Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why using carryon only is a smart idea!

“After review of video of the incident it was determined that the item of luggage fell off of the cart, became lodged in the wheel, and was dragged. There was no explosive device or explosion, the bag burst due to the pressure of it being run over.” say airport's investigators.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...uou-story.html

A couple of years ago, a similar thing happened to a Tom Bihn forum member Aeronaut, we wondered what happened and I thought it was a baggage system failure, but in the inner airport baggage system.

Luggage carts, are equipped with mesh zippered protective cover, but, if they are not used properly our luggage are at risk, the zippers and mesh might not be up to par. They should use the same as the ones on Tom Bihn bags.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How frustrating for the bag owner! Ack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of agree, and I've steadfastly done carry-on for many years now. However, there is something to be said for the strategy of checking the heavy stuff and carrying just a few essentials that would let you get by in a pinch -- in a small bag that lets you opt out of the tussle for overhead space. I wanted to share this article, which I think those on both sides of the issue will find as funny as I did.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There are never going to be any writing emergencies that demand I rush from the airport with my carry-on instead of waiting at baggage claim."

Hahaha! Love her!

I totally get it. Last time I did carry-on only, we had a flight delay, and the captain on our first flight told us they were holding our connection. I hustled with my trusty A30, as did another passenger who had longer legs than I. We made it to the gate, only to watch as they shut the door against us. Sadly my wonderful TB gear did not prevent an overnight in a weird airport hotel, though at least I had all my gear with me and did not have to wonder if it left for the East Coast without me nor did I have to wait late at night at baggage claim.

Thankfully I don't commute much for work any more. I am happy to check a bag on vacation these days (and carry on my just-in-case essentials in a backpack). (Although I do still stuff my carry-on with precious souvenirs sometimes!!)

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I kind of agree, and I've steadfastly done carry-on for many years now. However, there is something to be said for the strategy of checking the heavy stuff and carrying just a few essentials that would let you get by in a pinch -- in a small bag that lets you opt out of the tussle for overhead space. I wanted to share this article, which I think those on both sides of the issue will find as funny as I did.
    Last edited by haraya; 10-22-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    "There are never going to be any writing emergencies that demand I rush from the airport with my carry-on instead of waiting at baggage claim."
    It's funny that I read her article and this reddit post on the same day: https://www.reddit.com/r/onebag/comm...er_considered/

Not rushing to an emergency from baggage claim, but definitely escaping a dicey airport situation more easily with low-key carry-on bags for this couple who were in the Barcelona airport during the protests which shut the airport down.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true about ease of moving about in an emergency situation. Though if I was one-bagging it in that situation (civil unrest) I'd be less nimble, because I'd have an A30 on my back instead of an S19. I always have my bare essentials in a carry-on. I'd have no hesitation about leaving my checked bag behind in case of a threat like that.

Funnily enough, just got word of a rare business trip today. Currently debating whether to take a small rollaboard or my A30 as my main bag. Smilie

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a topic that has binary prejudices. And travelers can sure get upset about hearing the other side’s stories.

All I know is that I got screwed once when my checked bag was taken off the carousel by someone who thought it was theirs and I didn’t see my any of my valuable and absolutely necessary stuff for 36 hours.

Now, I deliberately pack light and I pack it all into one carryon bag (often an A30 but sometimes a Patagonia MLC45) along with my little personal item, a 25L backpack.

The only items I will check I have no pressing need for at the other end, like, say, my Nespresso machine.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I don't travel by air this dilemma is pleasingly irrelevant :-)

But I can say that if you travel by train as I usually do, you need to be able to carry all your stuff up and down stairs quite frequently. I choose a backpack and handbag strategy, which is kind of like carry on/personal. This can be an A30/Pop Tote (longer trips) or something more like a small backpack (I use a Fjällräven Kånken with a laptop slot) and a lunch bag (for short trip). Luggage the size of checked luggage is just not practicable for any of my trips. I am currently eyeing up the smaller Synik and the side kick or side effect...