Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Costa Rica
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollerboard vs. Tom Bihn for longish European business trip

Something similar to this has probably been posted before, but maybe we can update it.

I've been doing pretty well for the last 8-9 years with an A45 or more recently a Hero's Journey for business travel. My typical business travel is a mix of business casual office work and meetings, and farm visits. Now I have a two- to three-week trip in October strictly for fundraising and similar to Europe: the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, some of Scandinavia, and the UK.

I will most likely have to pack a suit, an alternate pair of dress pants, 2-3 dress shirts, plus a business laptop and the usual associated electronic paraphernalia. Yes there will be train travel and probably some short hikes from train stations to hotels in Amsterdam, Bonn, Bern, Copenhagen, etc.

Roller-board, or Hero's Journey or A45 plus a packed day bag (Pilot or Synapse)? I'd like to hear some thoughts from those who have done some similar travel with similar wardrobes with Tom Bihn bags. Thanks.

Oh yes, I forgot to add that many meetings may require bringing luggage along because we leave from them to our next destinations. So there is that additional impression of "who is this guy in a suit hauling a backpack?" unless I switch to a shoulder strap just before arriving.
    Last edited by tdivcr; 08-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above two main bags are fine for European train travel but may max out for carry on for air travel depending on your airlines and routes. Do check carefully as some allowances are less than generous. On Ryanair, the max depth is 20cm including all wheels and straps!
    Many European airlines do not allow a personal item, it is one bag only, or allow only a very small personal item. The Synapse will be too big in almost all cases; the Pilot will be ok about 50% of the time.
    8kg carry on allowances are also common and watch out for the airlines who weigh your carry on and personal item together and only let you have 10kg total.
    So it is well worth checking.
    Sorry if I am repeating stuff you already know, but I've been flying regularly lately and have seen way too many people caught out.

For the same use case my husband takes either his Tri star or if he has a larger luggage allowance a Patagonia MLC (older version) which is slightly bigger.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have traveled both ways via train and plane. I now use a spinner because a few years ago my back said I needed to stop with backpacks.

As stated previously, airlines have varying restrictions on size and weight of carry ons but if you pack correctly this should not be a problem. And if you are on a business trip, then the extra small amount to take a personal item on board is, I'm guessing, not a problem.

Both types of bag will work and can be managed on numerous transportation options. I fly, train and even bus all over Europe without a problem.

As for image, that depends on the industry. What are other people in your company/industry doing?

The only issue might be the farm visits. If over non-paved terrain, the wheels could be an issue.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the A45 can transition from backpack to shoulder carry to hand carry, I would use it. I've been successful running through European airports and train stations and getting on trains using the A45 in backpack mode. When visiting a farm, you may want the backpack mode instead of a roller suitcase. For bringing the A45 to a business meeting, just handcarry, or use the shoulder strap. The Pilot will double as a briefcase or personal item and is easy to carry with an A45 because you can do shoulder or handcarry.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take an A45 and the smallest shoulder/crossbody bag that will hold your laptop as a personal bag. I would wear the suit coat onboard and stash it in the overhead with the A45 (or tucked inside if it isn’t overpacked).

Roller bags in cities with rough pavements are a joke IMHO.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have occasionally complaining hips, so I carry an S25 and a small spinner. I bungee the S25 to the spinner for longer walks (like O'Hare airport changing terminals), but am saving for the new Synik, which has a pass-through!
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!