Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't claim to be uber-fashionable in daily life, but I wear the same things to travel that I wear everyday.

I agree with the comments above about dressing stylishly while still packing light. It takes extra thought and planning--but frankly, I LOVE doing that. I refine my capsule wardrobe skills every time I travel. And, I very rarely buy a piece that is travel-specific and not something I'd wear at home. In fact, at the moment I can't think of even one item like that in my wardrobe.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    That's outright indulgent right there. Real minimalists have no bags
    back when i used to work for an international airline, the fun thing to do was show up at the airport with the clothes on you back, your passport and credit cards, find the best seats on the longest flight, show up where ever, and then "urban camp" your way through the rest of the trip, finding hotels, restaurants, clothes, etc.

Probably not what you mean, but was a fun reminder

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel-size deodorant sticks are a huge space hog (they're 90% empty). Also, its very hard to find actual deodorant in travel sizes anyway (most that you find in the travel sizes are antiperspirant).

I bought a bunch of empty lip balm tubes on ebay, then you can just take a full-size speedstick or similar, chop up the stick, and squish it into the tubes.

Now I get my dopp into a Q-kit, which wasn't possible before this.
    Last edited by pvn; 08-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    Travel-size deodorant sticks are a huge space hog (they're 90% empty). Also, its very hard to find actual deodorant in travel sizes anyway (most that you find in the travel sizes are antiperspirant).

I bought a bunch of empty lip balm tubes on ebay, then you can just take a full-size speedstick or similar, chop up the stick, and squish it into the tubes.

Now I get my dopp fits into a Q-kit, which wasn't possible before this.
    Great idea! I may have to steel that one. I am trying to downsize my toiletries and couldn’t think of how to only carry a small container for deodorant.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel-size deodorant sticks are a huge space hog (they're 90% empty).
    I’ve been thinking of getting a cream deodorant (very old fashioned—makes me think of the 1920s) and decanting from the jar into a small tube for travel. Bioderma makes one that looks promising, if expensive.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I empty my deodorant container into a tiny pot. I apply it with my finger and save a bunch of space in my bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decant gel deodorant into a little flip-top jar. It's round, about the size of a fifty cent piece, and about a half inch in height. Filled it'll hold enough for a week. I used to get these at Storables (RIP). Now you can get this kind of thing or other super-tiny jars online--businesses catering to little cosmetics companies that send out a lot of little free samples. Also, Asian markets often sell bags of tiny little plastic bottles designed to hold soy sauce in bento boxes. Perfect for decanting that little bit of serum or eye cream you need for traveling and takes up next to no space in the liquids-n-gels bag.

One other hack that I use is sample packets of makeup, toiletries, and skincare products. (Kiehl's is very generous with them, and assuming you can find a department store with a make up counter, you can score some there, too. Don't rip open the packet, though, or it'll make a mess later on in your travels or dry up and get gunky. Instead, use a pin or needle to poke a hole in one corner of the packet. Squeeze out what you want, and use your fingers to move most of the contents down and away from the hole. I spent a month on the road with a single packet of Kiehl's avocado eye cream once--and it was still fresh and creamy to the end.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I’ve been thinking of getting a cream deodorant (very old fashioned—makes me think of the 1920s) and decanting from the jar into a small tube for travel. Bioderma makes one that looks promising, if expensive.
    I bought a jar of Arrid cream antiperspirant a couple of years ago and put some in the smallest size of GoTubb for travel. I'm still on that first jar, though I've refilled the GoTubb a few times*. It's been working out well for me, and applying it reminds me of the only other cream deodorant I remember using (I bought that other one in Denmark as a teen, so that's a special memory).

*Clarification: I only use the cream antiperspirant when I'm traveling--I'm sure I would have run out by now if I used it daily.

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I get my dopp into a Q-kit, which wasn't possible before this.
    The travel size deodorant from Native are pretty small and wonderful.
    --------------------------------

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    The travel size deodorant from Native are pretty small and wonderful.
    And so cute! I have one of those too, I've been using Native deodorant the last few months when I'm not traveling. I ordered a sample pack from them and they included a travel-sized one. (I'm not totally sold on deodorant-not-antiperspirant for hot days yet, but that's a very personal choice.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use cream deodorant in everyday life and of course it’s also nice to travel with. I buy mine, but it’s fairly simple to make it at home if the only alternative is buying an expensive version. There are quite a few recipes on the internet.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Seattle brand of natural deodorant, Sodawax, and it looks like they now also are making travel sized ones. I am guessing these could likely be "topped off" from a normal size one once you have the travel sized dispenser too.

https://sodawax.com/product/minis-2pack/

Not as efficient as a little tub, but easy for application.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coconut oil, with some essential oils that are anti bacterial works well as a deodorant. Coconut oil is anti microbial on its own, the essential oils are additional anti bacterial as well as for scent. I use tea tree, thyme and lavender (less of the thyme than the other two, as its stronger). I scoop some of this into a small container intended for holding a few aspirin. The only downside is that this will become liquid when it gets really hot (over 80 degrees or so in my experience). For travel antiperspirant, I just melt down some of the regular stuff in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and pour it into a sample/small push up container that I buy from soapmaker websites.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3