Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Maryland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The Scrubba allows me to pack really light and as such is good a space-saving device, not a labor-saving one.
    I've used the Scrubba for 2 months now and second Cristina's findings. I too roll my clothes in a towel before hanging them. Having to spend 30 min. every other night washing clothes before I go to bed is a trade-off I'm willing to make to lighten my load and increase the amount of time I could be away.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Cristina that using the Scrubba is a labor-intensive endeavor. Maybe itís difficult for me because I have tiny hands and wringing out clothing is a chore. When we took the Scrubba on a trip to Helsinki and the Arctic Circle, I totally hated using it but hated rewearing clothing even more. Mr. pammy had to squeeze out my clothing for me which I appreciated, but I swore off using it again. On a two-week trip to Japan, I knew that the hotel we were staying at halfway through our trip had a laundry room. So I only packed one weekís worth of clothing and I was happy to have use of several machines since no other hotel guests needed them. For me, taking extra clothes is worth the weight rather than taking the time and effort to do handwashing. Just my two cents.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use a sink to wash my clothes. I rarely stay anywhere without a sink (not as adventurous as some of you). Probably only camping, and there you are almost EXPECTED to have dirty clothes from hanging out on a dirt pad.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I agree with Cristina that using the Scrubba is a labor-intensive endeavor. Maybe it’s difficult for me because I have tiny hands and wringing out clothing is a chore. When we took the Scrubba on a trip to Helsinki and the Arctic Circle, I totally hated using it but hated rewearing clothing even more. Mr. pammy had to squeeze out my clothing for me which I appreciated, but I swore off using it again. On a two-week trip to Japan, I knew that the hotel we were staying at halfway through our trip had a laundry room. So I only packed one week’s worth of clothing and I was happy to have use of several machines since no other hotel guests needed them. For me, taking extra clothes is worth the weight rather than taking the time and effort to do handwashing. Just my two cents.
    I’m with you - don’t mind washing but don’t want to be doing it more than once a week especially while on holiday!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help - I've tried the backpack frame as suggested and it definitely did help with the A45 being comfortable and I'd happily take that on this trip.....

But I've also just bought an A30 just in case so will do a test pack in the A30 to see how tightly everything fits and then decide which one to take!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I still haven't made my decision yet but I'm leaning towards taking the A30 as it's so nice and neat and compact when fully packed (comes in at 7.5kg including my daily carry stuff). Everything on my list fits snuggly with a little bit of wiggle room but now I'm thinking perhaps I'm taking too much? I'm worried we won't have time to do laundry and have been warned about how humid it is there so I'm probably erring on the side of overpacking rather than under packing but I really don't want to bring home clothes I haven't worn. Any thoughts?

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you run out of clothes and don't want to do washing, one possibility is to buy extra clothes in Japan. Uniqlo is cheap and they have some nice Japanese designs as well as the standard stuff. Last time I was there I bought a t-shirt with a Hokusai print on it. I've also bought dresses and pyjamas there in the past too.

This strategy does depend on size a bit - if you're extra tall or a larger size it may not work. There are also some things where fit is really important eg bras, jeans, so I'd keep it for things which aren't meant to be really fitted.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I just use a sink to wash my clothes. I rarely stay anywhere without a sink (not as adventurous as some of you). Probably only camping, and there you are almost EXPECTED to have dirty clothes from hanging out on a dirt pad.
    Ah, now here is where the Scrubba actually *saves* labor. It's so much easier (especially for those with small or weaker hands) to roll the clothes around in a bag for a couple of minutes. I feel it also gets the clothes cleaner as they rub up against each other more.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 days in Japan (summer) with A45

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    So I still haven't made my decision yet but I'm leaning towards taking the A30 as it's so nice and neat and compact when fully packed (comes in at 7.5kg including my daily carry stuff). Everything on my list fits snuggly with a little bit of wiggle room but now I'm thinking perhaps I'm taking too much? I'm worried we won't have time to do laundry and have been warned about how humid it is there so I'm probably erring on the side of overpacking rather than under packing but I really don't want to bring home clothes I haven't worn. Any thoughts?
    What materials are your clothes made of? Some fibers are more suitable for being worn multiple times in sweaty weather, like linen or merino or blends containing them. If you can get away with just hanging up your tops to air out overnight, you might not need six of them.

Also, can you pack a skirt instead of dresses and wear already packed tops with it?

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sydneygirl, you will be able to solve any issue in Japan. Laundry is a necessary chore on longer trips. There are many approaches including a dedicated bag, sink, ziplocks. Here’s what I learned after decades of bicycle touring: I step into the shower wearing my always synthetic base layer. By the time I have washed my hair and soaped up the nasty bits, underwear is cleaned. Peel off, rinse, hang over the shower door, remove excess water by rolling up ina towel and walking on it, hang to dry over night. You put on damp underwear in the morning and it will dry in a few minutes. It is rare I need to wash outer layers but, eve if you spill a glass of wine on your shorts, laundry is NOT that big a deal.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested, here are some packing photos - as you can see the A30 is comfortably full.

10 days in Japan (summer) with A45-64c01f53-07ed-4dbc-84ce-082841160982-jpeg

10 days in Japan (summer) with A45-7a89322d-e121-4792-912e-db9268cb4d17-jpeg

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice A45. That the one you grabbed off gumtree? Any feedback on how you went with the sale and if all is good with the bag?

I like those idea packing cubes too. Was wondering if the BiG W ones you get would be useful but I already have enough TB cubes now no need for the cheapies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Nice A45. That the one you grabbed off gumtree? Any feedback on how you went with the sale and if all is good with the bag?

I like those idea packing cubes too. Was wondering if the BiG W ones you get would be useful but I already have enough TB cubes now no need for the cheapies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this is the A30 I brought on Gumtree and purchase was great, seller was lovely and showed me the receipt so I could see itís definitely genuine Tom Bihn. Bag is basically brand new, canít even tell itís second hand (shows how good these bags are as itís 4 years old!).

These Ikea packing cubes arenít great but I already had them in pink and blue and they work for separating kids stuff or husband and my stuff but Iíd love the ones designed for the Aeronauts to maximise space use.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am losing my nerve about travelling carry on only! Worried about not having space for buying souvenirs and the bag getting heavy to carry. As my travelling companions are checking in their bags I feel I may as well too. Any thoughts?

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    I am losing my nerve about travelling carry on only! Worried about not having space for buying souvenirs and the bag getting heavy to carry. As my travelling companions are checking in their bags I feel I may as well too. Any thoughts?
    bringing something like an empty zip-top shop bag with you will allow you to go home with more space (but maybe not carry-on only, but since it is the way-to-home is not as strugglish as the way-from-home) :
    1. bring an empty flexible closable bag in your carry-on set-up
    2. if too many souvenirs at the end of the trip, check in the flexible closable bag full of clothes (and fragiles souvenirs in your carry-on)
    Last edited by Rei; 06-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast