Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag

Greetings,
    I've been using the Stylebook app for just over a year now. I've been experimenting with the wear one, pack two outfits method. It's been interesting. Merino wool makes it much easier to travel with just a small carry on bag.

I'll post photos of some of the outfits, but I'm not sure how many is too many. After playing with the three base outfits I created, using the mix and match method I've got over 50 outfits.

Here's my 19 item clothing list:

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4591-jpg

Two merino wool 150 baselayer long sleeve shirts.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4596-jpg

Two silk shirts.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4593-jpg

Two tank tops. One is synthetic and dries very quickly, it's a keeper. The blue-green one is cotton and needs to be replaced because cotton is not the most travel friendly fabric. (It's fine at home, just not ideal when traveling.)

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4595-jpg

Two very light weight skirts and one purple skort.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4592-jpg

Two pair of tights and one pair of hiking boots.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4594-jpg

Four genuine Pashmina scarves. At least one of them is part silk. All are very light and amazingly warm. They are large enough to be used as a blanket on the airplane. Folded in half, they are a perfect shawl. Folded in half twice, length wise, they make a fabulous scarf and can be tied several ways.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4597-jpg

A reversible merino wool hat and two merino wool Buffs. These are not cold weather gear, but they are helpful under frigid air conditioners and on cool fall days. (I couldn't get a good photo of the reversible hat, so I used two from the internet.)

That's the 19 item clothing list. Except for the boots, it is all very easy to wash in a ziplock bag. Every piece will be dry in less than 8 hours, except for the cotton tank top. I'll toss a travel towel in my bag to roll the wet clothing in before I hang it up to dry.

I'll be back to post more shortly. elisa

ETA to add size information.
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 11-17-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Wow, sorry about the huge photos. I don't know how to make them smaller.

I'm back with the three base outfits. They say to make a good travel wardrobe that every top should go with every bottom. I broke that rule. The pink top doesn't go with the teal skirt. That didn't make any difference, as I still have over 50 outfit possibilities.

My base outfits are three tops and three bottoms, usually with a scarf or hat. I nearly always pair these with the tights and boots. I plan to get a pair of Tieks that will match everything, so I'll have shoes for an evening out.

Here's the first base outfit:

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4598-jpg

I usually wear this during transit and it's a favorite. I usually wear a Buff and a Pashmina with this outfit on planes and trains.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4600-jpg

This is the second base outfit. It's comfortable and easy to layer.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4599-jpg

Here's the third base outfit. Because the shirt is silk, it's not for hiking or manual labor kind of days. It's a bit dressier.

That's my wear one outfit, pack two outfits standard packing list. It's good for spring, summer, and fall. For winter, I simply swap the 150 weight merino shirts for 250 weight or thicker merino shirts. I have thicker tights, too, but depending on where I'm going, I might just wear the lighter ones.

Outerwear is not part of this packing list. I'm just showing the outfits that are possible. However, for winter, spring, and fall I will wear a light jacket (fleece or down). I usually bring a packable rain jacket and a rain hat on every trip.

I'll be back later with a few sample outfits from my mix and match experiments. In the next week, I also hope to do a test pack and see just how small a bag I can travel with. elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 11-17-2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: ETA winter options.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Let's see if a screenshot is sufficient to see the individual outfits. First is the bonus round: the purple silk shirt that I usually wear as a base layer makes a beautiful dressy or casual outfit.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4604-png

That's 5 purple shirt outfits. The fabric is textured, almost in stripes, so wrinkles don't show.

Next is the pink merino wool top. I know that I've gone overboard with the Buff and hat combinations.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4601-png

There are 17 pink merino shirt outfits.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4603-png

And 14 aqua silk shirt outfits. This silk shirt is smooth and wrinkles show, so I have to be more careful when folding and packing it. After I wash it, I roll it very gently in a towel and let it hang dry. Then it really wants to be steamed to get the wrinkles out. Usually this happens while I'm in the shower. This is not too difficult, but I would love an easier care fabric that looks as dressy.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4602-png

Then 21 gray shirt outfits.

Stylebook says there are 57 outfits total. I know there are a few more possibilities I've overlooked, but I think that's quite respectable for one bag. elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 11-17-2019 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Laundry and care instructions.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, the clashing pink shirt and pink hat are actually the same color. I couldn't get the shirt to photograph true.

If anyone is interested, we can talk about strategies to create a fabulous travel wardrobe. I know my style is mostly on the casual side, but this can work for anyone's style. elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    In preparation for the test pack, here's what I'll be wearing.

Pink shirt, with both the tan tank and purple silk shirt as base layers. They are all very light and thin, so it is usually very comfortable. I'll wear one pair of tights, the purple skort and the boots. I can wear one Pashmina draped or tied around my neck. The gray Buff and the reversible hat will tuck into a Side Effect, which will be worn around my waist. (I usually have room to tuck another Pashmina into my seat bag which tucks into my one bag, but since I'm trying to pack in the smallest bag possible, I'll put all the Pashminas in the packing cube with the rest of my clothes.)

Here's what's left to pack:

1 Gray merino shirt
    1 Aqua silk shirt
    1 Blue-green cotton tank top
    2 Skirts
    1 Pair tights
    3 Pashmina scarfs
    1 Buff neckwear

I'll experiment with my packing cubes. It might be too much for a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but the large Eagle Creek Specter Compression Packing Cube will easily swallow it all and more.

Incidentals in a Stuff Sack:
    Socks (wear one pair, pack two)
    Bra (wear one, pack one)
    Underwear (wear one, pack two)
    Silk pajama top and bottoms
    It might all fit in a Size 2 Stuff Sack, but if there is room to spare with the other clothing, it might fit better there.

Toiletries all fit in a Q-kit size small.
    Snacks are in a Ghost Whale, I think it's a size small.

This might all fit in a Pilot. My new Nebulous Synapse30 is going to be jealous! elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to make more use of StyleBook! Excellent inspiration, thank you @AlaskaGirl Smilie
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The need to photograph my wardrobe really stopped me from getting started for a couple weeks. Then I figured out how to use the "clipper" under "import from web" and I was off.

For older clothes that are no longer being sold, a search for "image clothing description" may turn up what you are looking for or something similar. Sometimes I take a screenshot and import it from my phone photos. I've got a few items that I need to photograph on the next sunny day.

Don't try to do it all at once. I broke it down into sections. All my cotton shirts one week, the wool ones the following week. Waiting for a doctors appointment? I got the skirts entered. I've even got a section for bags.

These are the "Looks" for my travel bags:

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4610-jpg

A Daylight Backpack in Nordic Halcyon and a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag usually join me when I travel.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4611-jpg

The shop bag is indispensable every where. This "look" also reminds me to verify that all my gear has a luggage tag. Two sizes of Travel Tray are very helpful during travel. The Stuff Sack holds my water bottle and this reminds me to pack it.

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4612-jpg

This image is in my "Music Events" Look. I teach music lessons. I log this image on the Stylebook app calendar every time I teach a lesson. (After I log my outfit.) The Organizer Pouch holds business cards - 20 of mine, 10 of our ukulele club, and 10 from each of three local music stores. It holds a lot. The Stuff Sack holds the water bottle. The Travel Tray holds a tuner, a couple sample instrument hydrators, my lip balm, hard candy, and pocket Kleenex.

Sadly, Tom Bihn doesn't make a tote bag large enough for all the music books and gear I carry. Luckily there are a couple canvas tote bags here that are just the right size. While I wish they had the comfortable handle like the Shop Bag, they otherwise function perfectly for the task.

I have several different bag configurations for different types of music events, so each one has an image with the things I need/use for that event. The Stylebook app tracks cost per use, too! I also have a few typical outfits for certain music events. This one will get a lot of use next month:

Over 50 Outfits in One Bag-img_4613-jpg

Even if you don't have your whole wardrobe loaded into the app, you can still use it with just a portion loaded. I find it fun to let the app mix and match outfits and it usually inspires me to try new combinations. Even if you don't log a whole outfit every day, just log your slippers or your bag. It helps build the positive habit!

The Tom Bihn website photos are great in Stylebook. The app has a packing section and it's really helped me hone my one bag skills! elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 11-17-2019 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Added bag description.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Let's see if a screenshot is sufficient to see the individual outfits. First is the bonus round: the purple silk shirt that I usually wear as a base layer makes a beautiful dressy or casual outfit.
    Pretty cool, thanks for posting all this.
    I will admit that your 23% phone power gave me a twinge of anxiety though! :P (I have an old phone - if it gets that low, I'm doomed)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even though none of that stuff is my style a 6'2" dude, this is some pretty impressive work! Nice job!