Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a safe-yet-functional bet for a personal item as only bag?

Hi, y'all! I haven't flown since the airlines decided to start prohibiting carry on bags without paying $100 extra for your ticket. I'm travelling soon on a 4-day trip and am hoping there is one of my Bihn bags that will sneak past the measurement limitations.

United (bleh) says I can have a bag 17"h x 10"w x 9"d.

I have a Synapse 19, a Smart Alec (my usual go-to), an Aeronaut 30 (which I assume is RIGHT OUT), the pop tote, and large zip-top shop bag.

All of those have at least one dimension that is too large, but if not overstuffed, can fit in the space. Frig, ALL of them could fit under the seat in front of me. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have travelled with any of these as your personal item and didn't get hassled.

(Bonus: I have a CPAP that has to come with me, and if I read the rules right, they shouldn't bat an eye at that as an extra item to carry on.)

Thanks for your input!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, if you can squish it into the sizer box (which they hardly ever make you try) and it fits under the seat in front of you, you should be fine. There's always a chance they're having an enforcement day or someone is having a bad day and you get picked.
    The A30 under the seat is pushing it unless it's under packed...
    Small packs and totes get the least amount of scrutiny in my experience.... I put the LZTSB under the seat all the time.
    Medical things are usually exempt, but you also don't want to attract attention to what else you're bringing...
    Good luck!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're entirely right about the CPAP: in the US they have to allow you to carry on your CPAP and its traveling case as a free extra item. (But if your CPAP is in the same bag with your non-medical other stuff, that bag of CPAP + non-medical stuff isn't allowed as a free extra item--it has to be just the CPAP.)

I hardly ever fly United so I'm not sure how strict they are about personal item sizes--I hope someone else will chime in on that. But I would expect the S19 or the Pop Tote to be fine; the Smart Alec and ZTLSB might fly (pun partly intended) but it would be iffier since they look bigger and therefore more likely to catch a gate agent's attention, and I think you're right that the A30 would be right out.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely planning on carrying the CPAP in its own bag. It's a pretty small one, too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve flown United with my Synapse 25 and never had a problem. Iím 6í5Ē so the scale is smaller, and I always tried to keep it under-packed, but Iíve never had an issue fitting it under the seat when packed for a 3 day weekend. Sometimes United forces you to check in at a kiosk so they can check you bag, but they seemed to only be checking they I didnít have a roller with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5000 View Post
    I’ve flown United with my Synapse 25 and never had a problem.
    Welcome to the Forums @Matt5000!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have carried a Synapse 19, Smart Alec, and Western Flyer as a carry-on or personal bag (separately, not all at once!) and have never had problems with any US Airline (including United). The WF is a tight fit under the seat but works - after take off I put it behind my legs against my seat so I have leg room beneath the seat in front of me. When landing, it goes back under the seat.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I was flying Frontier last fall with a non-TB bag that was roughly 20 inches tall, and it was fine one way, but then was flagged on the return flight because it protruded too far into foot space (and had a rigid back so I couldn't "squish" it to fit). The attendant's voiced concern was safe travel to/from the aisle (since I didn't have the window seat).

Given all that, as others said, I suspect the real questions are "does it look small enough to avoid attention" and "will it fit entirely under the seat".

Good luck!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my pop tote on Ryanair (personal item size = 40 x 25 x 20cm, so 16 x 10 x 8 inches) and I pack it to top of outside pockets only, then it fits the sizer easily.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amysinger View Post
    Hi, y'all! I haven't flown since the airlines decided to start prohibiting carry on bags without paying $100 extra for your ticket. I'm travelling soon on a 4-day trip and am hoping there is one of my Bihn bags that will sneak past the measurement limitations.

United (bleh) says I can have a bag 17"h x 10"w x 9"d.

I have a Synapse 19, a Smart Alec (my usual go-to), an Aeronaut 30 (which I assume is RIGHT OUT), the pop tote, and large zip-top shop bag.

All of those have at least one dimension that is too large, but if not overstuffed, can fit in the space. Frig, ALL of them could fit under the seat in front of me. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have travelled with any of these as your personal item and didn't get hassled.

(Bonus: I have a CPAP that has to come with me, and if I read the rules right, they shouldn't bat an eye at that as an extra item to carry on.)

Thanks for your input!
    Hi @amysinger, I think your best bet is to go with the Pop Tote or Shop Bag and make sure it isnít very full so you can fold the top down if needed to make it compliant.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you might want to get is a small bag for your cpap and attach a medical tag to it. they wonít give you a hard time for the small extra bag (only have your cpap stuff in that extra bag)
    This one is handy:
    Shacke Medical Equipment Luggage Tag for Respiratory Devices (Black/Vertical) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01259KWN8..._EXPmDbWNSA28T

Also I know you have a few things but if you can get your hands on a Night Flight Travel Duffle that meets Unitedís personal item exactly.
    Hereís how I packed mine with my cpap in the bag:
    http://fredletstravels.com/2019/04/1...travel-duffel/

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use my Pop Tote for my personal bag on planes and have never had a problem. Same with the S19. FWIW I have even put my RB36 in the overhead compartment.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart Alec fits perfectly for a personal bag.

The s19 does as well, couldnít find the pic of my s25, but it does fit without the frame sheet. With the frame sheet it goes 2 inches over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 07-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took my S19 on United and no one even blinked. It fit under the seat with no problems and room to spare

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didnít realize I had already answered this post, lol.
    Last edited by melminimalist; 08-05-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast