Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: How heavy?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How heavy?

My husband and I have been discussing how and what to pack for our three-week train trip this summer. Obviously we will not be on trains the whole time - there are a couple of cities (Munich, Vienna, Berlin), some time in the Alps, some time spent visiting friends. We will also have our two kids, 6 and 11.

For kids, the recommendation is 10% of their body weight for a pack that they can comfortably carry for a while. For our two, that's between 2-3kg for the little and between 3-4kg for the big (who is a small big).

I have been thinking that the same sort of metric might be good for us too, which would mean a load of around 7 kg, a bit more for my husband, a bit less for me.

My A30 is 1.3kg already, plus frame sheet and belt (although, I might not need the belt if packing at 7kg!) The A45 is 1.4kg.

Besides these, we'll have a separate food bag, or perhaps two, since we'll be needing to consistently feed a family of four while on trains that may or may not have dining cars and where the food will certainly not be good value for money!

I'm certain that we will be able to do laundry and am happy to launder even every night, so I anticipate we'll only really need two sets of clothes and pyjamas (which may have to do double duty on occasion). But those clothes will have to tolerate dirt and dry overnight, as well as be suitable for cities and for hiking. We'll need to be able to layer (the mountains can always be chilly, especially at night). We'll also need swimsuits and towels (we have lightweight quick drying linen towels so I'm happy with this.

We'll have to drastically cut down electronics -- we typically travel with 2 iPads but I'm not sure that's feasible. Phones more like, but what for the little one (who obviously has no phone).

Any suggestions?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what are your daypack options? When I took a 6 night, 6 city train journey, I left my luggage in a locker in each train station for a few Euros a day.

My main tip would be that if possible, you should buy your kids (and yourself!) some merino layers that do not need washing every night. I normally do wash clothes every night while traveling but some facilities just make it a huge pain even with the Scrubba bag. Like, if I don't have a nice large extra towel (not needed for a shower) to wrap the wet clothes in to squeeze out the extra water, they take much longer to dry. Merino layers could be worn a few times without washing.

This is the clothes bundle I pack for my 6yo. Two thin jersey dresses that could also be nightgowns, two thin leggings, wool socks, undies, and a set of base layers which can be pajamas too. So everything can be day or night clothes and everything will dry overnight.

I usually keep the swim stuff separate but it would easily fit in a PCSB with this bundle.

What I'm missing is a thin merino zippered layer. I'd like to add that as an option under a soft shell jacket for extra warmth.

Polarn O Pyret is having a sale right now, they have merino layers. (That's where my kids' socks come from)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think you should test as soon as you receive the frame and belt, fill your bags and walk for 30 min for each test, as it sounds silly walking at home with a full backpack, at least you will not regret taking or not the frame and/or the belt on the trip.

For myself, over 6kg I'd take at least the belt, but I think it depends of people, it is up to you
    BTW 5-7kg is a good weight for women bag and I guess arround 7-10kg for men's (for travel bag of course, not daily bag )

I think 2kg is the maximum for the little one, because it will likely end in parent's hands...
    Last edited by Rei; 04-11-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I spent a month in Germany last year, and we only took an A45 each and a Sidekick each. Fully packed, I don't think the A45s were as heavy as 7kg. But they were certainly at our limit. I wished we'd had the framesheet and belt, but those didn't come out until after our trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be well worth doing a test pack at home of different weights in each bag you are thinking of using. Doesn't matter what you pack them with, any clothes or towels etc would do.
    Then you'll be able to try 7kg, 10kg etc and see how each weight feels on.
    My average daysack weight for a hike has been around 7kg all my adult life, regardless of my bodyweight, but other folk are uncomfortable carrying much less. We are all built differently, so that's why I suggest that you experiment.
    Also, as I think BWeaves had mentioned elsewhere, the same weight in a different bag can feel quite different!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fully packed A30 is about my limit, I wouldn't be able to handle an A45. I know mine usually weighs in at 9-10K when we fully pack. I am reassured that you all think that 7kg is reasonable and doable.

Most of the advice I see online is for flights, like "pack no shampoo and buy it there" which is a bit less reasonable if you're travelling by train. A lot of the other stuff is basic how to pack light, which we already do.

I wrote down a list, anyway, and I'm going to see how it packs up... I'm also going to test wash and hang-overnight-dry items from the list.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a packing list and a test pack for all the members of the family

Play pretend vacation with your children, ask them to pack their favorites in their luggage, then see if how long it takes for them to ask you to carry the luggage.

The 6 year old child might also get tired and ask to be carried as well as the luggage.

Are you sleeping on the trains or using town hotels in the evening and traveling during the day?

If one of you use a locally made health product like a cream, or lip gloss, do pack a small amount of it for the trip.

Let us know how the planning is going.