Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revised packing list - thoughts on this all fitting in one A45 and one A30?

Me
    7 undies
    6 socks
    2 bras
    5 tops
    2 shorts
    2 jeans
    1 leggings
    2 long sleeved tops
    1 dress
    1 rain jacket
    2 pj singlet tops
    2 pj pants
    1 swimsuit
    1 sneakers
    1 toiletries

Husband

7 undies
    6 t-shirts
    6 socks
    2 shirts
    2 shorts
    1 jeans
    2 pj pants
    1 cashmere jumper
    1 rain jacket
    1 board shorts
    1 boat shoes
    1 baby carrier

Kids x 2
    10 undies
    6 socks
    3 pj's
    2 t-shirts
    1 shorts
    4 long sleeved tops
    3 pants
    1 puffer vest
    1 jumper
    1 raincoat
    1 hat
    1 board shorts
    1 trainers/sandals

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things will fit, imho. But -- shoes, electronics? I would say each of you gets 1.5 packing cubes (one large one end-pocket sized), and each kid gets one (bigger kid's cube for the A45), pack 2 cubes in each main, one end pocket in one end, shoes and cables in the other end, toiletries in the lid. Or, cables in the lid and clear toiletries bag on the end cube. Also, I would only pack one set of PJs, and I might consider not packing a rain jacket and instead taking an umbrella.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I might consider not packing a rain jacket and instead taking an umbrella.
    I believe the rain jackets might have been added because I said upthread (in different words) that you really need to pack a rain jacket when you come to the UK.

I don't think umbrellas are practical for traveling with little kids, nor crowded city streets, especially not when you're dealing with both of those at the same time! One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

Edited to add: plus the rain jacket is another clothing layer when it's July and you're like "but how do they call this summer???"

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Revised packing list - thoughts on this all fitting in one A45 and one A30?

Me
    7undies
    6socks
    2bras
    5tops
    2shorts
    2jeans
    1leggings
    2long sleeved tops
    1dress
    1rain jacket
    2pj singlet tops
    2pj pants
    1swimsuit
    1 sneakers
    1toiletries

Husband

7undies
    6t-shirts
    6socks
    2shirts
    2shorts
    1jeans
    2pj pants
    1cashmere jumper
    1rain jacket
    1board shorts
    1boat shoes
    1baby carrier

Kids x 2
    10undies
    6socks
    3pj's
    2t-shirts
    1shorts
    4long sleeved tops
    3pants
    1puffer vest
    1jumper
    1raincoat
    1hat
    1board shorts
    1trainers/sandals
    That all seems like it will fit.

Do you already have the A45 and A30 or do you have yet to buy them? If you would like to do a test pack and take a pic, we'd love to see it!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I never met a Londoner with a rain jacket (I mean, except a trench coat style one) -- you either just get wet (a common solution) or you have an umbrella. (lived in London for 19 years ...). You would wear one for rambling (hiking) though, or out in the countryside.

More importantly I just wanted to clarify that I use "packing cube" above not necessarily to mean an actual packing cube, but just any container for clothes -- when you share a suitcase with kids it saves a lot of time and cursing if you can confidently identify your clothing and their clothing, in my experience. I like packing cubes for this purpose very much. When travelling alone with my Aeronaut I don't bother.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think my city is that different from any other English City, but plenty of people wear rain jackets, trench and non-trench style, every day. I hope you're passing through my part of the UK on your multi-city holiday, SydneyGirl! It's a beautiful part of the country.

No one will bat an eyelid at an Australian family on holiday wearing rain jackets.

Personally, wanting to fit in and "be a Londoner" is less a priority for me now that I am older, though I certainly grew up with that mentality and I am sympathetic to it. I grew up an hour or two away from New York City. When I was 14 it was the worst thing in the world to be spotted as what I actually was, i.e. Not A New Yorker! Now I realise that who is an "outsider" is subjective and also relative, and are likely to be identified by about 100 other things, and my choice of coat doesn't make a darn bit of difference to anyone.

Well, I never met a Londoner with a rain jacket (I mean, except a trench coat style one) -- you either just get wet (a common solution) or you have an umbrella. (lived in London for 19 years ...). You would wear one for rambling (hiking) though, or out in the countryside.

More importantly I just wanted to clarify that I use "packing cube" above not necessarily to mean an actual packing cube, but just any container for clothes -- when you share a suitcase with kids it saves a lot of time and cursing if you can confidently identify your clothing and their clothing, in my experience. I like packing cubes for this purpose very much. When travelling alone with my Aeronaut I don't bother.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, no I didn't mean you should worry about fitting in, i just meant an umbrella would be ok. Maybe I am raincoat-blind? I honestly don't recall them, and remember be amazed by people's tolerance for just getting damp most of the time, but I am sure you are right.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t worry, we are definitely taking the raincoats! I’m a big fan of them and wear mine heaps here (tried pushing a pram while holding an umbrella and gave up and bought a great raincoat instead).

Thanks for the opinions - I am excited to do a test pack (I’ve got both Aeronauts now), just need to find time...

Regarding shoes, we’ll be wearing our heaviest (boots) and packing only sandals or trainers (yet to decide which is best). Electronics will go in a third bag I think, along with snacks and essentials etc (unless I can squeeze them into one of the aeronauts).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ejvc Ah ok I get what you meant now! I think you and I have a lot in common in terms of where we have lived so I do know what you mean about not remembering people wearing raincoats in London.

When I first landed in the UK from the US, I definitely told my family back home that people in the UK didn't wear raincoats. I spent an afternoon in the shops trying to buy one and I could not find any, maybe because I couldn't find any coats that felt like a raincoat, if you know what I mean?

American raincoats are typically a bit shiny and look waterproof, with Gore Tex, taped seams, etc etc, whereas a lot of UK raincoats have a cottony feel and don't read as waterproof to me. Here's an example of a rain coat popular around here; it's made of waterproofed cotton canvas:
    https://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/wa...ncoat_pear.htm

Of course there is always the outdoorsy rain jacket with all the Gore Tex and taped seams but I didn't know I would need to look in an entirely different type of shop for it, on that day in the shops when I couldn't find a rain coat. One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

Culturally it also seems like a lot of people see a coat as protective enough and don't perceive a need for higher levels of protection against the rain if you're just going from the car to a shop or walking around the corner to do the school drop off. I think that happens in places where it's wet all the time, people just have a higher tolerance for it.

@Sydneygirl sorry for derailing into an analysis of international rain repelling garments. I am happy to know you'll be suitably attired. One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

Oh wow, no I didn't mean you should worry about fitting in, i just meant an umbrella would be ok. Maybe I am raincoat-blind? I honestly don't recall them, and remember be amazed by people's tolerance for just getting damp most of the time, but I am sure you are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, well in that case your second end pocket will have to have shoes. Kids take their own (empty) water bottles, stuffies, and "fun kit" in their backpacks in our family, grownups take food supplies in a fold-up shop bag.

If you will be toting electronics and cables in a separate bag, just... don't bring too many. Those damned things are heavy. When we went to Hawaii I bought each kid their own Kindle Fire with the "unlimited games" subscription for a month. They are pretty inexpensive, lightweight and portable and the kids were delighted. We didn't have to bring heavier gear then except for work, and it kept them from stealing our phones constantly. Also the interface is very controlled. I really don't like how the cheaper Android phones are filled with ads and Google and manufacturer garbage. I paid Amazon $10 each to remove the ads and then they were quite suitable in my view.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice - still tossing up kids having their own bags (backpack or Trunki) - will probably see if our older boy is happy to carry his daycare bag to and from daycare by then and let that dictate what we do.

I’d love advice as to if our packing list is too big/small - ideally we’d get a week of wear before washing.

I agree on the one pjs for adults but my kids eat breakfast in their pjs and often get them very messy. Once again in a years time they may be better so we’ll see.
    Last edited by Sydneygirl; 05-23-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, silly me forgot that you had got the Trunkis. Well, if the kids have a Trunki that all will definitely fit and you will have plenty of room for gifts and souvenirs!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s a photo of my test pack before I changed the list and bought the A30 - I’ve increased the list but have a better bag so I’m hoping the amazing Aeronauts will just swallow everything.

Weight is a concern for me as our planes have a 7kg max limit for carry on - however I figure if the airline do weigh and try to check my bags I can just transfer some into carry ons “for the boys” under their baggage allowance.

One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)-e5b6b6d4-6c33-40d0-9072-4643cbab939b-jpeg

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me your list sounds reasonable for going a week between washes.

Are your clothes quick to dry? Boys pants that are quick-drying and easily packed are the one thing that I struggle to find, at least for those ages.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sydneygirl and @ejvc check this out, it's a scooter suitcase!

https://www.keepemquiet.com/collecti...-ships-10-5-19

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast