Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do people use for First Aid Kits

One thing I have never really packed much of is first aid items.
    I always think I can buy them if I need them but I feel I need to put together a basic kit.
    I have seen some on amazon that are small and have the essentials.

What do people here use? What about the Tom Bihn kit? That just seems a bit large for packing.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my first aid kits! I posted about them a couple of years ago, and I'm still using the same ones (though I've replaced some of the contents when they expired). https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...zer-pouch.html
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my EDC, I just carry a small Iberian OP with Band-Aids and a small tube of antibiotic cream. (I also carry some ibuprofen with me, though not in the first-aid OP.) The pouch I use is an all-fabric one, it slides into a full bag more easily.

(When I took the picture I remembered that I sometimes throw in extra contacts, in case I need to replace one. I have some daily disposables left over from before I switched to extended-wear. Not exactly a medical issue, but equally debilitating if one can’t see properly! )

I also have an Iberian 3D Clear Org Cube for road trips and for checked luggage: that one contains a round of antibiotics (that's the pill bottle, you can see the white cap with "CVS.com" on it), Imodium tabs (anti-diarrheal), Claritin Redi-Tabs and Zyrtec (OTC for allergies), Comtrex tabs (decongestant), albuterol inhaler, fabric tape for securing dressings, antibiotic ointment (not cream as it doesn't seem to be as stable over time), anti-itch cream (shown here is prescription clobetasone but could easily sub OTC cortisone cream) and sterile gauze pads. The clear panel on the OC is helpful for checking supplies at a glance before a trip.

Depending on the trip I will augment the kit with a thermometer and/or children's ibuprofen. It's come in handy, such as when kids have scraped themselves up (large surface area, shallow wounds) or if someone in the family has funny tummy. The abx I requested from my doctor because I was going to a country where I didn't speak the language and I wanted at least a preliminary round in case it took a while to get to a doctor. When my kids were smaller we also brought Pedialyte, just in case, though that doesn't technically fit into the kit.

- Basically that's my underlying philosophy for my travel FAK: to tide me over if I, or someone I'm traveling with, gets sick at night, or over the weekend, or if we're somewhere remote and it will take time to get to a doctor. We've taken a couple of trips where someone got sick in the middle of the night and we literally could not get in to see a doctor till the morning (our choices were to sit in a full urgent-care clinic for hours, or go back to the hotel to rest till the first available appointment in the morning). Oh, and there was the trip over Christmas to a beach town, where a blizzard hit just as my 2yo started to spike a fever and throw up repeatedly. So I at least want the option of treating things myself initially.

At home I use a couple of 3D Clear Quarter Packing Cubes as portable medicine cabinets: one for upstairs (Iberian), one for downstairs (Solar). That way it's easy to carry supplies to whomever needs bandaging. Each one has Neosporin (disinfecting spray, non-ouchy), assorted Band-Aids (my faves are the packs of the flexible fabric finger ones shaped like an "H" and like a butterfly), a pair of scissors secured to the 3DCQPC with a long key strap and a double carabiner (otherwise the scissors go walkabout), fabric tape, gauze pads, antibiotic ointment, and ideally a thermometer though that often goes wandering. The downstairs one also has Redi-Tabs.

(One thing that is not in any of the actual kit containers as described, but is always with me, is a small Swiss knife. I use the knife/scissors to cut tape or pads to fit, and tweezers to apply stuff in small, hard-to-reach spots or to remove something like a splinter. I also often travel with a headlamp and have used that once or twice to dress a wound in a dark room. We're talking minor bumps and scratches, but a little comfort goes a long way towards salvaging a mishap and allowing the vacation to proceed smoothly. And, again in the "not in the kit but part of my arsenal" are Ziploc bags and fun stickers, when going on a long flight: the baggies are in case anyone gets airsick, and the stickers are to hand out to little kids who might need a distraction.)

I am planning a trip a few months away and heard that the country is now experiencing outbreaks of measles, dengue fever, and polio. So I'm going to be packing a lot of mosquito repellent, and double-checking my vaccines! Not first aid, but preventive measures!

I have purchased pre-packaged FAKs before but have never found them very useful. The setups above are the items we've found useful over the years as a family.
    Last edited by haraya; 09-20-2019 at 11:08 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minimalist:

EDC: band-aids, blister band-aids, washable wipe.

travel: band-aids, blister band-aids, washable wipes, "tiger" balm, some painkiller/transit pills

+ sometimes lips balm when I don't forget it...

I try to figure how to store antiseptic in tiny bottle (like perfum sample bottle)
    just a Bihnion here

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my edc first aid in a Mars Red mini ghost whale: ibuprofen, allergy tab, ginger tabs, pair of vinyl gloves, band aids, blister pads, hydrocortisone cream, pepto bismol, benadryl/anti histamine, antibiotic, tiger balm, splinter remover, tweezers, oral pain cream. Most stuff is individually packaged, the tiger balm is put into a tiny cream pot meant for samples. Just enough to keep me overnight until I can get to a pharmacy.

When I travel, I also keep some cold/flu supplies as well as anti-diarrheal after that one time on a work trip when I was sick as a dog as I arrived in a strange area in the evening and couldn't get any sleep and had to function the next day. Unbeknowst to me, there was a pharmacy around the corner but feeling as sick as I was, and in an unknown area I didn't want to venture out in the dark.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO any brightly coloured bag will do, red by preference -- mine is red and has a big first aid cross on it, got it at the local salvation army fully of mostly useless bits, have replaced with stuff more useful to me. Mine's about the size of a mini q-kit or similar. The mini ghost whale in mars red sounds great, you could even paint a white cross on it for even easier identification. TB's first aid pack is too big for my needs. I take basically what sturbridge takes except I bring nail clippers and a little tick removal thing, and don't bring ginger tabs, pesto, tiger balm or oral pain cream. I also sometimes bring throat lozenges and/or emergency candy.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends entirely on what youíre concerned with while travelling.

I have quite a few body piercings, and I am guaranteed to have at least one flare up or get one caught on something and yanked while on a trip. My ďfirst aidĒ supplies include Precision Tip cotton swabs (easier to use than rounded tips for the tiny nostril piercings and my septum ring), spare ends for most of my jewelry, and spare nostril screws.
    I prefer to travel liquids free, so actually bringing saline solution or ointment is out of the question unless (for some strange reason) Iím travelling with a fresh hole in my face.

I donít typically take painkillers at home, so Iím more likely to bring ginger chews, ginger tea, tea with Valerian root to help me sleep, and a massage roller ball to help ease tension headaches and sore feet.

Iíll bring a small selection of bandaids and blister treatment pads, but again the bandaid selection is geared towards my conch or belly button rings being yanked on and needing some stability. Iíll also bring fingertip and knuckle bandaids, as that seems to be my most common ďI wish I had thought to bring thatĒ.

I keep all of the jewelry, bandaids, blister treatments, etc, in a clear pocket in my toiletries bag. The tea I keep in a ziplock bag in the same end pocket of my A30 as anything that might need to come out at TSA. Ginger chews go in my SK to be handy while in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like @haraya I pack what is most likely to be needed for times when I will want to treat something before I will be able to get to a pharmacy. I often travel as a sole adult with my kids so even getting to a really close pharmacy sometimes seems insurmountable depending on who is sick with what.

A lot of the pre packed FAKs are for serious injuries but most people I have seen on here and other travel forums pack primarily for illness and very minor injuries. Then there are the survival kits but in my daily urban life those arenít that relevant to me.

I pack paracetamol/Tylenol for me and the kids, a thermometer, finger and knee plasters/Bandaids, super glue for skin, Neosporin spray, Burtís Bees ointment, sterile wipes and gloves, and two things that are non-medical but great for emergencies: duct tape wrapped around a credit card and £20.

I prefer a Small OP over a Small Ghost Whale even though the GW is less flat, just because the zipper along just one long side keeps all the tiny things from falling out.
    Last edited by Cristina; 10-18-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on packing whatever you might want urgently, prior to finding a pharmacy. I also pack what I might not be able to get, but might need, in random countries. It's different for each trip, though.

For airline travel, I just pack each medicine in small ziplocks and put those inside a larger ziplock. I also put bandaids, neosporin, hand sanitizer wipes and kleenex in a ziplock. I then put all these into a small fabric organizer pouch.

For my next trip -- I have: NSAIDs, Imodium, allergy meds, possibly cold medicine, antibiotics ...