Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryOrchard View Post
    Maybe not minimalist but always useful: cutlery.
    I always have cutlery with me, too. I have a Light My Fire spork in my EDC. For travel I have a set (from Daiso, I think?) that has a fork, spoon, and chopsticks in a carrying case.

With that, a bottle opener, bladeless corkscrew and Matador picnic blanket, I can have a meal pretty much anywhere.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick Steves has a lot of good travel items on his website. I've bought his travel towels and his clothesline. Both are super lightweight. The towels absorb a lot of water and dry quickly. I used them mostly for taking excess water out of items I washed in the sink. His clothes line has Velcro loops at both ends which makes it easier to attach the line to anything. His plugs are also super cheap ($1) and work great. And if they break, I'm not out $20.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not confuse minimalism with multifunctional, travel-specific toys and new tech. Minimalism, in its purist form, is a function of reductionism, doing and accomplishing far more with far less after eliminating the superfluous and decorative. A sphere is minimalist. A cube is embellished with five additional, some would say unnecessary, surfaces. A Bic ballpoint pen approaches minimalism (but only if you lose the cap, too). A fountain pen, on the other hand, even if it is a simple and unadorned barrel (and very much fun to use), is absurdly complex.

Minimalism, as a currently vogue lifestyle, is often confused with buying cool stuff. An act that accomplishes little other than contributing to an economy. A capsule wardrobe can be minimalist but folks now have many capsules, one for each season, one for weekends, one for meetings, one for work, one for cycling. That’s just consumerism wrapped in hipness. My iPhone is a reduction of my three Nikons and eight lenses but not really minimalist since the phone requires its own infrastructure. Mahatma Gandhi? Yeah, minimalist. “The Minimalists”? Not really, they’re just trying to live more simply and that can be tremendously valuable to the world and personally satisfying.

Reducing your travel needs from two, 60 liter wheelies to an Aeronaut 45 is not minimalism. That’s just researching and employing advanced techniques. You want minimalist travel? There are folks who go around the world with a 20 liter backpack and that’s all.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    There are folks who go around the world with a 20 liter backpack and that’s all.
    That's outright indulgent right there. Real minimalists have no bags

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Minimalist Travel Hacks/Products?

Do not confuse minimalism with multifunctional, travel-specific toys and new tech. Minimalism, in its purist form, is a function of reductionism, doing and accomplishing far more with far less after eliminating the superfluous and decorative. A sphere is minimalist. A cube is embellished with five additional, some would say unnecessary, surfaces. A Bic ballpoint pen approaches minimalism (but only if you lose the cap, too). A fountain pen, on the other hand, even if it is a simple and unadorned barrel (and very much fun to use), is absurdly complex.

Minimalism, as a currently vogue lifestyle, is often confused with buying cool stuff. An act that accomplishes little other than contributing to an economy. A capsule wardrobe can be minimalist but folks now have many capsules, one for each season, one for weekends, one for meetings, one for work, one for cycling. That’s just consumerism wrapped in hipness. My iPhone is a reduction of my three Nikons and eight lenses but not really minimalist since the phone requires its own infrastructure. Mahatma Gandhi? Yeah, minimalist. “The Minimalists”? Not really, they’re just trying to live more simply and that can be tremendously valuable to the world and personally satisfying.

Reducing your travel needs from two, 60 liter wheelies to an Aeronaut 45 is not minimalism. That’s just researching and employing advanced techniques. You want minimalist travel? There are folks who go around the world with a 20 liter backpack and that’s all.
    I think in the case of this thread OP was more going for items with multiple uses, or one item that replaces many in its functionality. I agree that minimalism often gets confused with simplicity. I’ve always defined minimalism is the base amount of what you feel comfortable with, which for different folks is different amounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For people whose skin routine involves various products, 3 oz, even 1 oz, tends to be way too much for liquid toiletries, unless you are traveling long term. I've found using a contact lens case gives me the right amount. Enough facial cleanser for one week fits in one side- I use both sides for longer trips. Another lens case gets eye cream on one side and moisturizer on the other, etc. If you aren't sure how much you'll need for your particular product/skin care routine, try it out before your trip to get the right amount.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've mentioned this in a thread once before. I have a small seat-side entertainment kit I don't leave home without. I've used everything in there at least once, so I keep them all in there. They have been able to surviving traveling comfortably with these items.

The bag is the smallest of the Sea to Summit Mini Stuff Sack Set. I keep an audio cable curled up at the bottom and then arrange a iPhone wall charger, a 12 volt USB car charger, USB phone charger,, iPod Shuffle with charging cable, iPhone earbuds with mic, and a dual lightening/micro USB charging cable.

Favorite Minimalist Travel Hacks/Products?-img_0353_seat-side-kit-jpg

And editing to add that I also travel with collapsible bowl and spoon-fork combo and recently a Matador mini blanket. I've yet to use the mini blanket as a picnic blanket, but it works really well as a lap blanket in the hotel. I have the hardest time getting hotel temperatures just right, so in the evening I generally get cold. I found using a sweater or a towel as a shawl, I can use the Matador blanket over my legs and I stay warm.

I also discovered I can use my exercise band as a make-shift clothes line.
    Last edited by sujo; 08-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that has always annoyed us is the housekeeping door tags. They constantly fly off.

Our daughter came up with the idea to wrap some masking tape around a hotel key and putting it in our travel tray with sanitizer wipes and a binder clip. A 1” piece rolled on the back of the door tag holds it secure to the door.

Finally this annoying problem is solved....by an 11 year old.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word "no" spiced with a pinch of self honesty. We pack for fear and understanding why you want to haul something halfway around the planet is the key.

Fashion is a major cause of luggage weight. Forgetaboutit. Fear makes us take too much or too many. Take only what you will truly use. Take only the quantities of toiletries that you will use and even then you can resupply as you go.

Electronics have become the boat anchor of current packing. One gadget breeds ten. Be careful.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWSeattle View Post
    Fashion is a major cause of luggage weight. Forgetaboutit.
    I don't agree with that, it's a myth. If you're going on a hiking holiday and you will be outside in the elements at all times, then pack hiking pants/shoes, a fleece and an utility rain jacket. But there's absolutely no reason to do that if you're doing a sightseeing or city trip with only the occasional walk thrown in. You can travel minimal and be fashionable. I'm a woman and enjoy dressing myself and I would feel totally uncomfortable walking around a city in hiking clothes. I think you need to take clothes that work for your destination/itinerary/the weather and first and foremost clothes that you are comfortable in.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I don't agree with that, it's a myth. If you're going on a hiking holiday and you will be outside in the elements at all times, then pack hiking pants/shoes, a fleece and an utility rain jacket. But there's absolutely no reason to do that if you're doing a sightseeing or city trip with only the occasional walk thrown in. You can travel minimal and be fashionable. I'm a woman and enjoy dressing myself and I would feel totally uncomfortable walking around a city in hiking clothes. I think you need to take clothes that work for your destination/itinerary/the weather and first and foremost clothes that you are comfortable in.
    I agree with you, mix and match + laundry, you totally can be fashionable, some even travel with 4 dresses ! (and almost nothing else -as main outfit-)
    stuck with what you are confortable with (feels and looks) and it will be ok (in worst scenario you will able to buy what you need, unless if you are in the wild, but in this case you will be more confortable with adequate outfits and will likely take them )
    just a Bihnion here

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I agree with you, mix and match + laundry, you totally can be fashionable, some even travel with 4 dresses ! (and almost nothing else -as main outfit-) stuck with what you are confortable with (feels and looks) and it will be ok (in worst scenario you will able to buy what you need, unless if you are in the wild, but in this case you will be more confortable with adequate outfits and will likely take them )
    Yup, I love the challenge of mixing and matching- everything has to match each other and I have to be able to foresee wearing it at least twice (for 1 week) or three times (for more than 10 days). I tend to stick to a neutral color scheme with one or two pops of color (again, that all match each other), and with those guidelines, fashionable is easy.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Enough facial cleanser for one week fits in one side- I use both sides for longer trips.
    I started cutting them in half, they fill the space between other things really well that way.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Yup, I love the challenge of mixing and matching- everything has to match each other and I have to be able to foresee wearing it at least twice (for 1 week) or three times (for more than 10 days). I tend to stick to a neutral color scheme with one or two pops of color (again, that all match each other), and with those guidelines, fashionable is easy.
    This is my favorite part of packing! I'm working on buying only ethical/sustainable clothing for daily life now, and this expertise has really helped me understand how few clothes we really need. Mix and match with neutrals and you're set for a long time with not that much!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Minimalism, as a currently vogue lifestyle, is often confused with buying cool stuff....
    No confusion, just maximizing performance and joy. The confusion is that minimalism is not necessarily anti-materialism and I can make a case for being hyper-[I]materialistic. Each item you choose to take with you should work 100% and bring you joy. If I'm taking socks, they should be really good socks, but I should only take what I will actually use.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast