Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greece & UK

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Maybe my eldest will live her dream of studying in the UK and we can come visit her for an extended stay.
    Not to hijack your thread but my son is studying in Lorraine, Fr this next year. I've been taking notes from all the great posts members share here. We're planning a week in London and a week in France during his winter break!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís awesome! Hope you post a trip report when you get back! 🥰💕✈️

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristina - We just need to HAVE the physical railcard with us when we show up to board the train, is that right? (the website was a bit vague about what one does with the railcard ). If I understood correctly, I think we can have it sent to where we're staying, and if by chance it doesn't arrive or it gets lost, we can always buy another at the station - right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    If you are able to buy a Friends and Family Railcard from where you are now, you'll save a lot on your tickets. You could maybe even have it sent to where you're staying in London, as long as you have it on your journey that's the important thing.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greece & UK

Yes, you need to have the railcard to show along with the ticket. They have added the option to buy a digital railcard, I just learned this tonight! Info at the link below.

https://www.familyandfriends-railcar.../where-to-buy/

The ticket isn't tied specifically to your railcard by the railcard number, so you can buy your ticket before you have your railcard. If you buy a ticket, however, selecting the option for a railcard discount, and you don't have a railcard to show on the train, you could be forced to buy a new ticket. Once I left the railcard at home but the ticket checker on the outward journey let me buy a new railcard at the station for £30 instead of new tickets for £300.

Edited to add: reading reviews of the Railcard app, I would go for a physical card. Apparently you need to have an internet connection to show the card (reviews from September day this), and I often struggle for a signal on a train since we are hurtling through open countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Cristina - We just need to HAVE the physical railcard with us when we show up to board the train, is that right? (the website was a bit vague about what one does with the railcard Greece & UK). If I understood correctly, I think we can have it sent to where we're staying, and if by chance it doesn't arrive or it gets lost, we can always buy another at the station - right?
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-14-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I did see the option for a digital railcard but I thought there were too many unknowns - can we install it, do we need to be in the UK, do we need a UK phone, etc. etc, so we are opting for the physical card. I think it's a reasonable fallback to buy a railcard at the station if for some reason the one we ordered doesn't arrive in time. I appreciate the railcard tip, it's definitely a significant savings!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yes, you need to have the railcard to show along with the ticket. They have added the option to buy a digital railcard, I just learned this tonight! Info at the link below.

https://www.familyandfriends-railcar.../where-to-buy/

The ticket isn't tied specifically to your railcard by the railcard number, so you can buy your ticket before you have your railcard. If you buy a ticket, however, selecting the option for a railcard discount, and you don't have a railcard to show on the train, you could be forced to buy a new ticket. Once I left the railcard at home but the ticket checker on the outward journey let me buy a new railcard at the station for £30 instead of new tickets for £300.

Edited to add: reading reviews of the Railcard app, I would go for a physical card. Apparently you need to have an internet connection to show the card (reviews from September day this), and I often struggle for a signal on a train since we are hurtling through open countryside.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3