Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Sweden
    Posts
    220
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who amongst us does not wish for a scootcase?

    BUT -- the tired child does not want to scoot. It wants to sit. So the Trunki still wins in my book.

    @Sydneygirl, good luck!!!

  2. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @Sydneygirl and @ejvc check this out, it's a scooter suitcase!

    https://www.keepemquiet.com/collecti...-ships-10-5-19
    Wow thatís very cool - but I think Iíll stick with the Trunki just for the weight factor (3.6kg empty sounds heavy for me to inevitably carry.

  3. #33
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    875
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @Sydneygirl and @ejvc check this out, it's a scooter suitcase!

    https://www.keepemquiet.com/collecti...-ships-10-5-19
    I showed that to a friend who works in an airport, and he said that technically it's illegal to ride a scooter or skateboard at the airport! I don't know if that's a national (US) law, or specific to the state he lives in. In any case it may not be relevant to all of you non-US-living people but it's good to have in mind. It looks like it would be a great schoolbag, though!

  4. #34
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any suggestions of best places in Scotland, Ireland and England to visit?

  5. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    207
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions of best places in Scotland, Ireland and England to visit?
    And Wales, don't forget Wales One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions of best places in Scotland, Ireland and England to visit?
    What sort of stuff do you like to do on holiday? What have your favorite holidays involved?

  7. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    And Wales, don't forget Wales One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Yes sorry! Wales too!

  8. #38
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    What sort of stuff do you like to do on holiday? What have your favorite holidays involved?
    We like doing activities that the kids enjoy (if they’re happy then we’re happy) - luckily our kids love exploring new places / museums etc so that kind of thing is what we do. Cities with good playgrounds or parks (nature) are best. We don’t really hike but we like walking. Water is always fun, beach, shore, lake, puddle, anything will do.

    Plus food we love yummy food (nothing too fancy required)

  9. #39
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    109
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure London is on your plan. My favourite suggestion for London, not always on the typical itinerary, is Greenwich with the Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum, Observatory and the Greenwich meridian, all set around a large park with lovely views overlooking the river Thames.

  10. #40
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    875
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if you do go to London and if you're in the mood for an odd museum, I recommend Sir John Soane's museum (and the cafe in the park across the street had tasty food). The museum is crammed with things an 18th- & 19th-century architect found interesting.

    When I went there with my family I was in a wheelchair due to an injury. The museum has an unusual way to manage wheelchair accessibility: some of the main passages are too narrow for a standard wheelchair, but due to the terms under which Soane left the house to be a museum they can't make alterations, so they had their own wheelchairs made that are narrow enough to fit the house. Unlike with a normal wheelchair there's no mechanism for one to propel oneself, so they supply a staff member to push the wheelchair and operate the tiny private elevator--we ended up getting what was effectively a private tour of the museum. Overall it was an odd but a very good experience. (They do ask that one call or email in advance to make arrangements if one is going to need one of their wheelchairs, but I didn't know to do that and they made it work anyway.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

    I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

  11. #41
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    One family and Two Aeronauts (A45 and A30)

    Yeah my kids are little so I get that. I can point you to playgrounds in Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Sheffield, and Bakewell.

    Glasgow is a big city with loads to do for the whole family, there's the Glasgow Science Centre, the People's Palace, the Transport Museum, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, a Tall Ship, and others. Glasgow Film Theatre is a great arthouse cinema for rainy days. Loads of great restaurants and cafes. It is also very close to open countryside. Loch Lomond is less than an hour away and a 1-2 hour drive through Argyll will show you some gorgeous Scottish scenery. There are boat tours on the Waverley Paddle Steamer along the Clyde and you can disembark in Argyll. Glasgow is wet with highly variable weather.

    Edinburgh is gorgeous and there are tons of museums here, but don't ever visit Edinburgh in August unless you are here to see the Fringe festival because you'll never find a place to stay at a decent price and it will be crowded. There's Edinburgh Castle of course and loads of walking tours, ghost tours, etc. There is a playground at the bottom of Princes Street Gardens but I find Edinburgh slightly challenging in terms of finding stuff for little kids to do. Slightly older kids who are into history and culture and museums would love it though. Edinburgh is also wet with highly variable weather.

    York has lots of Roman history, York Minster, the Viking Centre, a Castle Museum, the National Railway Museum is here and there are at least two big parks (one with a playground, the other with ruins of a Norman buildilng). There are river tours.

    Sheffield has a surprising amount of stuff appropriate for little kids even in the city centre. There's the Millenium Gallery (which is small but has a small hands-on area for kids), Weston Park Museum which has several hands on areas for kids and also is in a lovely park, though the playground is in another park behind it (Sheffield likes to keep things hidden). The Peace Gardens have fountains which kids love to play in, and there are several parks and even woodlands around the city. Sheffield is right on the doorstep of the Peaks (that's why it is so hilly) and from Sheffield you can take a bus or train out to Peak District towns and villages like Castleton, Bakewell, Matlock, Hathersage, etc where there are lots of walking trails into the countryside.

    Bakewell is a small town in the Peak District and there is a playground with a small water area, lovely cafes and a river. There isn't much to do in Bakewell but it's very relaxing.

    I don't know of a playground in Manchester however there is a free bus that takes you around the center of town, and also there is a big museum of Science and Industry there, and other big city stuff. Not as familiar but I always find Manchester has really interesting buildings.

    I hope you find some of this useful! I'll have to think a bit harder about water-specific places, though there is a beach on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    We like doing activities that the kids enjoy (if theyíre happy then weíre happy) - luckily our kids love exploring new places / museums etc so that kind of thing is what we do. Cities with good playgrounds or parks (nature) are best. We donít really hike but we like walking. Water is always fun, beach, shore, lake, puddle, anything will do.

    Plus food we love yummy food (nothing too fancy required)
    Last edited by Cristina; 06-24-2019 at 02:55 PM.

  12. #42
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    I am sure London is on your plan. My favourite suggestion for London, not always on the typical itinerary, is Greenwich with the Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum, Observatory and the Greenwich meridian, all set around a large park with lovely views overlooking the river Thames.
    Thanks! That sounds great, my husband is a sailor so will definitely be keen for all that.

  13. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yeah my kids are little so I get that. I can point you to playgrounds in Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Sheffield, and Bakewell.

    Glasgow is a big city with loads to do for the whole family, there's the Glasgow Science Centre, the People's Palace, the Transport Museum, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, a Tall Ship, and others. Glasgow Film Theatre is a great arthouse cinema for rainy days. Loads of great restaurants and cafes. It is also very close to open countryside. Loch Lomond is less than an hour away and a 1-2 hour drive through Argyll will show you some gorgeous Scottish scenery. There are boat tours on the Waverley Paddle Steamer along the Clyde and you can disembark in Argyll. Glasgow is wet with highly variable weather.

    Edinburgh is gorgeous and there are tons of museums here, but don't ever visit Edinburgh in August unless you are here to see the Fringe festival because you'll never find a place to stay at a decent price and it will be crowded. There's Edinburgh Castle of course and loads of walking tours, ghost tours, etc. There is a playground at the bottom of Princes Street Gardens but I find Edinburgh slightly challenging in terms of finding stuff for little kids to do. Slightly older kids who are into history and culture and museums would love it though. Edinburgh is also wet with highly variable weather.

    York has lots of Roman history, York Minster, the Viking Centre, a Castle Museum, the National Railway Museum is here and there are at least two big parks (one with a playground, the other with ruins of a Norman buildilng). There are river tours.

    Sheffield has a surprising amount of stuff appropriate for little kids even in the city centre. There's the Millenium Gallery (which is small but has a small hands-on area for kids), Weston Park Museum which has several hands on areas for kids and also is in a lovely park, though the playground is in another park behind it (Sheffield likes to keep things hidden). The Peace Gardens have fountains which kids love to play in, and there are several parks and even woodlands around the city. Sheffield is right on the doorstep of the Peaks (that's why it is so hilly) and from Sheffield you can take a bus or train out to Peak District towns and villages like Castleton, Bakewell, Matlock, Hathersage, etc where there are lots of walking trails into the countryside.

    Bakewell is a small town in the Peak District and there is a playground with a small water area, lovely cafes and a river. There isn't much to do in Bakewell but it's very relaxing.

    I don't know of a playground in Manchester however there is a free bus that takes you around the center of town, and also there is a big museum of Science and Industry there, and other big city stuff. Not as familiar but I always find Manchester has really interesting buildings.

    I hope you find some of this useful! I'll have to think a bit harder about water-specific places, though there is a beach on the outskirts of Edinburgh.
    Thanks so much - I've added this into my trip planning stuff. It's great to know what cities to visit with kids of a certain age and which to leave til next trip

  14. #44
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more question - what shoes should we bring? Are sandals too optimistic?

    I was thinking boots for all the wet/mud but can’t decide if second pair should be converse type sneakers or sandals.

  15. #45
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    One more question - what shoes should we bring? Are sandals too optimistic?

    I was thinking boots for all the wet/mud but canít decide if second pair should be converse type sneakers or sandals.
    I am struggling with this exact thing right now for a trip to Scotland at the end of August.

    I know from previous years that wellies are required, and we are also going to the beach so we also need the water shoes, but does that mean that we can't pack their comfy trainers?

    It is a multi-stop trip so I want to pack light, but the shoes and variable weather are driving me batty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •