Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

In the mountains
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Times TB has Saved the Travel Day!

I have had several instances in the past few months where my TB bags have saved me a lot of headache and frustration while traveling. I thought it might be fun to share and also to hear about similar situations from others. I searched the forums a bit, but didnít see this as a focused topic, so I figured I would start a new thread. I guessed at this forum header as the best fit, so mods please feel free to move it thereís another that fits better. Thanks!

Most recently, my TB bags saved the day on a return flight from Lisbon. We were delayed over 2 hours out of Lisbon, jeopardizing my connection in Dulles. When we finally landed I had 20 minutes to make my connecting flight - meaning 20 minutes to deplane, clear customs, and get to my next gate. Impossible, right? Not with TB bags! With my A30 on my back and my travel docs handy in my TC, I was able to skip the checked bag retrieval, hurry through customs (thankful also for Global Entry), and sprint to the next gate just in time to board before the doors closed. It turns out I was the only one from the Lisbon flight to make the connection because I didnít have checked bags (on international flights you have to retrieve your checked bag and then recheck it when you land in the US). I was out of breath, but elated to not have to deal with a missed flight and more delays. Thanks TB!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the mountains
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In another instance, I was traveling to Florida for a family visit and was booked on United Basic Economy. With Basic Economy youíre only allowed a ďpersonal itemĒ onboard and United makes you check in at the ticket counter to ensure youíre not bringing a bigger bag. The counter attendant on this day was being VERY particular and I watched her reject several bags people were trying to pass as personal items (forcing them to pay checked baggage fees). I had my A30 on my back and my TC crossbody for travel docs. I had left one of the end pockets mostly open in case I needed to pack the TC inside on the flight, but I was still feeling a bit anxious as I got up to check in. The counter attendant eyed my A30 and then sent me on my way, much to my relief! Not only did I not want to pay baggage fees, but I really, really didnít want to check my A30! So I guess I can safely say the A30 will pass as a personal item, even under the critical eye of United.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I had a water bottle malfunction dump all the water into the inside of my Synapse25. The inside of the entire bag was wet and the lower front pocket was damp. My camera was ruined, but everything else was in Tom Bihn organizers or pouches and it was all perfectly dry! The outside of the Synapse25 was perfectly dry!

My clothes were in Packing Cube Shoulder Bags. All papers were in Double Organizer Pouches. My travel sudoko puzzle book was loose, but tucked between the Organizers, so it was barely damp on the corners.

The seam coverings in the Synapse25 and on the Organizers and Pouches had absorbed a significant amount of water. So while the main compartment of the Synapse25 was dripping wet, there wasn't that much water. It was amazing!

On arrival at my destination, I emptied all the Pouches and Organizers and hung them up overnight. The Synapse25 interior got a thorough wipe down and was propped open all night. In the morning, the seam tape was still a bit damp, but I had to leave. Everything got packed back where it had been and I was off with my rental car. That evening, I unpacked it all and hung it up overnight again. It was thoroughly dry by morning.

I was and still am astonished that everything in the Organizers, Pouches, and Packing Cubes was dry! The camera was in a soft case and was a total loss, but I'm okay with that.

The annoyance of having to dry out all my clothes and belongings was avoided. That convenience was worth ten times what I paid for each Tom Bihn product! Thank you, Mr. Bihn and Awesome Crew, for such amazing products! elisa

ETA corrected an omission.
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 10-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread!

While in Japan heading to catch the Shinkansen one morning we decided to stop and pick-up coffee and breakfast to take on the train. With my A30 on my back and small crossbody bag this was very easy as I had both hands free to juggle the coffee, breakfast and my JRP easily. My companions who had wheely bags did not find this as easy. They struggled to move their wheely bags (including up stairs) while holding the coffee and food and getting out their JRP to show the trail ticket officers, made me feel like my choice to one bag it was definitely the right one!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first trip with my A30 and SK was also my first time ever travelling solo. I travelled with my parents to Washington DC for a week, and then they went on to Europe for a river cruise and I moved into a hostel in Washington DC to begin a week of solo sightseeing. Kind of cheating on the solo travel, but the point was a test run by myself before going on a big solo trip overseas.

This was in March, while all of those Boeing planes were being grounded. The day I was supposed to go home to Canada I had turned off my phone data (I knew the way to the airport, and since I was only going to be in the US for a few hours I didnít want to waste money for the international phone plan that day). On the way to the airport, the silver metro line wasnít going all the way to the bus stop I needed. I had to reroute at the metro stop where I had free wifi. I got to the airport a little later than planned, got through customs, and when I got to my gate discovered that my flight had been cancelled because the plane was grounded. And the airport wifi was down.

Literally everyone else spent hours in line to rebook their flights and get their checked baggage back. I phoned the help line to get rebooked and had my A30 on my back the whole time. They rebooked me at a different airport, so I had to reload my metro card and make my way back across the city (I didnít feel like standing in that huge line of rebooked people for a free taxi ride).

I didnít get food or coffee until 2pm that day because of all the rushing around, I ended up having to turn my data back on so that I could receive emails with instructions about my cancelled flight, and I didnít leave Washington DC until 4pm (which was when I was supposed to be arriving back in Calgary).
    The flight leaving Washington was very delayed, so my layover in Montreal was way shorter than I would have liked. I ended up running to catch my flight, but I made it.

I had never been more grateful that I travel carry on only than I was that day, and I was so ridiculously grateful to be able to carry my bag on my back. The organization of my SK made security so easy (I know by feel where everything is in my SK because of the excellent pockets), and I had intentionally packed everything that had to come out for TSA into one corner of an end pocket of the A30 so that I could move as quickly as possible. It was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by one acorn View Post
    In another instance, I was traveling to Florida for a family visit and was booked on United Basic Economy. With Basic Economy you’re only allowed a “personal item” onboard and United makes you check in at the ticket counter to ensure you’re not bringing a bigger bag. The counter attendant on this day was being VERY particular and I watched her reject several bags people were trying to pass as personal items (forcing them to pay checked baggage fees). I had my A30 on my back and my TC crossbody for travel docs. I had left one of the end pockets mostly open in case I needed to pack the TC inside on the flight, but I was still feeling a bit anxious as I got up to check in. The counter attendant eyed my A30 and then sent me on my way, much to my relief! Not only did I not want to pay baggage fees, but I really, really didn’t want to check my A30! So I guess I can safely say the A30 will pass as a personal item, even under the critical eye of United.

I wear my SE crossbody so when I sit in the bulkhead I always have access to the stuff I need in flight and never need to pull my bag out of the overhead. I've done this dozens of times -- turns out a small crossbody bag is an extra space packing freebie!

Also, I carried my synik 30 onto one of those flights where they spend 20 minutes announcing it's full so they're going to be checking bags. They checked sizes on many bags before me, but didn't even look twice at the Synik. It fit under the seat in front of me, and I didn't have to sweat overhead bin space.