Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip

    I have a trip Monday (April Fools Day) where I plan to use the Daylight Backpack (DLBP) with mini Yeoman Duffel (YD) for an 18-day work trip – and that’s no prank.

    In December 2018, I bought a black ballistic/NWS DLBP. I received it on a Friday and used it the following Monday on a 3-day work trip as my only bag. I knew I wanted to fly with it again but I could not figure out how to use it on longer trips, where I usually one-bag it. It didn’t pack as easily as my Daylight Briefcase. I decided if I was to use it for work travel, I needed a two-bag system. So, in January, I bought a burnt orange mini YD.

    I purchased a set of REI packing cubes. These expand to twice their depth but can be zipped up to compress contents, if not using the entire extra depth. I’m using the small and medium. The small I was able to compress but the medium I was not. I was able to get all my clothing and 3-1-1 (3D Clear Organizer Cube) in the mini YD. There was no extra room and it takes a bit of effort to get the full packing cubes in and out. I will report back on how well (or how poorly) this set up works.

    Here’s my list (updated pre-trip), followed by a few photos.

    Wearing:
    jeans, t-shirt, sweater, bra, undies, socks, black shoes and a jacket (wear or carry)

    At bottom of mini YD:
    2 pants

    Small REI packing cube:
    1 short-sleeve tee
    1 tank bra
    2 undies
    3 socks
    1 shorts
    1 swimsuit
    1 wool buff

    Medium REI packing cube:
    1 Sleep shirt
    3 long-sleeve tops (had 4; removed 1)
    1 cardigan
    1 capris (had 2; removed exercise leggings)
    1 beanie (sleep hat)

    DLBP:
    Dell Latitude 7480 14-inch Laptop in 15D cache
    Laptop charger in No. 1 Travel Stuff Sack (solar)
    Assorted cables and items in No. 2 Travel Stuff Sack (wasabi)
    Medium Double Organizer Pouch (linen) with random stuff
    Tool/Pen Wrap (Iberian) with pens
    Travel Cubelet (NWS/carbon) with wallet and EDC things
    Luna Sandals

    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-1_what-goes-jpg
    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-2_all-packed-jpg
    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-3_yd-packed-jpg
    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-4_yd-dlbp-jpg

    I am flying Southwest and know I will more than likely be sitting in a middle seat. Based on measurements, I think both of these bags will fit under the seat. I'll report back on that too. Hopefully with photographic evidence.
    Last edited by sujo; 03-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,381
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an impressive pack out - can't wait to hear how it works in practice!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  3. #3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Share
    Location: Germany / Hobbies: Photography & Guitars
    Posts
    251
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, very impressed too! The YDs are great bags, and I am curious to hear how you manage with the mini, I am a fan of the small ones (have two of them).
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

  4. #4
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this! I'm currently away with my NFTD and PU and it's nice having the smallest bag around.

    You said that it is kind of a tight fit when it's all packed. I noticed you've got 4 long sleeved tops and 4 bottoms (2 pants 2 capris). If you're looking to make it fit a bit better I might consider dropping one long sleeved top (since you have 2 short sleeved tops and a cardigan and a sweater), and one pair of either capris or pants, depending on the forecast. I know it is a work trip so you may prefer to have more variety, but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

    Have a splendid trip!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Love this! I'm currently away with my NFTD and PU and it's nice having the smallest bag around.

    ... If you're looking to make it fit a bit better I might consider dropping one long sleeved top (since you have 2 short sleeved tops and a cardigan and a sweater), and one pair of either capris or pants, depending on the forecast. I know it is a work trip so you may prefer to have more variety, but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case.
    Funny, I have thought about these two things and was on the fence for both. One capri is for wearing after work and weekends. The other is an exercise legging capri. But since I have shorts, I can probably ditch the exercise legging. And I took one top out, then put it back in. I've been hem-hawing about it since. Seeing your comment gave me a better picture of my items, so I might take that top out again, and for the last time. )

    Thanks for the tips.

    ETA: Updated my packing list to reflect removal of one capri and one top.

    ETA 2: Removing those two items, freed up enough space that I could compress the medium cube a bit. This allows me to get the packing cubes in and out without as much effort and leaves enough room on top to put the Luna Sandals in the YD. This now means I have wiggle room for the return trip, making me feel all warm and fuzzy about this set up.
    Last edited by sujo; 03-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    Funny, I have thought about these two things and was on the fence for both. One capri is for wearing after work and weekends. The other is an exercise legging capri. But since I have shorts, I can probably ditch the exercise legging. And I took one top out, then put it back in. I've been hem-hawing about it since. Seeing your comment gave me a better picture of my items, so I might take that top out again, and for the last time. )

    Thanks for the tips.

    ETA: Updated my packing list to reflect removal of one capri and one top.

    ETA 2: Removing those two items, freed up enough space that I could compress the medium cube a bit. This allows me to get the packing cubes in and out without as much effort and leaves enough room on top to put the Luna Sandals in the YD. This now means I have wiggle room for the return trip, making me feel all warm and fuzzy about this set up.
    Fantastic! I love that warm and fuzzy feeling.

  7. #7
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick note and picture. Both bags fit under the window seat on a Southwest 737-700. The DLBP is angled just a bit. If this was the middle seat, it would have laid flat. I did not try the aisle seat, though I had an opportunity to. I was stoked when I checked in and was in Group A boarding. Turns out, the plane was under filled and EVERYBODY boarding was Group A.

    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-6_under-seat-jpg

  8. #8
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I returned from the 18-day trip for Easter weekend. But now I go back for 31 days.

    I am using the same set up and packing essentially the same thing. However, I must be packing more efficiently because I was able to get a pair of shoes in the top of the mini Yeoman this time. Oh, and flip flops, one shoved along either side.

    Mini YD and DLBP for 18-day trip-7_with-shoes-jpg

    I'm digging this set up.
    Last edited by sujo; 04-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,948
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's amazing! I'm surprised at how much you are fitting in the Mini Yeoman Duffel!
    I wonder how it compares to the Pop Tote or Night Flight Travel Duffel, which are both theoretically slightly larger, and bags I've used for traveling a few times now. (Obviously the Pop Tote doesn't have the strap for shoulder-carrying.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    150
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    That's amazing! I'm surprised at how much you are fitting in the Mini Yeoman Duffel!
    I wonder how it compares to the Pop Tote or Night Flight Travel Duffel, which are both theoretically slightly larger, and bags I've used for traveling a few times now. (Obviously the Pop Tote doesn't have the strap for shoulder-carrying.)
    I recently did a trial pack for a brief 3 night trip - NFTD, MYD & SYD. No flights involved, just road, rail and feet. Having the shoulder carry option was a must, so no PT this time.
    Whilst I love the organisation of the NFTD, and of course the cute looks, it doesn't cope with shoes very well so the Small YD won out on this occasion. The Mini YD was a tiny bit too tight, when packed, for easy retrieval of pouches etc tethered to the inside O-rings.
    I still hope to see a reborn, tweaked NFTD, without that foam insert, or a baby Road Buddy, one day perhaps!

  11. #11
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think the NFTD holds more but because the Yeoman is an open compartment, I can fit things in better. I finally accepted that I am, and have always been, a duffel kind of girl.

    As I said above, I'm using the REI packing cubes and they fill the space completely. The small length is the same as the medium width, so they total about 17 inches long and fill the bag's length. They are about 3.25" deep but expand an extra 3" if needed. I have them packed full but compressed a bit, so they are roughly 4 inches deep each, leaving enough space for the 3D organizer cube and shoes. The bag is wider than the cubes, so there was just enough room to slide a flip flop on either side.

    Nothing moves in there. It is packed tight, tight, tight.

    I don't have a Pop Tote (still hear "Tart" every time). I have the Small Zip Shop Bag and I could not get both packing cubes in there.

    I didn't think I'd enjoy two-bag travel this much. It really is nice. The mini YD is light enough that it doesn't hurt my shoulder. I use the Simple Strap and it stays on my shoulder on top of the backpack strap of the DLBP. It's also light enough to hand carry without issue.

    Just so nice.

    Edited to add: By the way, I wear a size 7.5 US, so that helps too. Anything larger than 8 US would probably not fit or something else would need to come out.
    Last edited by sujo; 04-22-2019 at 07:31 AM.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    150
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    I do think the NFTD holds more but because the Yeoman is an open compartment, I can fit things in better. I finally accepted that I am, and have always been, a duffel kind of girl.

    As I said above, I'm using the REI packing cubes and they fill the space completely. The small length is the same as the medium width, so they total about 17 inches long and fill the bag's length. They are about 3.25" deep but expand an extra 3" if needed. I have them packed full but compressed a bit, so they are roughly 4 inches deep each, leaving enough space for the 3D organizer cube and shoes. The bag is wider than the cubes, so there was just enough room to slide a flip flop on either side.




    Nothing moves in there. It is packed tight, tight, tight.

    I don't have a Pop Tote (still hear "Tart" every time). I have the Small Zip Shop Bag and I could not get both packing cubes in there.

    I didn't think I'd enjoy two-bag travel this much. It really is nice. The mini YD is light enough that it doesn't hurt my shoulder. I use the Simple Strap and it stays on my shoulder on top of the backpack strap of the DLBP. It's also light enough to hand carry without issue.

    Just so nice.

    Edited to add: By the way, I wear a size 7.5 US, so that helps too. Anything larger than 8 US would probably not fit or something else would need to come out.
    I am really impressed that you can manage to pack so much into these two TBs. Well done!
    It is so pleasing and satisfying to travel lightly, comfortably and without the hassle and physical challenges of a big bag, whether on two shoulders or one!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    33
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always envious of female work clothes options. At 6’2” and usually needing a suit I always need to go bigger. I wish guys had more “business” clothes options rather than just the monkey suit and tie.

    I can make a short work trip in my Tristar and DLBC. I think that will do it it for me as the smallest option.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Share
    Location: Germany / Hobbies: Photography & Guitars
    Posts
    251
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true! I always try to go minimal but as soon as I have to pack my business shirts I always end up with the Tristar and one of my backpacks.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

  15. #15
    Forum Member sujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Share
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    372
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @johntubbs and @bartleby -- I don't know what I'd do if I had to dress for a business environment. My company is business casual, with emphasis on the casual. But I would probably has the same set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •