Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best Travel tips in Europe?

Hello,next month i have travel in Europe to spend summer holidays with my friends this is my first experience to going outside but i have no about best destinations in Europe so anyone suggestion me the destinations and travel tips in Europe, thanks! i will be waiting for your response.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Tom Bihn forums. As Europe is so large and diverse, your question is almost impossible to constructively answer...

What are you interested in seeing or doing? What is your budget and timescale. Where are you from, to understand what you might appreciate as differences? Are you looking to be on the move and see a bit of everything, or to spend some time in a few key destinations? What do you already have planned, such as start and finishing flights, to give ideas of what could perhaps fit in?

If you can narrow down or focus on some ideas then I am sure that forum members can make helpful suggestions.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without more details I can only offer two pieces of hard-won wisdom from my own travels:

- In group trips, don't be afraid to carve time out for yourself, whether it's you doing something solo, or steering others into doing something you can't miss.

- Bring as little as you possibly can, because toting around heavy luggage gets old and tiresome fast.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @dealsnado

As folks have mentioned above, your request - whilst fun - is a bit too broad. I think we'd tell you to do EVERYTHING, which isn't very practical.

If there's specific things you like to do, countries you will be in or want to visit, that would help.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Europe is awesome, the people are super friendly and helpful. I would, however, recommend you read up on the scams in Europe, we definitely came across some, but since we had read up on it, we were able to steer clear of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is your first trip abroad you'll learn a lot about what you do and don't like in a trip that you might not know yet. Also, other people in your group will have different preferences so I would aim for a mix of solitary and group activities, and also try to vary the stuff you're planning to see.

Some people will love world-famous art and history museums but others might prefer to experience a city like a local and go to local music, art, or food festivals.

General European tips:

-You'll need comfortable walking shoes and a bag you can carry up and down steps and also across uneven or cobbled streets.

-On many European public transit systems you have to buy your ticket before boarding and someone may or may not come round to check it (but you can be fined for not having a ticket so do buy one).

-Stores close early compared to the US and pharmacies don't sell as much over the counter as you may be used to.

As you start to plan more about your trip please post again and we would be delighted to help with your specific destinations or countries or luggage or other needs. Good luck!!

London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing I always tell people now is where ever you travel in Europe, make sure you keep 1-2 pieces of each coin denomination in the local currency on your person.

Yes, it adds weight, but when you are in a public area and you'd like to use the restroom/washroom/toilet/etc, often there is a small charge for this, especially in train stations. It is better to make sure you've got some loose change on you, as the turnstiles they use to control entry often need the exact amount!
    Longing for the return of Forest/Conifer...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend 6-8 months a year in Europe. For the first timer, I will make two suggestions:

1) Go to the Rick Steves Travel Forum that specializes in European travel. You can yet any question answered by lots of experienced travelers and local residents.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum

2) If you have time, get a copy of Rick Steves "Europe through the Back Door". It is a guide for first time European travelers.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    The Netherlands
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I spend 6-8 months a year in Europe. For the first timer, I will make two suggestions:

1) Go to the Rick Steves Travel Forum that specializes in European travel. You can yet any question answered by lots of experienced travelers and local residents.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum

2) If you have time, get a copy of Rick Steves "Europe through the Back Door". It is a guide for first time European travelers.

I also loved the Rick Steves audiotours when I was in Florence, Siena and Venice last year! They're kind of cheesy but in a fun way, and super informative!

Overall Europe tip: wear layers! This is coming from someone in the Netherlands, mind, but summer weather can be unpredictable depending on where you are. Last year, the Netherlands had uncommonly warm weather, but the year before we had super changeable weather. Bring layers so you can adapt your clothing.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Europe is a big place and before I suggest any destinations, it would be helpful to know your interests. Here are a few questions for you.

How many days will you be traveling?
    What is your budget?
    What type of lodging do you prefer? Hotel, Bed & Breakfast, Hostel, Camping Barn, Camping, Air B&B, etc.
    What will your mode of transportation be? Plane, train, rental car, local public transportation?
    What do you want to see?
    What do you want to do?
    What are your interests?

Once we have your answers to these questions, we will be better able to assist. elisa

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    1) Go to the Rick Steves Travel Forum that specializes in European travel.
    I can't speak highly enough of the resources at Rick Steves. Seriously -- between his travel guide books, website, and traveler-submitted tips, you really can't go wrong He also has audio guided tours you can download and listen to while you visit places. Most recently when we went to England to run the London Marathon, we spent a delightful afternoon visiting the British Museum using his audio guide walking tour of the place. It was like having your own personal guide.

Seriously. I would pore through everything over at Rick Steves. The ONLY thing I'd say, is once you're read to buy your bags, instead of buying his, come here to buy TB gear (I'm partial that way). But really. You can get EVERYTHING you want to learn from his site.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaH82 View Post
    Overall Europe tip: wear layers!
    Another vote for layers. And this actually allows you pack fewer things; I realize that sounds counterintuitive, but the idea is that you can mix and match based on your weather needs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Seriously. I would pore through everything over at Rick Steves. The ONLY thing I'd say, is once you're read to buy your bags, instead of buying his, come here to buy TB gear (I'm partial that way).
    Lani is wise. I have at different times owned most of the bags offered at Rick Steves. They do not come close to Tom Bihn in quality and durability. I no longer buy anything from Rick Steves. But my personal item is from Tom Bihn--the Pilot. It has been my choice for over two years and I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    The Netherlands
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Another vote for layers. And this actually allows you pack fewer things; I realize that sounds counterintuitive, but the idea is that you can mix and match based on your weather needs.
    Yep! Bring four shirts - two longsleeves, two short sleeves - and four 'bottoms' - two pairs of pants, two skirts - and you have like sixteen outfits you can make. One or two scarves in matching colours and a vest/cardigan and you get even more options.

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To avoid repeating all the great advice above:

1. don't try to do it all (just plan on going back)
    2. get enough sleep--if you want to remember anything

and 3: use your street smarts, just like you would in any big city/strange place. Especially, don't leave your stuff unattended, or even out of reach (this is the number one problem when I take groups abroad)

oh yeah: have a great time, and tell us all how it was when you get back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast