Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mugging in London last night

Hi folks!

I spoke this morning with my cousin who is on vacation in London. Last night, he and a friend were out near Oxford Circus. They were approached by a couple of people offering to sell them drugs. They declined the offer.

A few moments later, they were jumped by 5 people, including the people who had offered to sell them drugs.

One had my cousin in a headlock and another punched his friend in the chest. One of the assailants had a knife. Fortunately, neither my cousin nor his friend was seriously hurt!

My cousin was wearing a nice watch, and the assailants must have spotted it on his wrist when they approached them with the offer of drugs. That's what they came back for, that is all they took.

Again, the important thing is that no one was seriously hurt! But they were both naturally quite shaken up and upset by what happened.

The policewoman who took the report said that they have recently had a number of such incidents in London.

My cousin contacted the jeweler where he purchased his watch for the serial number so that it can be documented in the police report and so that it can be registered as a stolen watch. This will hopefully trigger an alert if the assailants try to sell the watch and the buyer attempts to register it -- or if the assailants take it to a pawn shop, I imagine that the pawn shop will check the serial number to ensure it isn't stolen.

It's really scary when something like this happens. It scares us and messes with our mind. We think -- why did this happen? Did I do something wrong? All sorts of thoughts run through our head as we process these horrific events.

Again, and I know I've said this a couple of times already -- I think the important thing is that no one was hurt! At the end of the day, that's what matters! A watch, or anything else that someone takes, can be replaced. You, on the other hand, cannot! If someone can bring themselves to mug you, it's better to let them take what they're after and for them to be gone.

It's also important to understand that by carrying or wearing something, we aren't do anything wrong. In this case, they were in a city I consider to be as safe if not safer than where I live (I live in the suburbs of Washington, DC, in the US). If where I'm going makes me think twice about what watch I should wear -- forget the watch, I don't think I'd want to go to that place!

Stay safe, near home and wherever your travels may take you!
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for your cousin, maverick.

The good news is, he and his friends are ok. The watch can be traced.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in London now and spend a lot of time here. Sadly, what happened to your cousin is no longer rare.

Muggings usually involve watches or cellphones. It is a bad idea to wear an expensive watch or any expensive jewelry when walking around. It is also a bad idea to use your mobile phone in the middle of the sidewalk where thieves on bicycles and scooters can ride by and grab it.

The thieves know people who will buy the watch from them and then sell it on the black market. The police report is more for his insurance.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should also report the theft to the manufacture. The watches that are worth thieves' efforts are almost all mechanical, and will eventually stop running without servicing. Many of those high-end watches can only be serviced by the manufacture, so it's almost inevitable it will find its way there (less likely with Rolex or Omega than with more boutique manufactures).

As far as insurance, most people rely on homeowner's insurance for coverage, but many watches exceed the coverage limits by far. Check your coverage limits, get an appraisal, and you'll often find you need a separate policy.

Still, I'd much rather have my (insured) watch stolen than my phone while travelling. I had a phone die in the middle of a flight on a work trip and WHAT A PITA IT WAS! You don't realize how much we depend on out devices, particularly unplanned. At least with the watch you just file your claim and continue on the trip. I'm thinking of bringing a backup phone on my next trip, just in case...

If you used your phone as a camera, there are good lanyard/strap cases that will make it that much harder to snatch.

Downside of Europe in the summer, short sleeves!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Yes, he's also notifying the manufacturer. Sadly, he had not added the watch to his insurance policy.

This makes me think twice about what watch I'm wearing for my trip next month. I long ago gave up wearing really expensive watches. I'm less concerned about someone taking the watch or anything else than I am about being in a situation where someone comes after me for that thing.
    -m

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Again, and I know I've said this a couple of times already -- I think the important thing is that no one was hurt! At the end of the day, that's what matters! A watch, or anything else that someone takes, can be replaced. You, on the other hand, cannot! If someone can bring themselves to mug you, it's better to let them take what they're after and for them to be gone.

It's also important to understand that by carrying or wearing something, we aren't do anything wrong.
    @maverick, I don't feel right clicking "like" on a post describing what happened to your cousin and his friend, but I do like that you emphasized the points I quoted here! I'm so sorry that this happened to them, and I hope they're able to enjoy their vacation despite this having happened.