my son's:

I could get away with a linen towel but I'll pack my short linen robe. There are individual changing cubicles but there is a lot of mixed gender communal space in the changing rooms and I'd like not to worry about what I'm wearing when I am worrying about whether we've remembered everything from the locker/shower etc. It just fits in the bag with everything else.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the linen towel solutions! And your ninja packing skillz!!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    And your ninja packing skillz!!
    That's definitely a skill you have to work at!

Christina, definitely envy your original halcyon/wasabi NFTD. I came to the TB game too late! I've got one of the last black ballistic/NWS that they had!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    That's definitely a skill you have to work at!

Christina, definitely envy your original halcyon/wasabi NFTD. I came to the TB game too late! I've got one of the last black ballistic/NWS that they had!
    Stay vigilant and have hope: That lovely NFTD popped up on eBay UK just last week! :-)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím about to go for 4 days (but just with me) in my NFTD. Iím glad other folks love it like I do!

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I am between trips now. The NFTD worked great! I washed everything every night. I had everything I needed, even though I forgot my shampoo at home I used the kids' one then the one in the room.

There were a couple of instances in which I really appreciated the small size:

-Leaving the bag at the hotel for a few hours. It was by far the smallest bag in the luggage area, even next to some purse-like Tote bags.
    -Repacking on the last day. Less brought = less to repack
    -On the trip home. I always come home with at least one extra bag, usually a shopping bag full of leftover snacks and random items I've bought. On this trip that bag also contained an outfit for my son to wear to a wedding, makeup I bought for said wedding, and a couple of neat things I picked up for our trip this coming weekend. Because my main bag was so small, having an extra bag wasn't as bad.

So, the summary is that it is indeed feasible and even a good idea to take a NFTD for three people on a two night trip! This setup works well as long as I don't need any extra shoes for anyone, and as long as I don't mind washing clothes every night. I imagine a Mini Yeoman would also work but I think it's a hair smaller than the NFTD so maybe you'd have to wear the down jacket instead of stuffing it in.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cristina - I used to have a NFTD (traded it for a Western Flyer) and can confirm it is larger than a mini Yeoman Duffel. What I miss most about the NFTD are the end pockets. They are fabulous! But I'm enjoying the mini YD

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post

So, the summary is that it is indeed feasible and even a good idea to take a NFTD for three people on a two night trip! This setup works well as long as I don't need any extra shoes for anyone, and as long as I don't mind washing clothes every night. I imagine a Mini Yeoman would also work but I think it's a hair smaller than the NFTD so maybe you'd have to wear the down jacket instead of stuffing it in.
    Formally, the NFTD volume is 20 liters, while the Mini YD is 17 liters. On the other hand, it is possible to pack at 13" laptop into the Mini YD (and even have room to stuff a Side Effect at the edge). In fact, since I tried the test pack with the old Size 6Z Cache (that some people were using for 14" non-Apple laptops, although it was designed for the 13" MacBooks at the time the Synapse first debuted), there may even be a little more leeway. And I can stuff shoes into the side pockets of the NFTD (in fact, I've found that I can pack a pair of high heels into a Side Kick which goes into the end pockets of the NFTD).

Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    @Cristina - I used to have a NFTD (traded it for a Western Flyer) and can confirm it is larger than a mini Yeoman Duffel. What I miss most about the NFTD are the end pockets. They are fabulous! But I'm enjoying the mini YD
    Yes, I do like the design of the NFTD end pockets. And the Mini YD is great, too. Of the YD series, I'm most likely to use the Mini, and then the Small. These are surprisingly nice bags to use.