Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India for a month

Ive booked flights to India - and now feeling nervous about what I need to pack etc.

Im female, never been to India before and will be be taking hand luggage only.
    This wouldn’t be a problem as Im flying Etihad - however, due to internal flights I will be limited to 7 kg’s.

I haven’t started packing as yet, as when I start it tends to take over, and work and visa has been taking up my time recently.
    Any suggestions, would be welcome as feeling nervous traveling to India by myself.
    I travel pretty low key, when it comes to clothing, if I need anything I can buy it out there I guess.
    I would like to think I could take a half empty S19, but in practise I doubt that would happen.
    So Im hoping to take a half empty S25.

Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    Ive booked flights to India - and now feeling nervous about what I need to pack etc.

Im female, never been to India before and will be be taking hand luggage only.
    This wouldn’t be a problem as Im flying Etihad - however, due to internal flights I will be limited to 7 kg’s.

I haven’t started packing as yet, as when I start it tends to take over, and work and visa has been taking up my time recently.
    Any suggestions, would be welcome as feeling nervous traveling to India by myself.
    I travel pretty low key, when it comes to clothing, if I need anything I can buy it out there I guess.
    I would like to think I could take a half empty S19, but in practise I doubt that would happen.
    So Im hoping to take a half empty S25.

Thanks
    Jaffa
    I'm so interested to read the replies because I have never traveled to India.

What makes you the most nervous about it?

Packing-wise, I can imagine that you may want to look into health type things. There may be certain over the counter medicines you might want to have on hand, for instance. I am only guessing. I think what made me think of it was seeing some specialized first aid kits for tropical countries.

I have also heard that women traveling alone often wear plain rings that look like wedding bands so as to try and minimize unwanted attention.

You know, this is one area where those YouTube one baggers have something to offer. I often complain that they only travel to hot places. Well, India is a hot place! India for a month

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you going? India has drastic changes in climate. Just staying in a few cities like Mumbai and Chennai etc? If so just light cotton loose fitting clothing I would imagine. Long sleeve and full length pants would be advisable. Take maybe 4 pairs of clothes. And take medication. Take Imodium or whatever you’d normally use. Charcoal tablets work well. Paracetamol ibuprofen etc as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India for a month

Light cotton, non revealing clothing.
    If you have traveled to Thailand before and are headed to a yoga retreat. You are well versed in travel and will enjoy India.

Last edited by Flowerchild81; 05-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Im flying into Cochin, staying at a yoga retreat for 2 weeks, then flying up to Goa, onto a second Yoga retreat. Ive emailed both places, saying Im nervous about travelling by myself. (This isn’t normally a problem, but I know travelling as a female and especially when its dark is not safe). Both places are organising transfers from/to the airport.
    Ive just got my visa (what a pain that was), however it was quick. I have started looking at clothes I have already, to see what is suitable, apart from yoga stuff of course!. Im looking at loose fitting clothing, natural materials to keep cool and loose fitting tops that are past hip length. I will look for charcoal tablets. I will be eating vegetarian/vegan foods, and also taking cookery classes which should be interesting (I avoid cooking if I can). I know it will be hot, and low season, probably hitting monsoon season as well, but Im used to rain, and hopefully where I am staying they will be used to it.
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason I booked India was for the Yoga and to experience another country, I could have easily have gone back to Thailand.
    India will be out of my comfort zone, and even though Im staying at 2 retreats, Im hoping to get out and about with others I meet.
    Jaffa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello Jaffa: I am from India. Cochin is quite safe, esp if you are at a Yoga retreat. And so should Goa. I am from the south of India, so know more about that. Clothes: I really would go there and buy "salwars" or cotton drawstring pants; and get a few Kurtas there. You can't beat them. They are light, airy, woven; will wash and dry well for the climate there. Knitted clothing is too hot.
    I would take sunscreen; some basic medicines that you are used to. Other than that, most medicines are available in India quite easily.
    Mostly, you just have to be careful about Water: use bottled water for everything. Don't eat CUT fruit (just fruit that you can peel); and avoid ICE. You can ask for chilled drinks, but don't ask for ICE since you don't know the water.
    If you are staying in one of the fancier Yoga retreat spaces, it should not be a problem. Even though I am from there, I do have to be careful about water too! We all drink TEA: counter-intuitive, but hot drinks do keep you cooler! Enjoy your trip..but clothing is easy to buy there, and much better than taking yoga pants from here!
    shiva

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Jaffa!

I would echo what @Shiva said.

I'll add a couple of thoughts -- if I'm staying at a hotel, or a place I go to regularly and trust, I will use tap water when I brush my teeth -- I was born in India and lived there the first 6 years. But my friends who were born here use bottled water even for brushing their teeth. It may seem silly, but stick to bottled water even when you're brushing your teeth. Also make sure that the bottle has its seal in tact when you first open a new one. Stay hydrated!

Tea is generally prepared with cardamon in the warmer time of year, and helps to have a cooling effect. In the winter months, ginger is added to the tea to help provide a warming effect (I still also add cardamon in the winter months because it adds such a wonderful flavor).

I'm excited to hear about your travels!
    -m

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im looking at loose linen type clothing, to take with me and just some old sketchers (Im not bothered if they get dirty/ruined), and flip flop type rubber shoes.
    I will probably start taking stuff out of my wardrobe this weekend and think about lists (sad I know) and take over a spare bed in the next week, so will post lists of what Im taking for fine tuning.
    Im happy to try the food/drink, All just part of the adventure.
    Jaffa

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got sunscreen, and some Mozzi stuff, but I will be limited to my 3-1-1 bag, due to internal flights. So might have to see what fits and take it from there.
    I have a folding water bottle, so will take that with me, but it will only be for when Im travelling around.
    Jaffa

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For mozzie spray I’d buy some there to be honest. They have lots of stuff. Mind you a lot of it is rather strong smelling somif that’s a problem for you then take your own, but otherwise I found the stuff available in Chennai and Mumbai and Kerala was plenty enough and worked well.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s my packing list so far:-
    3 x trousers (lightweight/linen)
    2 x dresses (linen)
    I pr yoga capris
    3 x strappy bra yoga tops
    3 x vest type tops, 1 to sleep in and others to use over yoga bra tops
    1 x black lightweight cover up t shirt for general use or yoga
    1 x blue cotton ss shirt
    2 x cover ups/sarong types ( 1 grey, 1 multi colored)
    3 x socks
    3 x underwear
    1 x bra
    2 x bikinis
    1 x silk/cotton scarf for around head/shoulders - multi colored
    1 x linen open jacket
    2 x shoes, 1 grey sketchers, 1 pair rubber type flip flops
    Meds
    3-1-1 bag
    Small sea to summit rack sac (fits into palm of hand)
    Others :- iPhone/lead and adaptor/mini tripod/book, roll up water bottle with filter

I will post pics later.

The clothes I am traveling in are included above, grey linen trousers, vest top, blue hooded top (Rohan anti bite technology), open linen jacket, grey sketchers,

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only doubts I have re the packing list..
    Is do I need another layer to travel in (I’m considering a lightweight.sheer long merino open cardigan,
    Also taking a lightweight Rohan raincoat that isn’t much larger than my palm (no hood), this is more for over here in case it rains.
    I’m hoping to be undercover when it rains in India.
    Have I missed anything?, as Ive never been to India before, I tend staying at the yoga retreats mainly, one of which has a pool.

Jaffa

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds amazing! I wish I had as much linen in my wardrobe as you -- cotton = swamp, and I'm gradually weeding it out entirely. The difficulty is that I never want to wear my cotton clothes, so I'm not wearing them out, so they don't need to replaced... Catch 22...

If it were my list, I'd trade the third pair of trousers for the rain jacket. I might also take one dedicated swimwear sarong, then a second scarf-like thing that's a wrap or head cover or bathing suit cover up.

A colleague of mine went to India for a yoga retreat and academic conference, and was told over and over how dangerous it is for women traveling alone there, but she was fine and never felt unsafe.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - Ive started packing - and included a Rohan lightweight raincoat (with hood), linen shorts bought today, guessed they should be ok for wearing around the retreat if not in general public areas.
    I didnt have a lot of linen clothing, but have gradually been buying items over the last few weeks. It’s all pretty cheap (I tend to try and buy from nearly new & charity shops for holiday shopping), if any of the clothing doesn’t really work for me then I will just leave it and wont bring it back.A few of the cover ups are quite large so can use them to cover shoulders or swimming cover up.
    Im still unsure as to which plug converter to use in India, not sure if its 2 round pins as in Asia or 3 round pins!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast