Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 adults, 2 kids, 3 weeks, 2 Aeronauts

Well, we're heading out tomorrow for three weeks of touring through (checks weather again) a huge unseasonable early heatwave of 38C or 100F weather expected for southern Germany and Switzerland, right where we'll be. Hello climate catastrophe, I guess we'll be getting to know you better over the years... my husband is reading up on heat stroke...

At any rate, we've stocked up on water bottles and cut down on everything else so we currently have --

Me with an A30 at 7.4kg (I carry my clothes, the "fun bag" with cards and dice and drawing and painting stuff, an extra pair of shoes, toiletries, tech cords (kindle/watch/phone/HDMI/power bank), coffee thermos, water bottle, food thermos, cutlery roll, cup & plate and of course purse, laundry bag with scrubba, soap, plug and drying line). I've made my own packing cube shoulder bag out of an IKEA packing cube with a strap from another bag, that's what all the fun stuff is in.

My husband with an A45 at 8kg, with his clothes, half of the little boy's clothes, the whole family's swimsuits + two large linen towels (four would be better but...), toiletries including so much sunscreen, first aid kit, cutlery roll, cup & plate, plus phone charger & power bank. He also has charge of the passports and tickets.

My little girl (11) with a Fjällraven Kånken at 3kg with her clothes, a doll, a medium sketchbook, water bottle, headphones, a foldable cup & bowl, a cutlery roll, a pencil case, a phone and charger.

My little boy (6) with a very exciting shark backpack at 2.3kg with half his clothes, an iPad mini, charger, headphones, water bottle, foldable cup & bowl and cutlery roll.

Kids clothes are 3 pair shorts, one pair light long pants, four t-shirts/tank tops, five undies and four low socks, plus a merino wool zip-up sweater in case it turns cold later in the trip ha ha ha and a pair of summer pyjamas.

We have similar clothes - three bottoms, four light tops and a layer, plus I have a big light scarf (also used as a train "blanket" for kids and swim coverup); my daughter has one too. I also have brought a bandana with the idea of soaking it in water if needed OMG. I have two pair of shoes though because I am vain.

Finally we have a food bag (a lightweight ikea one). which has comestibles, an extra water bottle (did I mention the heat?) and a little cutting board, knife, and tea towel.

-- because we are travelling only by train etc we are not bringing rollers as we do when flying since the train stations are absolutely packed with stairs and people, not to mention the cobblestones etc in the towns. We've tried to focus instead on just bringing way less. When I travelled to France a couple of weeks ago I saw that many people were using backpack luggage.

I'll try to send pics. Please send your wishes for cool weather our way.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Well, we're heading out tomorrow for three weeks of touring through (checks weather again) a huge unseasonable early heatwave of 38C or 100F weather expected for southern Germany and Switzerland, right where we'll be. Hello climate catastrophe, I guess we'll be getting to know you better over the years... my husband is reading up on heat stroke...

At any rate, we've stocked up on water bottles and cut down on everything else so we currently have --

Me with an A30 at 7.4kg (I carry my clothes, the "fun bag" with cards and dice and drawing and painting stuff, an extra pair of shoes, toiletries, tech cords (kindle/watch/phone/HDMI/power bank), coffee thermos, water bottle, food thermos, cutlery roll, cup & plate and of course purse, laundry bag with scrubba, soap, plug and drying line). I've made my own packing cube shoulder bag out of an IKEA packing cube with a strap from another bag, that's what all the fun stuff is in.

My husband with an A45 at 8kg, with his clothes, half of the little boy's clothes, the whole family's swimsuits + two large linen towels (four would be better but...), toiletries including so much sunscreen, first aid kit, cutlery roll, cup & plate, plus phone charger & power bank. He also has charge of the passports and tickets.

My little girl (11) with a Fjällraven Kånken at 3kg with her clothes, a doll, a medium sketchbook, water bottle, headphones, a foldable cup & bowl, a cutlery roll, a pencil case, a phone and charger.

My little boy (6) with a very exciting shark backpack at 2.3kg with half his clothes, an iPad mini, charger, headphones, water bottle, foldable cup & bowl and cutlery roll.

Kids clothes are 3 pair shorts, one pair light long pants, four t-shirts/tank tops, five undies and four low socks, plus a merino wool zip-up sweater in case it turns cold later in the trip ha ha ha and a pair of summer pyjamas.

We have similar clothes - three bottoms, four light tops and a layer, plus I have a big light scarf (also used as a train "blanket" for kids and swim coverup); my daughter has one too. I also have brought a bandana with the idea of soaking it in water if needed OMG. I have two pair of shoes though because I am vain.

Finally we have a food bag (a lightweight ikea one). which has comestibles, an extra water bottle (did I mention the heat?) and a little cutting board, knife, and tea towel.

-- because we are travelling only by train etc we are not bringing rollers as we do when flying since the train stations are absolutely packed with stairs and people, not to mention the cobblestones etc in the towns. We've tried to focus instead on just bringing way less. When I travelled to France a couple of weeks ago I saw that many people were using backpack luggage.

I'll try to send pics. Please send your wishes for cool weather our way.
    Wow. I hope you have a great time and that the heat wave is not all that's been promised!

What folding cups and bowls do you have and do you recommend them?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With high heat, drink your water, eat a banana, and move nice and slow... no need to rush around - plan plenty of breaks in the shade or inside AC, especially late afternoon.
    I don't think you mentioned hats - I hope you all have light, wide brimmed hats

Have a good time!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    With high heat, drink your water, eat a banana, and move nice and slow... no need to rush around - plan plenty of breaks in the shade or inside AC, especially late afternoon.
    I don't think you mentioned hats - I hope you all have light, wide brimmed hats

Have a good time!
    This is all great advice! I never leave home without a sun hat once the days get long.

Heatwaves in Europe are really dangerous because a lot of places just don't have AC so it's hard to find relief. Even in museums. (I imagine this is the basis of @ejvc's concern)

If it were me I would take a city by city approach and search/post on various travel or expat forums to see where you might duck into for a cooler couple of hours.

You might end up doing different stuff than you planned but it could bring pleasant surprises. Are cinemas airconned, for instance? In Cologne there is a fantastic pool/thermal baths a bit of a trek from the city centre on foot but it is so worth it. Other cities probably have similar.

Good luck!