Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 One-Bag for Europe (test pack)

I recently completed a four-day trip to Portland, Oregon where all I took was a Tri-Star and a Luminary 15. Neither bag had a lot in it when I departed, but I planned ahead and used the extra capacity to bring back some shopping - including stops at Scraps, Icebreaker, REI, and Powellís.

I have an upcoming trip to Prague, Vienna and Bratislava. Once I wrote out my initial list, I was left with a dilemma on what bags to bring. I can certainly bring the TS + L12, and that might be a better overall fit - but do I really need to? Can I one-bag it? If I can one-bag, can I fit it all in a Synapse 25?

With that in mind, I found that I might be able to fit it all in a one-bag S25 setup with the internal frame as follows:

Bottom Pocket
    Snake Charmer as toiletry bag

Side Pockets
    Pen pocket: pens + eye glasses
    Other pocket: sunglasses

Center Small Pocket
    Mini Q-kit containing the power stuff - 2x power adapters, mini battery, USB mini cable, Apple Thunderbolt cable, adapters for Northern Europe plug and Southern Europe plug
    One Baggu shopping bag (didnít put in but could do so easily)

Water Bottle Pocket
    24 oz Hydro Flask w/flat cap (I might switch this for a smaller bottle)

Main Pack
    A5 Ghost Whale with a Kindle + Moleskine cahier + some A5 paper + C5 envelopes
    Clothing as follows:
    • 5 short-sleeve shirts (wool)
    • 5 pair undergarments
    • 5 pair socks (wool)
    • 6 handkerchiefs
    • 2 pair travel pants (polyester dress pants)
    • Sleep shirt
    • Sleep shorts
    • Long sleeve running shirt
    • Wool long sleeve half-zip sweater
    • Patagonia collapsible rain jacket (not in TS Packing Cube)

There isnít a lot of room left, but I didnít intend to buy a whole bunch of stuff to bring home except perhaps some postcards. Worst case is that I can ship it home.

As long as I can find one pair of shoes that would work for the entire trip, I can theoretically one-bag it!

Last edited by allanorn; 06-07-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the cahier

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Very nice! Will you need a day bag once you get there? I like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or the Daylight Backpack as my day bag and they will pack flat in the back of the Synapse25.

Will you have a small camera or phone? I ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your photos after your trip. Have fun! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Will you need a day bag once you get there? I like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or the Daylight Backpack as my day bag and they will pack flat in the back of the Synapse25.

Will you have a small camera or phone? I ask because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see your photos after your trip. Have fun! elisa
    I’ll have my phone with me so pictures aren’t an issue! I like using a phone instead of my SLR for trips like this since I usually want to carry a full set of lenses and I don’t want to carry around another bag for camera gear.

The two concerns I have with one-bagging this trip the way I have it now are (a) if I want/need a second pair of shoes; and (b) what to do for a possible EDC bag. I always have issues with shoes so that might be a last-minute decision. I took a pair of sneakers and a pair of dress shoes to PDX, which worked well because I had a dry pair when the other pair was wet.

The EDC bag is more of a concern because I may not need one but it would be truly handy if I’m out and about the entire day. The S25 with the frame sheet could fit that role as-is, but it’s a bit overkill as it’ll be mostly empty. I have two options - I can go two-bag with a 30-liter Patagonia duffel and bring the L15. That option would allow me to bring extra shoes. The other option is that I can pare down the clothing by one day as I would have to do laundry the same number of times with four or five sets of clothing. If I do that, I have a cheap Amazon packable backpack that I can probably stuff in the bag to keep it to one-bag.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about that Baggu bag? Can that be your second bag? Or, could you put the snake charmer inside something like a Side Effect/Side Kick (unsure on the sizes...)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    What about that Baggu bag? Can that be your second bag? Or, could you put the snake charmer inside something like a Side Effect/Side Kick (unsure on the sizes...)
    The Baggu bag is a grocery bag that fits up to two US-standard grocery bags’ worth of product into it. I love them because they pack super flat, unlike a ChicoBag. I love it for groceries but I wouldn’t want to carry it all day because it would tie up one hand; I’d rather use a backpack.

The Snake Charmer fits perfect into the bottom pocket of the S25. I might be able to marsupialize with another bag like the packable Amazon backpack but I don’t have a SE or a SK.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's worth looking into how to put a bag in bag.. Or, instead of the packing cube, if you had a packing cube shoulder bag or backpack? The bad thing about putting your snake charmer in another bag is that you will need them before the destination (or at least I usually do). Clothes not so much.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allanorn View Post
    I’ll have my phone with me so pictures aren’t an issue!
    Good call. I ditched the SLR and haven't looked back.

I took a pair of sneakers and a pair of dress shoes to PDX, which worked well because I had a dry pair when the other pair was wet.
    If you don't actually need "dress" shoes, there are plenty of office casual shoes with sneaker-like comfort on the market today. Then get a pair of mesh-top sneakers that can pack flat and bring them along in the bag (Nike Flyknit or New Balance sockfit are my go-to's, and they take about as much space as a pair of flip-flops).

The EDC bag is more of a concern because I may not need one but it would be truly handy if I’m out and about the entire day.
    Your packing cube looks like you could swap it for the PCBP. Catch is you'd have to unpack in order to use it (I do this all the time, but it bothers some people). Otherwise, something like Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil is small enough you could just clip it to a zipper outside the bag.

One advantage of the day bag is that you can go 2-bag on your return, and free up a lot of space in the backpack for things you buy on the way. Better with a shoulder bag like the WF, but it works in a pinch.

I'd also look into a Platypus or Vapur bottle instead of steel. Not only do they take no space at all when not being used, but the can pack into lots of empty space shapes in your bag when full. Get one with a carabiner that can hang from an eye loop.
    Last edited by imperator; 06-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    If you don't actually need "dress" shoes, there are plenty of office casual shoes with sneaker-like comfort on the market today. Then get a pair of mesh-top sneakers that can pack flat and bring them along in the bag (Nike Flyknit or New Balance sockfit are my go-to's, and they take about as much space as a pair of flip-flops).

Your packing cube looks like you could swap it for the PCBP. Catch is you'd have to unpack in order to use it (I do this all the time, but it bothers some people). Otherwise, something like Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil is small enough you could just clip it to a zipper outside the bag.

I'd also look into a Platypus or Vapur bottle instead of steel. Not only do they take no space at all when not being used, but the can pack into lots of empty space shapes in your bag when full. Get one with a carabiner that can hang from an eye loop.
    Thanks! I have been looking into office casual shoes like the Keen Austin, which are a real possibility. For this particular trip I'd like to have a dressier pair if I need to upgrade for some reason like dinner (unlikely) or the opera (more likely). However, two pairs of shoes isn't a firm requirement, and I'm trying to avoid spending more money on another bag or another pair of shoes before the trip. Thus I might go 2-bag with the 30-liter duffel + L15 with two pairs of shoes; that does give me a bit of space for bringing things home if I buy something.

As for the water bottle, I tried the Hydroflask thinking it was a 21oz, but it turns out it's a 24oz model! It does fit with that cap in the water bottle pouch of the S25, but it takes a little massaging of the zipper to make it happen. I have a Dopper water bottle that I picked up from a trip to the Netherlands that I'll likely take instead.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I did a couple of extra packing tests to see if I can one-bag.

Iím able to fit my packable backpack into the S25 setup quite easily. However, that backpack doesnít have the organization or structure I prefer for an all-day pack, especially carrying items like glasses and water bottles. I can make it work but itís not my preference.

However, I can fit the L15 into my 30-liter duffel with another pair of shoes. Thatís the best scenario as I can pre-pack the L15 and marsupialize it into the duffel, effectively making it one-bag for the airplane and having room for gifts on the way back. That also allows me to ditch a pair of shoes on the return if theyíre shot or I really need to.
    Last edited by allanorn; 06-15-2019 at 05:53 PM.