Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Travel with Mom

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Travel with Mom

I need your help!

I am going on a trip with my mother next June. She insists that she will be checking her bag and I should do the same.

I prefer to travel with a backpack for clothes and toiletries and crossbody purse for necessities during the flight.
    I have chosen the new Synik for my backpack and am in the process of finding the right bag for the necessities of flight.

My dilemma is this. My mother will be 74 at the time of the trip and as we are going to Glasgow and Paris, I think she will need some help carrying her bag over the cobblestones in Paris on our way to and from the airport.

Should I use my rolling bag and check it (as she wants) or do I use my backpack and potentially have hands free to help her with her luggage if she needs it. I often have to help her carry her bag up and down stairs now, as she has bad balance.

Help!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with your plan of backpack + cross body for you and helping her with her (hopefully small) rolling bag. That way she has her hands free to hold on to hand rails, etc.

You don't even have to check her rolling bag, if it's in the size limit. If you can get it into the overhead bin, you can do that for your mom. She can carry a small cross body bag for what she wants at her seat.

To me it would depend on how light you both go on your stuff... regardless of whether you check the bags or not, you still have to move them around unless you can hire porters (if you can even find them)...

You have time to plan, so I'd do some test packing and see how it goes.
    No matter what, it sounds like a fun trip!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've already answered your own question - you'd like to have your hands free in case your mum needs help, which seems likely from what you've said.

You know best what is right for you.

Take the backpack and enjoy it

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your mother insists on checking a rolling bag, I'd say that the last thing you want is a rolling bag for yourself - else you might end up wrangling two rolling bags across cobblestones instead of just one. If your planned packing list will comfortably fit in the relevant size of Synik, and you're happier doing that, then I would be very upfront with your mother and tell her you are going to do your packing your way, she can do it her way, and then you'll be better able to assist her if necessary!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take what is best for you. If she wants a roller bag, ok. You don't need to listen to her about what you should do for yourself. And like you said, if you have your hands free you can help with her bag if you need to, which is better for her.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to consider is that most 2-wheel rollers have huge wheels versus the tiny wheels on 4-wheel rollers. Larger wheels help immensely on rough pavement such as cobblestones.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your instincts seem sound to me - i.e. that you should be hands-free so that you can better assist your mom.

With that said - on a recent trip my husband managed a big checked bag plus his small rollaboard - he lined them up back to back and pushed them that way. But if your mother will need any assistance herself, then fewer bags to manage makes sense.

I'd also put in the plug for spending on taxis to/from the airport - whatever transport will expedite getting you to your lodgings, even if a bit more expensive. (Since your mom insists on bringing a checked bag.) Then, once you are unencumbered by luggage, you and your mom can take your time using public transport, or walking.
    Last edited by haraya; 09-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel with Mom

I think you will definitely have to take a taxi to / from airport, from my experience Europe public transportation wasn’t very handicap friendly. Either way you’ll definitely need free hands just getting your mum and her roller through customs. Its odd that she would demand you pack a certain way. Most people just let them choose for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree that you should splurge on transportation to/from the airport that will expedite things, and that your luggage selection to leave hands free plan sounds good. Are you staying in an area of Paris with cobblestoned streets? I usually stay somewhere close to an RER-B stop, because you can go fairly directly to and from the airport (without having to pass through transfer stations where there is also an increased incidence of pickpockets). LeBusDirect is also good, but mainly if you are staying near the big stops (like Gare Mont Parnasse). if it's a problem, take a taxi! I think that they have had flat rates since 2016.

You should have a fantastic time.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your set up is perfect!

As far as your mom is concerned, let her choose the carryon among her smallest ones, so you can can keep it in the cabin.

The best way to convince anyone to not check a bag is, either bring the consequences of it being lost and all her favorite items with it and the hassle it will wasted time it will take to take it back, or the need to go shopping in places which have different size standards than anywhere else.

From now to the trip date, explain to her the 3-1-1 rule, everything liquid or gel needs to be in what amount to sample size containers. Find out if her favorite cosmetics and other items come in travel/sample size containers, if they do, buy them right away. Her favorite perfume, moisturizer, foundation... need to be decanted in smaller bottles.

Also make it clear, that unless you use a chain hotel, small ones have tiny and steep staircases, so big pieces of luggage won't fit in there. Those staircases are a health hazard.

Are you coming from the Americas, Oceania, Africa, Asia or within Europe?

If you are European. keep a close eye on Brexit matters because you might need more documents to travel from the U.K to Europe. Otherwise a passport would be all that you need.

About a month prior to your trip, keep a close eye on the weather and, of course, in France, strikes.

In Paris, your mom will have a blast shopping or just window shopping at Les Galeries Lafayette and the other department stores in Haussman's boulevard, worth a visit for the architecture alone.

I think all of those have places to eat, check the prices compared to adjacent cafes. Do indulge in French pastries.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-06-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advise.

I am going have her use her carryon size rolling bag and I will use my backpack like always. I will suggest that we go carryon only, but she is a senior vp type who has a mind of her own and doesn’t like my backpack only travel style. So we will see how it goes.