Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUGGESTIONS? PACKING LIST FOR 5 DAYS IN HAWAI'I

Wish we could stay longer than 5 days, but juggling family work/school schedules and this is the best we could come up with.

It will take us 3 planes, starting with a red-eye to LA (ugh) to get back home. That will be rough.
    (And then, a few hours of getting home, we load up the car again and take Youngest Child to college, 7 hours away. ...)

So far I've got:

In small spinner:
    5 lightweight T-shirts
    2 pairs shorts
    1 skirt with slip
    underwear and socks
    sandals, flip flops
    thin beach towel
    2 swimsuits (I HATE putting on wet swimsuits)
    lightweight pajamas
    tiny umbrella

In S25:
    quart size ziplock bag with:
    3-oz sunblock
    2-oz contact lens solution
    toothpaste/brush
    hairbrush/comb
    deodorant
    lavender/peppermint essential oil roll-on (great for headaches)

water bottle
    Trekology inflatable camping pillow
    1st aid kit with meds, chewing gum, mints, melatonin gummies (for redeye flight)
    13" macbook air
    snake charmer with various chargers
    over-ear headphones
    packing cube with gluten-free food (instant oatmeal cups, trail mix, peanut butter Chex (amazing munchie food, travels better than chips), dried mangos, seaweed rolls*, teriyaki mochi rice bites**, and NuGo bars)
    Side effect with Nik's wallet, ghost whale with some cash, keys, more mints (can never have too many mints), lip balm, cell phone, charger.

To wear on plane: T-shirt,pants, sneakers, compression socks (recommended by TB forum members!), hoodie

WHAT AM I FORGETTING???

In case anyone is interested:
    *Seaweed rolls: https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Kae-Noi-J.../dp/B00DJ60V9W But we get them much cheaper at the Asian store.
    **Teriyaki mochi rice bites: https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Tropics-C.../dp/B07KRNJ7K4
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hats and sunglasses to protect the head and eyes from sunlight?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, yes, THANK YOU! I actually did pack a hat, forgot the sunglasses, running to get them now (I still have a couple of days before we leave)....

I'm in SW Pennsylvania, where I think we have the least amount of sunlight anywhere in the US. I read that we actually have one of the highest per-capita sunglasses sales numbers, and I think it's because we hardly ever need them. On those vanishingly rare occasions when the sun comes out, nobody can bear to open their eyes -- and nobody can find their sunglasses! So we all go running to buy more sunglasses...
    Last edited by Izzy; 08-03-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on where you're staying, they may have beach towels. Most of the AirBnBs that I've seen tend to provide them, along with chairs, etc. and some of the hotels/resorts do too.

I suggest either buying a big container of reef safe sunscreen when you get there or using amazon to ship to arrive to wherever you're staying for when you get there... 3oz isn't going to get you far.

An inexpensive small/packable tote or pack to haul stuff around, to the beach, etc. The S25 will obviously work, but you may not want to get sand, sunscreen, etc. in it and it may be bigger than you need.
    Not to mention if it gets stolen while you're in the water (not that Hawaii is a huge theft area, I'm just saying things sometime disappear off of beaches where there's lots of tourists)

Not sure why you would need socks except for the plane... Unless you're up at elevation on one of the volcanoes, it just doesn't get cold there.

I wouldn't bother with the umbrella. If it rains, you get wet, you dry off very quickly.

A sunblocking long sleeve shirt is useful or some sort of sun blocking cover up. Hopefully your long pants from the plane are lightweight and can be worn again for sun blocking.

Portable battery for your phone(s)...especially if you're out and about all day and using maps, etc.

Some ziplocks to help keep any electronics away from sand, water, sunscreen, etc.

Have a great trip!!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you have a washer/dryer? What kind of place are you staying at? Do you want to have everything you will need on hand or do you plan on buying stuff there?

I would also bring:

mosquito repellent
    a long sleeve sun/swim shirt
    tank tops instead of t shirts, but everyone has different preferences

We bring snorkel gear on tropical trips.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, we stay in AirBnB's on vacation, but this time, we're staying at a hotel. We figure we're only going to be sleeping there, so we're cramming 2 to a bed. We're there so short a time, we didn't want to spend any of it shopping and cooking.

There's a coin laundry at the hotel, but no guarantee that we'll be able to use it, so I'm planning on washing a couple things in the sink, no big deal. Hotel shampoo makes excellent sink laundry detergent, did you know?

Totes and ziplock bags are great ideas, I have them, I just didn't think to pack them!

We're not planning on checking any bags, so any mosquito repellent would have to be solid or less than 3 oz. We may get that and the big bottle of sunscreen there. We just wanted to run right to the beach when we arrive, without having to go shopping first, hence the 3 oz.

Thank you for all the great ideas, please keep'em coming!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Unless you're up at elevation on one of the volcanoes, it just doesn't get cold there.
    Oh, I'd forgotten this until you posted about it not getting cold, @G42--during my only two trips to Hawaii (Oahu island), which I think were both in May of their respective years, I carried a thin rayon overshirt with me and had it on and off repeatedly throughout the day because a light breeze would come up and I'd want another layer, then the breeze would die down and I'd be too warm in my extra layer. Everyone's mileage may vary.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Everyone's mileage may vary.
    Agreed... my brain just stalls when contemplating socks in Hawaii though
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "mosquito repellent would have to be solid or less than 3 oz. "

I bring mosquito repellent wipes. They aren't subject to any liquids rules.

RE: socks... I bring socks to Hawaii, as I hike while there. I also wear socks on the flights.

RE: overshirts or sweaters, I always pack and use one. First, for the flights. Also, it depends on the time of the year how cold it gets. In Winter, I need a light jacket every night in Hawaii. In Summer, only on some evenings and during rainstorms.... but what island is OP going to? There are also tall, cold mountains on some islands... Haleakala, Mauna Kea, etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lami View Post
    "mosquito repellent would have to be solid or less than 3 oz. "

I bring mosquito repellent wipes. They aren't subject to any liquids rules.

but what island is OP going to? There are also tall, cold mountains on some islands... Haleakala, Mauna Kea, etc.
    We're only going to Honolulu. I didn't even THINK about mosquito repellent wipes! GREAT IDEA! Adding those to tomorrow's shopping list, thank you!!!!!

Forum Member
    near SFO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to Honolulu many times and never needed mosquito repellant.
    Also note that in Honolulu there are ABC stores every few blocks where you can easily pick up extra sunscreen, snacks if need be.
    Agree you can leave out umbrella. Definitely yes to a foldable tote to use as a beach bag.

I would pack just 1 pair of socks so you have clean ones for the flights home. I always get cold on the plane, so wear a cashmere cardigan.
    A hoodie would also be Ok, just more bulky. You are unlikely to wear it while there, just on the plane for warmth.

Aloha!

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from an 11 day trip to 3 of the islands. You won’t need a beach towel as most hotels will provide one. Also, there is no need for the mosquito repellant - there aren’t any native to the islands (at least according to our native guide). We never saw a single one. It is possible to climb to over 10,000 feet at Haleakala (Maui). Trust me - it is plenty chilly up there.

You will have a great time!
    S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/Solar; GES25/Coyote, GES25/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA/Steel, SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Canyon, MCB/Wasabi, MCB/Canyon; LCB Steel/Navy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There might not be native mosquitoes, but there are plenty of non-native ones there. I've also been many times; I have needed repellent, even just walking to Waikiki from the zoo side of the beach. We got eaten alive during our winter trip this year, but we also hiked in the jungle a lot. That is where you can especially encounter them. Also, perhaps they are less common in dry season and maybe it depends on blood type. Anyway, I do agree if one is not the type mosquitoes prefer and they only stay in Waikiki, they'd be fine.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím headed there in a week or so, hereís my list:
    2 tank tops
    1 hiking shorts
    1 plain shorts (debating taking these out)
    1 leggings*
    1 ably shirt*
    1 dress
    Socks and undies
    2 swimsuits (1 swimsuit is shorts and a tankini so I can wear it as clothing)
    Rash guard (because I fluoresce)
    Columbia spf shirt*
    Rain jacket
    Hat
    Sandals for dress (Iím splurging on space with these)
    Flip flops
    Keen sandals for hiking*

*to wear on plane

Turkish towel
    Umbrella
    sunglasses
    Camera
    Prescription goggles for snorkeling
    USB cables
    Phone battery
    Packable backpack
    Zero waste kit (spork, collapsible water bottle, collapsible coffee mug, bandanna)

Sunscreen sticks (reef safe)
    Shampoo and conditioner bars
    Tooth tabs
    Mouthwash tabs
    Lotion bar
    Other toiletries

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post

We're not planning on checking any bags, so any mosquito repellent would have to be solid or less than 3 oz. We may get that and the big bottle of sunscreen there. We just wanted to run right to the beach when we arrive, without having to go shopping first, hence the 3 oz.

!
    Go to any Abc store on your way down to the beach and get what you need there, not even out of your way I bet!

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast