Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually I think most people bring way to many "just in case" items. Especially when traveling to first world countries where you could rebuy stuff anyway.

I've been traveling quite a bit for my work too. Little by little I just started leaving more and more things at home. I try to estimate the weather beforehand and then rely on 2-3 sets of appropriate clothes to bring with me. If the weather changes dramatically I'll just buy something at my travel destination. Umbrellas you can get almost anywhere. Stuff like sewing kits or other "emergency" stuff similar - either I buy them at the destination or I'll wait till I come home to sew my button. Toiletries I usually skip bringing entirely - maybe a toothbrush - other than that I rely on what the hotel provides me.

I had a severe foot injury during my last Europe trip which resulted in me searching for band-aids, anti-biotics, bandages, disinfection spray, and similar stuff at my travel destination. Wasn't too pleasant but still worked out in the end, so I didn't need any items from home. I'd still leave the stuff at home for the next trip. Maybe I'm just bad at learning from mistakes :P.

Well, that doesn't mean I travel lightly because I usually fill up the freed up space with unnecessary gadgets, camera equipment and other stuff which isn't really relevant for the business trip in the first place, but that's another story

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks pretty well pared down; certainly you "could" get rid of a lot of stuff, but that alone isn't a reason to. I like paring things down in quantity, such that I'd have to buy things at my destination after a few days, and use them up before I return. A few band-aids to stop the bleeding in a pinch; a couple doses of Claritin or NyQuil to get a good night's rest before buying more at a drugstore; a Tide-to-go to prevent you from having to do laundry every time you try the spaghetti marinara. It might be worth trying one of those phone apps that uses your screen as a daylight lamp to see if it could substitute during travel.

Do you really want to have to hunt down a sewing kit in a pinch? Literally a couple colors of thread wrapped around some card with a couple needles stuck through is all you need. It won't be the straw that breaks your back.

Perhaps a boutique brand of minimalism: how much more stuff can one fit in the same or less space/weight as others are carrying. There's certainly nothing intrinsically wrong with this philosophy.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sewing kit is very small and lives in my pencil case: thread braid, needles, threader, safety pins, and thimble. I end up doing TONS of sewing everywhere I go so I don't regret it. I take SHARP small scissor sometimes. But, with a thread braid (one of those multicolour ones) your need for scissors is much reduced, and you have lots of colours available. Dull scissors are never worth it. Pushing a needle through jeans and/or zipper and/or patch is also not worth it is why I bring a cheap thimble. Sometimes I bring buttons that double as game counters. But I've never needed to sew one on so I view them as very optional. One clear one would take care of emergencies. Also I sew tiny books to entertain the children, this is not a typical use lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2