Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not minibars that cause the issues. I have stayed at five hotels near JFK and none have minibars. Just little, empty refrigerators.

If 21 is not a legal issue, then it is a party issue. The hotel doesn't want a guest who might throw a party in their room. This happens too often. (Some hotels will not rent to locals for the same reason. )

It will be a very long day for your daughter with four long flights.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post

It will be a very long day for your daughter with four long flights.
    Wow, more power to the OP's daughter.

Maybe I am just getting old, but the itinerary does sounds rough.

The Singapore-HongKong-JFK part of the trip alone would leave many people feeling pretty wiped out (even if everything were to run like clockwork).

Can’t imagine transitioning directly into flying NYC-Miami-Buenos Aires right after it. (I am sure I’d be pretty punchy by touchdown in BA and would need to crash for an extended time — which would negate any time ‘savings’ of having skipped the hotel break in New York.)

If I travel for too many consecutive hours, I feel like I become more prone to making exhaustion-related mistakes or to coming down with a cold. In a case like this, I would be more than happy to factor in the time and expense of a hotel in New York if it would increase the odds of enjoying the rest of the trip and help me hit the ground running at the destination.

Hopefully her youthful energy and determination will make it seem like a cakewalk, though.

Good luck to her and safe travels! :-)
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-23-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP says that her daughter wants to do it all in one day. It is doable for a teen.

She makes sure to have layers, drink a lot of water and take lots of C vitamins to fight any cold.

NYC is freezing cold in the middle of winter while the other ends are in the middle of summer's southern hemisphere, the contrasts between the 4 climates, are what could make her sick.

Do frequent travelers know if she will have time to grab a pashmina or something like it, during her layover in JFK?

It might be possible for her to buy something on the plane during the Hong-Kong/JFK leg, it will probably will have an airline logo but it can be a souvenir from the trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, that's funny about her distaste for lounges. Waiting in a crammed NYC airplane terminal gets old fast, so lounges are a life saver. JFK Terminal 8 actually is the least cramped terminal I've ever been to in NYC, though, so waiting there isn't that bad.

Sounds like she will be landing in Terminal 8 and taking off from Terminal 8 and therefore doesn't need to dress for winter.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts!

More info:. She would be coming on an individual ticket and flying out with a group booking.

Luckily she has Global entry so she shouldn't get caught up in immigration.

The flight into JFK stops in Hong Kong with a 2 hour layover.

I always would rather be at the airport early. But JFK has no hotels in the actual airport so going a day early would mean a hotel outside and the added necessary schlep to and fro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thereís the new TWA hotel at JFK that would be a cool experience for her to have. This will be one of the busier travel days of the year, JFK is always chaos, itís wintertime, and she canít miss the international flight. Since she can stay at the TWA hotel right at the airport - so no hassles with off-airport transportation - it eliminates all kinds of stress to have her come in the day before.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, posted before finishing the entire thread. Had no idea about an age requirement for checking into a hotel room. It seems that we used to get around this with a ‘note from the parent’-type thing, but it’s been years at this point since I had a situation like that. It sounds like you have it mostly worked out at this point - good luck to her! It will be an amazing experience, I’m sure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terminal reflects the outside weather, but it will be cramped, so it might be hot or warm. Make sure she packs a cardigan, a long scarf (or has the money to buy one in JFK) or both.

A wind breaker, which is a good protection for rain in warm and hot weather, can also protect against fierce winds and keep warmth in, if needed.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-27-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips! DD will definitely be hitting many different climates.

She'll be leaving from and ending in upstate New York so she'll have a winter jacket and at least some warm clothes with her.

It's going to be a long long journey from Singapore to Buenos Aires but realistically it's short flight, long flight, short flight, long flight, which may be marginally better than 4 long flights.

I remember being younger and not minding long flights. She doesn't seem to be concerned at all. The joys of youth! International connections thru JFK

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Thanks for the tips! DD will definitely be hitting many different climates.

She'll be leaving from and ending in upstate New York so she'll have a winter jacket and at least some warm clothes with her.

It's going to be a long long journey from Singapore to Buenos Aires but realistically it's short flight, long flight, short flight, long flight, which may be marginally better than 4 long flights.

I remember being younger and not minding long flights. She doesn't seem to be concerned at all. The joys of youth! International connections thru JFK

This is a wonderful opportunity for her! Traveling and cultural exchange is very exiting!

Do make sure she has her prescription in the original bottle and over the counter medicine in their original packaging, this is a must for the U.S legs of the trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually thereís a TWA hotel at JFK but donít know the costs.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time, give a travel agent a call. They know the biz, they know the tricks, they know the system, they get the deals, they can adapt what they know to particular requests or situations. Doesn’t cost you, the customer, anything.

I know folks who enjoy the challenge of researching and booking international flights. I just call my friend who has been in the travel biz for forty years. Even if her services resulted in an invoice to me, I’d gladly pay for her expertise and the peace of mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2