Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimergency Kits

There's a company called Pinch Provisions that sells "minimergency" kits. They contain things like hair ties, lip balm, stain remover wipes, band-aids, tampons, and pain relievers. So kind of like a first aid kit, but not just for medical issues and not for real emergencies, but more for common unexpected little situations.

Instead of buying a pre-made kit, I think the DIY route probably makes more sense for most people since you know what you might need. I have a mini clear organizer pouch with hair ties, some medicines, nail clippers, and a small mirror. Instead of packing it with things I think I might need, I've been slowly adding things over time whenever I've found I wished I had something.

What's in your minimergency kit? What kind of bag or pouch do you keep it in? Photos welcome!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fabric 3DOC that I leave packed with a variety of random things and its usually in the bottom/chin pocket of my S19... a slightly smaller version of this kit is in a small (the larger size) Q-Kit... the sporks I have don't fit in the Q-kit though

It generally contains:
    -moleskin, bandaids, motrin, dramamine, lip goo
    -mini toothbrush
    -spork
    -eyeglass cloth
    -small folded baggu nylon shop bag
    -kleenex
    -quart freezer ziplock
    -tiny moleskine notebook (I think it's about 2.5 x 4")
    -pen/pencil
    -mini sharpy
    -tiny pouch with quarters
    -tiny post it notes
    -old film canister with sewing kit
    -folded bandana

and other random stuff as needed...

I have an emergency whistle & an aluminum bottle opener on my keychain... and usually have a second set clipped into each backpack. For things like that which are relatively cheap, I would just rather have duplicate sets in every bag, so I'm not missing or moving them around.

Since 9/11, I no longer routinely travel with a pocket knife or multitool. I'll bring one if I know I'm definitely not flying and it will be useful (camping, hostels, weird car trips where you're spontaneously picnic lunching out of a grocery store, etc).

I like the idea of the TB First & Second Aid pouches, but I already have all these other OPs, so that's what I use. I did pick up small Ghost Whales in Mars Red to see if they'd make good mini first aid kits to leave in my travel bags.... haven't packed them up yet to test though.

ETA, @sturbridge's list reminded me, I always have foam earplugs in my kit and I have one of those super mini rolls of duct tape in a tiny ziplock (keeps it from drying out)
    Last edited by G42; 05-26-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my "makeup" pouch is my actual mini-emergency kit :
    - 1 lipstick
    - 1 eye pencil (which is almost never used nowadays)
    - 1 mirror
    - 1 balm
    - (sometimes) 1 hairband
    - band-aids
    - 1 (washable) wipe
    - 1 (washable) pad
    inside a small (Iberian) Halcyon pouch

my eyeglass cloth is inside a pocket pouch
    just a Bihnion here

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my- this topic is my obsession!

I've been doing this forever- it started out with a "festival" kit, it was items for a day out that would make life more comfortable at a music event: elastic and bobby pins, earplugs, hand wipe, tweezers (for ticks), nail file, toothpicks, aspirin, duct tape and safety pins.

It then morphed into different kits for different things and after a while it got complicated, I had so many kits and didn't know what items was in which one or I had multiple kits with me but not the one I needed.

So I've simplifed (for me- this will probably be too much for others). Ghost whales and cubelets have been great for this.

- I have a personal eating kit which has utensils, salt and pepper, a couple of spices, a small bandana, a hand wipe, tooth wipe, toothpicks and a swiss army knife in a small Ghost Whale.
    - I have my everyday purse items in a mini mesh Ghost Whale - chapsticks, toothpicks, lotion bar, glasses wipe, hand wipe, band aid, ibuprofen.
    - I have a toolkit/supplies (aka MacGuyver kit) in a mini Ghost Whale (stuff like wire, binder clip, survival card)
    - I have a cubelet as a supersize everyday item kit that also has a travel towel, compressed towels with a small (1 ounce) water bottle, and some additional comfort items.
    - I also have a cubelet for my portable kitchen with oil, vinegar and spices. This lives in my Truck which is my road trip bag.
    - I have a cubelet with stuff I only use on hikes in the woods with bug repellant, compass and the like.
    - I have a mini Qkit with a portable battery and cords.
    - I have a mini Ghost Whale with some emergency snacks. I have a larger non-TB container if my husband is coming along.

I have all these kits (other than the one that lives in the Truck) in a basket on a shelf. I pick and choose for the particular outing. My current EDC bag is a Dawn zip top tote, in the bottom of the bag I have a sandwich wrap from Planet Wise which serves as an eating surface with a cut down plastic cutting board, and a couple of fold up cushions (mostly for wet or icky picnic tables).
    -
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Oh my- this topic is my obsession!

I've been doing this forever- it started out with a "festival" kit, it was items for a day out that would make life more comfortable at a music event: elastic and bobby pins, earplugs, hand wipe, tweezers (for ticks), nail file, toothpicks, aspirin, duct tape and safety pins.

It then morphed into different kits for different things and after a while it got complicated, I had so many kits and didn't know what items was in which one or I had multiple kits with me but not the one I needed.

So I've simplifed (for me- this will probably be too much for others). Ghost whales and cubelets have been great for this.

- I have a personal eating kit which has utensils, salt and pepper, a couple of spices, a small bandana, a hand wipe, tooth wipe, toothpicks and a swiss army knife in a small Ghost Whale.
    - I have my everyday purse items in a mini mesh Ghost Whale - chapsticks, toothpicks, lotion bar, glasses wipe, hand wipe, band aid, ibuprofen.
    - I have a toolkit/supplies (aka MacGuyver kit) in a mini Ghost Whale (stuff like wire, binder clip, survival card)
    - I have a cubelet as a supersize everyday item kit that also has a travel towel, compressed towels with a small (1 ounce) water bottle, and some additional comfort items.
    - I also have a cubelet for my portable kitchen with oil, vinegar and spices. This lives in my Truck which is my road trip bag.
    - I have a cubelet with stuff I only use on hikes in the woods with bug repellant, compass and the like.
    - I have a mini Qkit with a portable battery and cords.
    - I have a mini Ghost Whale with some emergency snacks. I have a larger non-TB container if my husband is coming along.

I have all these kits (other than the one that lives in the Truck) in a basket on a shelf. I pick and choose for the particular outing. My current EDC bag is a Dawn zip top tote, in the bottom of the bag I have a sandwich wrap from Planet Wise which serves as an eating surface with a cut down plastic cutting board, and a couple of fold up cushions (mostly for wet or icky picnic tables).
    -
    It sounds like you and I have similar approaches to organization. Have you ever tried the Parental Unit? 12 pockets in all! You can put four of those kits along each side of the bag and then have the main compartment free for your lunch or jacket or whatever.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have a Parental Unit for a while, but eventually traded it for a Pilot. Because its symmetrical, I was always opening the pocket on the wrong side when I was looking for something. I do better with big open spaces and tethered containers.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I did have a Parental Unit for a while, but eventually traded it for a Pilot. Because its symmetrical, I was always opening the pocket on the wrong side when I was looking for something. I do better with big open spaces and tethered containers.
    That makes sense. I like that approach for non-EDC travel organization.

Top tip for anyone with a Parental Unit: put different colored zipper pulls on each side of the bag so you can easily tell which is which.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kits are:
    -- sewing kit in a teeny mini ziplock bag -- a bit of felt with three needles, a thimble, a thread braid (the kind with precut lengths in many colours), two safety pins, some buttons, some o-rings, and two dull, large eyed needles (i.e. for yarn). One would be enough I guess but I might lose it. I also keep a thumbtack in this kit, because actually a common use for it is me binding books on-the-go for entertaining the kids, and the thumbtack serves as an awl. The buttons also serve as game pieces when necessary. And the thumbtacks can pin down a safety pin to use as a spinner for games (like: spin to draw a monster; spin to do silly things; spin to choose a theme for drawing; etc) My tiny kit lives in my pencil case! In addition to bookbinding and games I used it to stitch up an emergency split in the back of my jeans so it also fulfils its chosen function :-) What's missing are small scissors and some bits of elastic.

-- everyday pencil case: pencil, leads, big eraser, glue stick, multi-pen, writing pen, ruler, sewing kit
    -- drawing pencil case: 12 coloured aquarelle pencils, watercolour case, short watercolour brushes, permanent black pen, permanent black brush pen, small bottle of water.
    -- ouch pouch: band aids, tweezers, alcohol wipes, tea tree oil for burns, nail clippers, anti-itch ointment, antibacterial ointment, tick removal tool.
    -- travel pouch: one-third of an A4 paper in size, clear zip pouch with all our passports and european health insurance cards.
    -- travel docs pouch: half an A4, clear zip pouch, holds paper tickets, hotel reservations, that sort of thing
    -- lunch roll: straw, knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks and cloth napkin, rolled together. Can be a picnic roll if put inside a cup thermos; both live inside a bowl, the whole thing in a drawstring bag or stuff sack. Sometimes the lunch roll also holds a sharp knife. Food and spices live in the food bag.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small ish (approx 4 x 3 inch black IKEA organizer bag, that I hold a variety of useful items:
    Comb, mini space type pen, small pad, lip balm, nail file in its own plastic holder, small hand cream, spare note (ten pounds).
    It contains a small TB zipped pouch of various pain relief tabs/Imodium plus etc, mini tie wraps, plasters and an alcohol wipe.
    Few tea bags individual wrapped
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y’all I need pictures of all these fabulous kits! Please post!

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My EDC mini kits are likely maximalist for lots of folks in this forum. Since I commute by public transit 1hr 15min each way there's no car to stash things in.

I use a travel cubelet to corral 3 mini kits in whatever bag I am carrying:

Dawn Cubelet
    - glass nail file
    - pen
    - travel inhaler spacer
    - emergency feminine supplies
    - glasses lens cloth
    - lip balm

Mesh Small Ghost Whale
    - spare battery
    - charging cables
    - musicians earplugs

Dawn Mini Ghost Whale
    - blister pack of pain killers
    - blister pack of heartburn chews
    - assorted plasters/bandaids
    - cough drops
    - olbas oil inhaler

Viridian Small Ghost Whale
    - asthma inhaler
    - hand sanitiser
    - granola bar
    - nail clippers

I'd love to be able to run around with a super small EDC, but I've found I feel unprepared with a bag holding anything less than 8L. Water, a scarf, space for an extra small shop bag are essential for my day-to-day life.
    Last edited by sageeyes; 06-09-2019 at 02:56 AM.
    Longing for the return of Forest/Conifer...