Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet safety while traveling?

My aunt just embarked on a cruise. She noticed yesterday that her Gmail account had been hacked, as well as her FB account. Unclear whether it happened before she boarded the ship, or onboard.

We're helping her resolve the issues, but any general advice for avoiding these issues while traveling? I admit, I've been cavalier in the past about posting on FB or checking email over public WiFi while traveling. Thoughts on best practices?

Thank you for all suggestions!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of good reads on this issue, e.g. in Wired or on the Norton Website or on the Consumer Report Website. Personally, I try to avoid doing sensitive stuff such as banking as long as I am using a public unprotected wifi hotspot. Strong passwords is another important advice and never following any links in e-mails from senders that I don't know or that I don't trust. Furthermore, serious companies will never send you an e-mail saying: "Click on this link and then enter your ID and PW." They will rather prompt you to go to their website and log into your account. However, sometimes I still feel uncanny using the internet in unfamiliar places...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first bit of advice comes pre-travel -- make sure your username/password combinations are all unique. Reusing passwords is easy but if your MySpace from 20 years ago has the same user/pass combo as your email today and MySpace gets hacked and your username/password combination is dumped, those people have your email password. In fact, that's today's xkcd! In addition, use 2 Factor Authentication when at all possible.

The second bit of advice is always use HTTPS and if the certificate isn't up to date, don't use it! It's not perfect but it adds some protection where there wouldn't be before and encrypts your traffic to and from your machine.

A trustworthy VPN service is worth investing in. I personally use PrivateInternetAccess when I'm on insecure or untrustworthy networks and if you just want to pay for it on vacation, it's $3.50 a month so it won't break the bank.

If you're travelling across borders it's often a good idea to scrub personal information off of your devices, move what you can to the cloud (and don't keep the password for the cloud saved on the device in question), and/or use a burner phone just in case you have to hand your phone over and unlock it at a border.

The EFF, as usual, has great information:

Digital Privacy at the US Border
    Surveilence Self-Defense
    The Problem with Mobile Phones
    Last edited by MatthewR; 07-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed that a trustworthy VPN is really useful when travelling for security if/when relying on public access internet, for example in hotels, cafes or airports. I have used Cactus VPN for a few years and I am very happy with the service offered and value. Even if not interested in their service, their website and blog also share good security explanations and advice.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!! All very helpful. I will start reading up!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    In addition, use 2 Factor Authentication when at all possible.
    This is the easiest thing to do that seriously cuts down on the likelihood of an account being hacked. All of my "serious" accounts use 2FA and while I need an extra code to log in that security outweighs the downside of opening the app (which works offline) and grabbing the code.
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does 2FA work well when you're traveling? Just wondering if being in a different country makes it any harder for a text to come through.

Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryOrchard View Post
    This is the easiest thing to do that seriously cuts down on the likelihood of an account being hacked. All of my "serious" accounts use 2FA and while I need an extra code to log in that security outweighs the downside of opening the app (which works offline) and grabbing the code.
    Last edited by haraya; 07-18-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Does 2FA work well when you're traveling?
    In my experience it does work well... unless your other authentication factor breaks. This has been on my mind recently because of a friend's experience: she went on a weekend trip and her phone died. Not only did that mean she didn't have access to anything she had stored in her phone, she couldn't even log in to her email on someone else's computer because she had two-factor authentication set up to send her a code as a text message. (In the end she was able to get around that by moving her phone's SIM card to a friend's phone, so she could get the authentication text message on her friend's phone.)

I use two-factor authentication for my Gmail accounts via an app on my phone, and I had never really thought about how dependent I've become on my phone. This made me realize that my phone is now the single point of failure between me and my email when I'm traveling. Google's two-factor authentication allows one to download a set of backup codes but until now I didn't think I would ever need the backup codes for anything. I'm downloading them now for all my accounts!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was what I was worried about. I guess I can download the backup codes and bring some of them with me.

Almost makes me want to go back to all-paper!

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    In my experience it does work well... unless your other authentication factor breaks. This has been on my mind recently because of a friend's experience: she went on a weekend trip and her phone died. Not only did that mean she didn't have access to anything she had stored in her phone, she couldn't even log in to her email on someone else's computer because she had two-factor authentication set up to send her a code as a text message. (In the end she was able to get around that by moving her phone's SIM card to a friend's phone, so she could get the authentication text message on her friend's phone.)

I use two-factor authentication for my Gmail accounts via an app on my phone, and I had never really thought about how dependent I've become on my phone. This made me realize that my phone is now the single point of failure between me and my email when I'm traveling. Google's two-factor authentication allows one to download a set of backup codes but until now I didn't think I would ever need the backup codes for anything. I'm downloading them now for all my accounts!