Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygranny View Post
    I think I have been to Ireland in all months, and early October is my favourite,

the days are still warm and there is a nice feel to it. But no one can tell you the weather more than a week in advance, it could be glorious sunshine showing off the Autumn tints or it could rain all week, but that goes for any week you choose throughout the year.
    I love traveling in September and October. It’s almost always my vacation time of year. I prefer September for personal reasons far too detailed for a forum post, and October for many of the reasons you describe. At least, in much of the northern hemisphere Ireland in October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updating now that I have my packing done. I used Stylebook for the first time in planning my capsule wardrobe and I LOVE it.

Everything for this trip fits into my S25, but...

I’m actually putting the fully-packed S25 into a hard-sided TravelPro spinner. On the way home, I’ll carry the S25 and check the spinner with souvenirs, including whiskey, hence the hard side case (and some inflatable bottle sleeves).

A couple of new or newish things for this trip that I’m excited about:
    • Betabrand travel sweatshirt dress—this is a silk/cotton blend and it’s incredibly comfy and has pockets
    • Wooly merino leggings—snagged the sale pattern, but I think the raspberry color is really pretty
    • Lewis N. Clark packing organizer—kind of a cross between cubes and a folder. It has separate pockets inside and it is my current fave packing accessory
    • Propét booties—these are soooooo light, but still comfy and supportive for lots of walking and light hiking
    • And, saving the best for last: LASIK! First time in my life traveling without contacts or glasses
    Last edited by kathryn; 10-09-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: formatting
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Congrats on the lasik. Seeing with good eyes is the ultimate dream.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised you need both a roll aboard and the S25 for that load.

How warm is that jacket you are taking? Is it big enough for you to layer?

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ireland in October

Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    I'm surprised you need both a roll aboard and the S25 for that load.
    The roll aboard is just empty space that I’ll use on the way home Ireland in October

I don’t plan to actually carry it that way, since it’s a little too super-marsupialized for easy access en route and the S25 is just a smidge too I tall to comfortably zip into my international sized spinner—why the frame sheet is not in the S25, but loose in the suitcase. But everything will be in the roll aboard (including the S25).

I plan to fill the spinner with souvenirs and dirty clothes and check on the way home. I love whiskey, and you can see my inflatable bottle sleeves in the second photo ready for their delicious cargo Ireland in October

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am headed to Ireland in a week too!

Regarding the car: I am going to recommend automatic if you can find one for a reasonable fee, in order to remove a stress variable. My husband is Irish but has lived in the US for 30 years. It still takes him a day or so to readjust to driving on the opposite side. The problem is that when you travel, there are so many additional things to pay attention to... unfamiliar roads, amazing scenery, roundabouts, etc. The roads are often quite narrow, which means you are passing cars on the opposite side with less clearance. Like others say, it is common to instinctively drift left to give yourself a comfort zone from passing cars, to the point where the left side of your car gets dangerously close to the curb, and occasionally grazes it. As a passenger sitting on the left side of the car, it can be quite unnerving. I have noticed that phenomenon from every American(ized) driver I have ridden with. So you will have to make sure that you pay attention to staying centered in your lane (it will feel like you are too far right and in danger of sideswiping passing cars) and not drifting left.

I am sure you could adjust to a manual transmission on the opposite side, but we have decided we enjoy our journeys more when we don’t have to worry about that one extra thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I am headed to Ireland in a week too!

Regarding the car: I am going to recommend automatic if you can find one for a reasonable fee, in order to remove a stress variable.
    That's awesome! I hope you have a great time Smilie

I did chicken out and get the automatic, because I found a decent weekly deal. Having driven in Japan with an automatic, I actually feel pretty confident that I can adapt more quickly without the manual to worry about.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice! I hope you have a wonderful time. I love Ireland.

Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying the “photo tax” for all the advice!

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely photos of Norn’ Iron! We are staying at Bushmills Inn next week! How’s the weather been? Looks a bit chilly and rainy

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Looks a bit chilly and rainy
    And windy! Hope it at least clears up for you. Every day so far has been more clouds than sun, but it’s still beautiful 😊

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semi-related question, does anyone here know if you can take a rental car from London over to Ireland on the ferry then up to Northern Ireland and into Scotland on the ferry? I've heard rental car companies might make this an issue with insurance etc as travelling through multiple countries? Any advice would be appreciated!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Paying the “photo tax” for all the advice!

Amazing photo's - thanks for sharing! Where are those amazingly shaped rocks?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Semi-related question, does anyone here know if you can take a rental car from London over to Ireland on the ferry then up to Northern Ireland and into Scotland on the ferry? I've heard rental car companies might make this an issue with insurance etc as travelling through multiple countries? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Post-Brexit, I wouldn’t count on it but ask again in a few months or email a rental company directly. It’s just so confusing right now.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Amazing photo's - thanks for sharing! Where are those amazingly shaped rocks?
    The hexagonal rocks are at the Giant’s Causeway in NI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2