Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimal packed work trip

From Massachusetts to a two-day seminar in California:
    Wearing a modal tunic, hoodie, blazer, comfy bra, stretchy travel jeans, socks, Converse

Packing: L15
    • Laptop & cables in iberian sz1 SS
    • Pens/pencils in small GWOP (in side pocket)
    • t-shirt, socks, underwear, better bra, leggings to sleep in (with the t-shirt and/or fly home in with tunic) in skinny EC cube.
    • Minimal make up in a Viridian 3DOC
    • Empty Island travel tray for hotel
    • Crocs sandals
    • Tibetan prayer bowl/cushion/mallet (because my job is weird) in ebags cube

Tetris skills really maximize the potential of the L15
    Bottom layer:
    Minimal packed work trip-img_20190429_100053-jpg

Top layer:
    Minimal packed work trip-img_20190429_100110-jpg

Packing in PT:
    • In-flight SE (wipes, meds, phone charger & cables, iPod & cables, mints, lip balm)
    • Toiletries in clear 3DOC
    • Office supplies in medium DOP
    • Noise cancelling headphones
    • Travel mug
    • Wristlet with glasses/keys/phone/wallet

I love that you can pack carefully in the PT, but when you need to dump things in fast, that's also fine.
    Minimal packed work trip-img_20190429_093623-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's amazing! I love how you have made the most of the L15 shape with the long packing cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, after carrying these bags this morning, I've re-organized with the priority on only carrying things I will definitely need en route in the PT. Goal: maximum comfort, with all the weight in the backpack, minimum weight in the tote.

So. My clear 3DOC was all my toiletries, but I took out everything but the liquids so now it's just my 3-1-1 bag, and the non-liquid toiletries go into the Viridian 3DOC along with the make-up, in the mesh middle section of the L15.

Also, I moved my heavy phone re-charging battery to an external pocket on the L15. For daily carry, I want it within easy reach, but for travel, I'll probably only use it when I'm sitting and waiting someplace, so it can go in the backpack.

I took my glasses/ID/credit card out of the wristlet, put the glasses in an external pocket of the PT, ID/cards in my jacket pockets. Then I packed the nearly-empty wristlet in the bottom of the L15.

Also, the medium DOP of post-its and bookmarks went to the L15 behind the top layer.

A few little changes make such a difference in the experience of carrying!
    Last edited by Lia; 04-30-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does EC mean Eagle creek?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Does EC mean Eagle creek?
    usually

The packing cube is the 'tube' version
    https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/pack...c041185#hero=0

I think many of us have EC cubes, often of the 'silnylon'
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a medium tube and a small tube (not the silnylon, but I still like them). They are amongst my packing cube horde.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Eagle Creek. That cube has worked out perfectly for the L15 -- it's such a tall, skinny backpack, this weird shaped cube is ideal! Of course, if you're using the L15 as a travel bag, you're traveling SUPER light, so it's enough for all the clothes. Here's specifically what fit in it:

1 unlined, non-contour underwire bra
    1 sz Medium t-shirt
    1 pair sz Large capri leggings
    2 pairs ankle socks
    3 pairs briefs-style underwear
    1 tibetan bowl mallet

And it was basically full, though maybe you could cram a few more socks/underwear into the corners.

Along with the jeans/tunic/hoodie/jacket I wore on the plane, it's enough clothes for two days.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice compact list! If your t-shirt and leggings are just right, and if you put a bikini in for the bra and one of the underwear, you could also exercise and swim :-) (if you could get a bikini with a top like a sports bra -- are those a thing? if they are I want one!)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Nice compact list! If your t-shirt and leggings are just right, and if you put a bikini in for the bra and one of the underwear, you could also exercise and swim :-) (if you could get a bikini with a top like a sports bra -- are those a thing? if they are I want one!)
    Good idea! Speedo make quite a few swim tops that could probably do this job unless one needs a lot of bounce-proofing.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, bras are like shoes: certain activities require you to have a specific kind. For the sake of minimalism, I just don't do activities that require specialized equipment when I travel.

Also like shoes: I absolutely must have at least two pairs. One on my body and one my bag. But that often feels like a sacrifice, and i've often been really glad to have a third option.

My bikini is made by a bra company, and I have absolutely worn the top as a bra on vacation! I've also been known to pack a sports bra instead of a regular bra, but those soft, wire-free compression bras are useless for me, and good ones that actually do the job are heavier and bulkier than regular bras, and often only work with high necklines or outfits where the seams won't show.... so it's easier and lighter to pack bras that suit whatever shirts I want to wear, and sacrifice the ability to do jumping jacks without crossing my arms. If I end up in a situation where I need to do something high-impact, I wear all three at the same time!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links! I don't personally have a bust that requires extensive support so mine can definitely do dual-duty! And now I have something to look for.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTR, the tibetan prayer bowl got flagged at security at LAX, though not in San Jose or Hartford. Happily, I made sure it was at the top of the bag so it was easy to get to.

But when all the overhead space was gone, I just stuck both L15 and PT under the seat in front of me for the 55 minute hop from SJC to LAX.

Minimal packed work trip-screenshot_20190502-193937-jpg
    Last edited by Lia; 05-02-2019 at 07:43 PM.