Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how and when to overpack

Help me overpack!

How overpacked is too overpacked? Do you have limits or guidelines for road trips and comfy lodgings when space and weight don't matter?

I'm going on a five day beach vacation -- driving about two hours to a New England beach, staying in a fancy resort hotel with free laundry facilities and a kitchen in my suite, two minute walk to the beach, lots of potential activities like shuffleboard, bird watching, sailing, pool lounging/swimming, working out at the hotel gym... I'm very excited, and already making my packing list.

My default minimal packing list would work fine, but... I kinda want to overpack! There's no external limitation or restriction. Just my own sense that overpacking is bad. But how bad is it really?

For example, shoes. I'm so confused about shoes for this trip. My usual three are sneakers, Crocs sandals I wear as slippers or to run errands etc., and work shoes like flats or boots depending on the season. The only shoes I know I will definitely need for this trip are:

• beach flip flops
    • sparkly out-to-dinner sandals

But I can't make myself delete these from my list:
    • leather sandals I can't wear on the beach? (I have no plans to leave the beach except for one nice dinner out, but these are the shoes I usually wear all summer in my normal life, so it feels weird not to include them)
    • sneakers? (in case it rains and I end up going into town instead of the beach? Will I need them for non-beach activities? Also, sneakers are on my always-pack list for my usual kind of travel, but this trip is very different from my normal work travel!)
    • Chacos waterproof sandals? (they are clunky and heavy but I can wear them in the ocean and they stay strapped to my feet.)

I should just bring all five, right? There's no down side to packing them. But even just the idea of five pairs of shoes for a five day trip makes my brain turn inside out. Help!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely need sneakers or some other closed toe shoe with our cold wet weather this spring, or you'll just freeze. Leather sandals- maybe I could see if you decide to go out for lunch (but why wouldn't you just wear the flip flops). Waterproof sandals? Are you REALLY going to go into a New England ocean this time of year-- its COLD!

But bottom line, if you want them, and space is not a constraint, then go ahead.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should pack all five. Treat it like a rare indulgence if it helps. If that doesn't help, treat it like a fact finding mission where you want to know what works best for next time how and when to overpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are driving and have the space why does it matter how much you bring?

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree, I pack only a single backpack for anything from a weekend to several weeks travel, but when it comes to a beach or poolside vacation I indulge. I usually end up packing the backpack and a tote bag, plus various beach accoutrements. Go ahead and allow yourself the extras!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    You definitely need sneakers or some other closed toe shoe with our cold wet weather this spring, or you'll just freeze...

I am PRAYING the weather makes a sudden, drastic change to become a warm sunny paradise. I planned this vacation eight months ago and I never imagined June wouldn't be bustin out all over. ☹️

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your vacation sounds fabulous! I'm crossing my fingers for the weather to catch up with the season.

I'm only overpacked when I can't manage what I brought. Or I don't feel like managing it. Besides, it's not the end of the world when I pack too much. All those shoes will make you happy, plus you have the space, so bring them.

When I do bring extras, I pack them where they could live untouched, like the bottom of my bags. That prevents re-packing what I didn't use. Or I pack it separately and leave it in the car until needed.

BTW I absolutely bring 5 pair of shoes when I drive to my ocean-side vacation, and Chacos are one of them. They're my favorite beach sandals. In fact, I was just walking York beach in them this past weekend.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 05-31-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just completed packing for the beach (by car) and I have four pairs of shoes going: Supergas to drive in/wear around, thong sandals to wear as slippers/wear around, Keen sandals for the beach and older Brooks athletic shoes for walking.

Clothes/shoes are in my original Nordic Tristar, beach towels/bathing suits in a PCSB/Keens are in a monarch LSB, another island LSB has some food stuff I'm taking (I'm the only coffee drinker) and my original Nordic Pilot contains my technology/entertainment things. I pack my toiletries in a small insulated backpack to keep cool if I leave them in the car for lunch on the drive or an impromptu stop and I can use the backpack to carry on the beach too.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    When I do bring extras, I pack them where they could live untouched, like the bottom of my bags. That prevents re-packing what I didn't use. Or I pack it separately and leave it in the car until needed.

Oooohhhh, good idea. I'm totally gonna use this!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Why have I not thought of this before? Defo keeping that in mind the next holiday we get.

OP, so long as you have the space, I say go for it. I also tend to overpack when it comes to footwear.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to pack heavy for my next trip! I don't know that I'll necessarily be overpacking, but I'll be taking a lot more than I usually would. This is going to be two trips in one, attending a science fiction convention (in nice casual clothing) and helping my sister and brother-in-law get their house ready for sale (in clothing that I can get grubby in). On top of that, the best time to do laundry will be two-thirds of the way through the trip.

My packing is also complicated by the fact that I lent my sweetie a rolling suitcase last time he was here, and he's going to return it to me during this trip. I think I'm going to pack into a small or medium Yeoman instead of my usual WF or A45 for the trip out, that way I have the option to fold up the Yeoman and put it in the other suitcase for the trip home.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. My vacation is next week, so of course I've already practice packed. I started with the idea that I'd pack my standard packing list in the A30 and pack the stuff that's unusual in a second separate bag. Then I looked at the extra stuff and saw that it can mostly be categorized by function: it's the swim gear and workout clothes that are the big extras. So I sorted it that way.

Mostly Standard Packing List, in my A30 or worn en route
    Tops:
    • 1 light merino cardigan
    • 1 linen button down
    • 1 linen tshirt
    • 2 tank tops
    • heavy, thick hoodie that I would never ordinarily pack to go anywhere because it's SO bulky, but was a gift from someone who will be on this trip with me, and luckily the A30 has plenty of room for sentiment.

Bottoms:
    • shorts
    • linen dress trousers
    • travel jeans

Undies:
    • 3 bras
    • many briefs

PJs:
    • 2 nightshirts
    • 1 pr bamboo leggings

Everyday shoes:
    • leather walking sandals
    • converse & 2 pr socks
    • sparkly going-out sandals that I would never ordinarily pack, but they are so fun!

Trip-specific Bonus Extras in a Non-TB weekender
    • PT filled with swim gear (2 bathing suits, 2 cover ups, waterproof chacos, flip flops, sunscreen, water bottle)
    • PCSB with workout gear (capri leggings, t-shirt, tank, socks, sneakers)
    • BAG TBD (advice welcome!) silk hair scarves, light wool wrap, sparkly jewelry

Boom. Easy. I can also carry my laptop in this bag because it has a laptop compartment.

Not Sure How to Pack
    straw sun hat and a straw fedora type hat. Not sure how I'll pack those -- I guess they just get thrown on top of everything in the trunk?

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    straw sun hat and a straw fedora type hat. Not sure how I'll pack those -- I guess they just get thrown on top of everything in the trunk?
    That's what we do. I leave mine in the car till needed, hubs brings his into the hotel.

I use 3DOCs, cubelets, and stuff sacks for scarves and hair stuff. Sparkly shinies go in a 2x3x.5 plastic box. The sparklies would tuck into your A30. Do you have a shop bag? The rest plus the PCSB would all fit in one.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post

Not Sure How to Pack
    I usually:
    -throw my hats on top of everything in the main center section of the A30 (requires hats that can squish down on the crown)
    -attach via carabiner to a handle and/or zipper pull
    -shove into tote
    -last resort: wear on head/hold in hand

Separately, do you have linen brands you recommend?

And have fun on the trip!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a motivation to try the 210 ballistic stuff sacks!

Sadly, these hats are not squishable, but I could toss them into one of my many OLSBs!

I buy most of my clothes second hand, so it's a little but catch as catch can on buying linen. Brooks Brothers linen is consistently beautiful and crisp in old school, structured styles, so I do pick that up when I find it second hand. Eileen Fisher has kinds of linen that are softer and as drapey and unstructured as cotton. Very reliable quality, comfy, and oh so moisture wicking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast