Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Forgive me for hijacking this thread! I am also going to Hawaii (Big Island) for 5 days in mid October, but am also doing layovers in Seattle and San Francisco, respectively.

Essentially the trip is as follows:
    CHI > SEA > KOA > SFO > CHI

I’m a pretty experienced traveler and light packer but have never been to Hawaii! I have also never done a trip with colder climates and tropical climates. On the Island, we'll be driving all around - one night on the Hilo side, one night at Volcano National Park, and a few nights on the beach near Kona.

After researching and reading this thread, here is where my list stands. This includes what I’ll be wearing on planes. I’m trying to get all of this into my A30. My husband usually carries the coffee supplies but I’d like to be able to fit them into my bag on this trip. I am open to any and all suggestions and thoughts - especially where I have added a “?”. Also, I’m not sure if the Keen sandals will be sufficient for hiking in Hawaii or if I need to bring my hiking shoes instead.

Clothes:
    1 Prana Briann Pants
    2 Shorts
    - Black “Hiking” Shorts
    - Jean Shorts
    3-4 Shirts
    - 1 Icebreaker Merino V-Neck Tee
    - 1 Wool & Prince Button Down
    - 1 Solid Color T-shirt
    - 1 Short Sleeve Blouse?
    1 Icebreaker Merino Tank (undershirt)
    1 Swimsuit cover-up
    2 Swimsuits
    3 Dresses
    - Wool& Rowena Dress (long sleeved)
    - Wool& Avery Dress
    - Eddie Bauer Departure Sleeveless Shirt Dress
    1 Icebreaker Merino Wool Skirt
    1 Pair Tights
    Leggings?
    1 Gray Cardigan
    4 Ex Officio Underwear
    2 Bras
    2 pairs socks

Shoes (Size 6 so these are quite small):
    Keen “Rose” Hiking/Water Sandals
    Black Flats
    Sanuk Boat Shoes

Accessories:
    Daylight Backpack (Halcyon, for hiking)
    and/or PCSB (Also Halcyon)
    Packable Tote Bag (for beach)
    Baseball Cap
    Prescription Sunglasses
    Outdoor Research Helix II Rain Jacket (also used as windbreaker)
    Totes Mini Umbrella?
    Pack Towel or Turkish Towel?
    Water Bottle

Coffee Supplies:
    Electric Kettle
    Sea to Summit Foldable Pourover
    Filters
    Ground Coffee (will likely bring enough for a few days and buy new beans in Seattle & Kona)

Spiff Kit with Toiletries:
    Makeup (concealer, foundation, blush)
    Face Wash
    Day & Night moisturizers
    Razor
    Reef Safe Sun Block
    Foldable Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Bug Spray
    Mini Flat Iron

Electronics:
    Kindle + Cable
    12” Macbook + charger
    USB-C Hub for Macbook
    iPhone + cable
    Watch + Cable
    USB Charger

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should be fine with layering your merino wool items, but it can get cool at altitude. You donít need hiking boots, but I wouldnít wear sandals if youíre walking on the trails. Any good athletic shoe (such as you might wear on the plane) will do.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to Volcano National Park and want to walk around, you may want a pair of sturdy hiking shoes and some gloves. Lava rocks are very sharp and can tear up sandals and boat shoes very quickly. Also, the natural human tendency when you fall is to use your hands to break a fall. This is why the gloves are nice to have as they will protect your hands from the sharp rocks.

The mountains, such as Mauna Kea, can get very cold, but if you are going to be in Hilo, Kona, and Volcano National Park, it doesn't tend to get cold at those places.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You should be fine with layering your merino wool items, but it can get cool at altitude. You donít need hiking boots, but I wouldnít wear sandals if youíre walking on the trails. Any good athletic shoe (such as you might wear on the plane) will do.
    Thank you, moriond! Appreciate the advice from a local.

SUGGESTIONS? PACKING LIST FOR 5 DAYS IN HAWAI'I-35507-brindleshitake-l-jpg
    These are the hiking sandals I was referring to - they have a closed toe. Do you think they would suffice if I wore them with socks on the trails? Or should I just suck it up and bring an extra pair of shoes? Thank you!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These videos we just uploaded might provide some inspiration

How To Pack for a Family Trip to Hawaii: Part One

How To Pack for a Family Trip to Hawaii: Part Two

Blog post w/a Q&A:
    https://blog.tombihn.com/packing-tip...ly-trip-hawaii
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ifer,

While @Darcy's links to the blog video on packing light for a family visit to Hawaii are very useful, an essential difference between the trip that was described there, and your own vacation plans, is that the trip described in Zeke's Hawaiian packing videos was, I assume, essentially a beach vacation on Maui that did not involve extensive hiking. (In fact, had they planned to do something like view Sunrise from the summit of Haleakala, which is a popular attraction on Maui, but not something included in their vacation plans, I would have suggested that they needed to prepare for colder weather -- probably around 50ļ F, but could feel colder depending on wind, even though this is only 10,000 feet elevation, since it's before sunrise.)

@NClens is correct that your shoes should be sturdy enough (e.g., not open sandals) to walk along the trails of Volcano National Park. Here's a link to one of the pages on Volcano activity that is maintained by the Park titled What's Going On With The Volcanoes?

Notice that they state: PLEASE BE AWARE
    Beginning in May, 2018, the lava lake that existed inside Halema‘uma‘u crater disappeared and lava flows from Puʻu ʻŌʻō crater have ceased. There is no molten lava or lava glow to see anywhere in or out of the park.
    The black volcanic rock that you see in the pictures is typical of the texture of the result of lava outflows (you'll also see this surrounding the airfield in Kona on the approach). There are sections of the Park trails near the parking lots, mostly where there are trees, where you'd probably be OK not walking with closed shoes. That same web page has a link on top to what's currently open and what's not. If you were walking the portions of the Kilauea Iki trail (across the crater) I definitely would have closed shoes. Thurston Lava Tube, which is a shorter section, and closer to the parking lot, still appears to be closed.

Another comment: there are Bed and Breakfasts near Volcano National Park, but be aware that most restaurants in Hawaii tend to close by 10:00 p.m., and that the nearest big city location will be Hilo. (There are some very good restaurants in Hilo, but again, figure on a 10 p.m. closure. About the only place that is reliably open 24 hours is Ken's House of Pancakes.)

Are you flying into Hilo or Kona? And are you doing a direct flight from the Mainland or using one of the interisland carriers from Honolul? Southwest started serving the Big Island earlier this year (to Kona), so fares there are more competitive. They're scheduled to start flying to Hilo (and to Lihue Kaui) later this year or early 2020, but it hasn't happened yet. If you fly in to Hilo from Honolulu, sitting on the right side of the plane will give you a view of Mauna Kea and the Hamakua Coastline (north section of the island) with its waterfalls as you approach. The left side will give you a view of Maui.

I know there are other folks on this forum (like @Hawaii), who often visit the Big Island, and can offer advice.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    If you are going to Volcano National Park and want to walk around, you may want a pair of sturdy hiking shoes and some gloves. Lava rocks are very sharp and can tear up sandals and boat shoes very quickly. Also, the natural human tendency when you fall is to use your hands to break a fall. This is why the gloves are nice to have as they will protect your hands from the sharp rocks.

The mountains, such as Mauna Kea, can get very cold, but if you are going to be in Hilo, Kona, and Volcano National Park, it doesn't tend to get cold at those places.
    We just went and this is all I took.

They have good trails at volcanoes and it was safe. I used my keens and just made sure I had sun protection.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the insight! It sounds like I need to rethink my packing list a bit - especially the hiking shoes.

One thing that I don't think was clear in my original reply was that we're staying 2 nights in Seattle and 2 nights in San Francisco on either end of the trip - so I'm packing for beach time, hiking in hawaii, urban exploring and fancy dinners. Looking ahead at weather it's going to be much cooler in Seattle than I thought so I'm going to need to bring a fleece or something as well.

Hoping to do a test pack this weekend and report back!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    We're only going to Honolulu.
    Drop half your list and hit up the Uniqlo store in the Ala Moana mall. Then youíll have new clothes for the second half of the trip and can skip one laundry. Plus the limited edition Hawaii prints are great souvenirs, and better than the shirts in ABC etc.

Itís worth it just to come home with a new batch of Airism undies, as I donít have a Uniqlo in my state.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I wish I'd seen those videos BEFORE my trip!!!!)
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evenings are cool and dry in Hawaii, so you might be able to get away with bringing one dress and buying one there. They have some lovely unique dresses at quite reasonable prices, and very comfortable and packable, too!
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Thanks for your help with my packing list. We're flying out to Seattle after work today so my bags are sitting next to me packed and ready to go!

I ended up buying a pop tote to carry with my A30. It holds my laptop, water bottle, sweater, kindle, cables and side effect with phone, wallet, etc. This is a great bag and I'm looking forward using it on this trip! I had to bring a heavier jacket than anticipated because it's going to be in the 40s when we leave Chicago and arrive in Seattle. I opted for my "triclimate" jacket because it's a rain jacket and cold weather jacket in one. I opted to lose the skirt and swim cover-up, which took up a lot of room, in favor of a couple more shirts and another pair of pants.

My husband is carrying the coffee supplies so I can bring my hiking shoes. I'd have preferred to make due with the Keens but I don't want to miss a hike on account of not having proper shoes. He's also bringing the toothpaste, sunblock, and bug spray.

Thanks again for all of the help! I'll report back after the trip. Here's a list and a visual of the clothes (including what I'm currently wearing).

SUGGESTIONS? PACKING LIST FOR 5 DAYS IN HAWAI'I-hawaii-png

Outerwear:
    The North Face Thermoball Triclimate Jacket

Clothes:
    2 Prana Briann Pants
    2 Shorts
    - Black “Hiking” Shorts
    - Lightweight Jean Shorts
    6 Shirts
    - 2x Icebreaker Merino Tees
    - 1 Wool & Prince Button Down
    - 2x short sleeve blouses
    - 1 Cotton Tee
    2x Icebreaker Merino Tank (undershirt)
    1 Uniqlo Airsm Tank (Undershirt)
    2x Swimsuits
    3 Dresses
    - Wool& Rowena Dress (long sleeved)
    - Wool& Avery Dress
    - Madewell Sleeveless black dress
    1 Pair Tights
    Leggings
    1 Gray Cardigan
    4 Ex Officio Underwear
    3 Bras
    4 pairs socks
    Pajamas

Shoes (Size 6 so these are quite small):
    Keen “Rose” Hiking/Water Sandals
    Black Sneakers
    Columbia Hiking Shoes
    Sanuk Sandals

Accessories:
    Daylight Backpack (Halcyon, for hiking)
    PCSB (Also Halcyon)
    Baseball Cap
    Prescription Sunglasses
    Totes Mini Umbrella
    Turkish Towel
    Water Bottle

Spiff Kit with Toiletries:
    Makeup (concealer, foundation, blush)
    Face Wash
    Day & Night moisturizers
    Razor
    Foldable Toothbrush
    Mini Flat Iron
    Feminine Products

Electronics:
    Kindle + Cable
    12” Macbook in case
    USB-C Hub for Macbook
    iPhone + cable
    Watch + Cable
    USB Charger
    Last edited by ifer; 10-11-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A30/PT combo is my favorite for long trips. I hope you have a great time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2